**Official Yankees vs. Angels Thread**

knightni

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 06:25 PM)
Unbelievable how many base running mistakes there have been in this postseason. What the hell was Abreu doing.

He didn't expect anyone to be covering second.

It's funny, Jeter catches a cutoff that's thrown to him, notices Abreu is a quarter of the way to 3B and easily gets him at second, a play that pretty much every shortstop in baseball would have made and he gets a 10 minute blowjob from Tim McCarver because of it meanwhile Tex does something that every 1B should do but only about half actually have the brains to execute and trails on the play, covering 2B on the ball hit in the gap and there's really no mention of it. How many times have you seen a player take a huge turn around 2B on a double but the cutoff man has no play at second because no one is covering? Constantly. The 1B is supposed to follow the runner to 2B since his responsibility at first is over once that runner goes for second but you don't see it nearly often enough. It's a damn good play by Teixeira but you'd never know it from the broadcast.

I have to imagine that Yankees fans are going to be all over Girardi for that move. What ridiculous over managing. Take out the guy who has been outstanding in the playoffs and was looking great tonight for the guy who has been awful thus far in the playoffs seemingly has worse stuff. This after Robertson retires both batters he faces easily. Awful awful managing.

Simply put, Joe Girardi is a bad manager. Anybody who followed the 2006 Florida Marlins to even a modest degree knows that him winning the 2006 NL Manager of the Year is one of the biggest jokes in the history of baseball awards (he absolutely destroyed several arms on that pitching staff, killing the Marlins decent playoff chances). I still think the Yankees are a strong favorite to win the World Series simply becuase any idiot could manage a team that good to glory, but he's not good as his job and it bit them in the rear end tonight.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 08:04 PM)
Simply put, Joe Girardi is a bad manager. Anybody who followed the 2006 Florida Marlins to even a modest degree knows that him winning the 2006 NL Manager of the Year is one of the biggest jokes in the history of baseball awards (he absolutely destroyed several arms on that pitching staff, killing the Marlins decent playoff chances). I still think the Yankees are a strong favorite to win the World Series simply becuase any idiot could manage a team that good to glory, but he's not good as his job and it bit them in the rear end tonight.

I didn't watch the Marlins all that much when he managed them. I know they had really good starting pitching, especially with Josh Johnson, but I really can't speak on what he did with that team. What I do know is that his years with the Yankees have showed he really isn't all that great of a manager. Like he's much worse than Francona who people seem to think he's so great because he took a fully loaded team to two world series. He's a pretty average manager, but Girardi seems even worse.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 08:04 PM)

Couldn't agree more. Here's another move where I think he screwed up-I would have just let Rivera hit and buy another inning. They had nobody on and two outs, they probably weren't going to score anyway. Just take the automatic out and have Rivera throw another inning.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/video-marian...l-in-alcs-26566

So people are freaking out that Rivera is spitting on baseballs(as the video seems to show)

But honestly, how many times is Rivera going to throw the ball he just spit on(if he really spit on the ball)? He will get maybe 1-7 throws on that ball before it is fouled away/discarded/replaced. So is Rivera spitting on every ball that he gets? Wouldnt that get noticed just a bit?

Methinks that Rivera got caught in an angle where it looked like he spat on the ball, but he didnt, and this is being way overblown

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/video-marian...l-in-alcs-26566

So people are freaking out that Rivera is spitting on baseballs(as the video seems to show)

But honestly, how many times is Rivera going to throw the ball he just spit on(if he really spit on the ball)? He will get maybe 1-7 throws on that ball before it is fouled away/discarded/replaced. So is Rivera spitting on every ball that he gets? Wouldnt that get noticed just a bit?

Methinks that Rivera got caught in an angle where it looked like he spat on the ball, but he didnt, and this is being way overblown

He might not always need it. It's like Kenny Rogers and his pine tar hat. He doesn't always have it, but it was there when he needed it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)
Nice to see Nick Swisher playing big in the lime light again... He is hitting about .130 in the playoffs including 0-4 with 9 LOB with RISP in the ALCS so far.

Yeah, but he brought the cream pies to the Yankees. And that's the kind of intangibles that Swishy brings. Damn, he's a doggone riot. I mean it. And he walks every few games. He's the best. Ah, Swishy.