2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 14, 2010 -> 10:42 PM)
Josh Johnson re-ups with the fish for 4 years 39m... buys out his last two years of arb and secures him for his first two eligible years of FA

Good deal for both sides. The Marlins now have a 25-year old legitimate ace locked up for the next 4 years at an extremely reasonable rate. And JJ gets long-term security and gets to stay with a team he obviously didn't want to leave. I still can't believe JJ was a 4th round pick. It's scary to think what the Marlins could do with better fan support/payroll flexibility, considering how well they draft and develop.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 08:30 AM)
Good deal for both sides. The Marlins now have a 25-year old legitimate ace locked up for the next 4 years at an extremely reasonable rate. And JJ gets long-term security and gets to stay with a team he obviously didn't want to leave. I still can't believe JJ was a 4th round pick. It's scary to think what the Marlins could do with better fan support/payroll flexibility, considering how well they draft and develop.

johnson has a ridiculous arm, and was very good last year and a few years ago, but i think the marlins overpaid a bit....10 mil per year is alot for a guy who has only made 50 starts in the last 3 seasons ....its very possible he will be worth every penny (and maybe even more) but i think its more likely that at least 1, if not 2 of those years he will miss significant time due to injury, and 10 million is a fortune for a team like the marlins to be spending for a guy sitting in the trainers room

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)
johnson has a ridiculous arm, and was very good last year and a few years ago, but i think the marlins overpaid a bit....10 mil per year is alot for a guy who has only made 50 starts in the last 3 seasons ....its very possible he will be worth every penny (and maybe even more) but i think its more likely that at least 1, if not 2 of those years he will miss significant time due to injury, and 10 million is a fortune for a team like the marlins to be spending for a guy sitting in the trainers room

Think Josh Beckett or AJ Burnett here. All he needs to do is put up a complete, healthy season and suddenly the big boys will come knocking if they want to deal him.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 07:29 AM)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2010 -> 08:32 AM)
Think Josh Beckett or AJ Burnett here. All he needs to do is put up a complete, healthy season and suddenly the big boys will come knocking if they want to deal him.

MLB got on Florida's case about not putting the revenue sharing money back into the team, thus, the extension for Johnson and Uggla still being on the team. They might deal him at some point, but I doubt it's this season and it might not be next.

Edited by witesoxfan

DBags DFA Byrnes finally....part of the story stated:

Byrnes contract will go down as perhaps the worst in franchise history, alongside the four-year, $33 million deal the club gave Russ Ortiz in December 2004.

Making matters worse was that Byrnes' deal led the club to trade away outfielders Carlos Quentin and Carlos Gonzalez. Quentin had a monster season for the White Sox in 2008 but struggled to stay healthy in 2009. Gonzalez began to emerge as an offensive threat in the second half of 2009 with the Colorado Rockies.

I still here DBag fans b**** about this out here!

If he was actually good at getting on base (complete 180 from his prospect days) Byrnes would have been a perfect candidate for that whole "rotate DH" thing. The fire... passion.

In other news.. Kouzmanoff and a minor leaguer to the A's for S. Hairston and former White Sox prospect Cunningham.

Deal not quite finalized yet (I believe pending physicals). Padres are now looking like the new west coast sox with all our former spects.

Edited by SoxAce

Slusser says the prospect is Eric Sogard. THXROTOWORLD

The A's still have enough former Sox. Basically, it's Bay Area or San Diego if you're drafted by Chicago. Probably not a bad thing at this point in time if you're drafted by Chicago if you don't like cold weather, because you're likely to end up somewhere south.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
Keith Law indicates Felix Hernandez is signing an extension

"If the final parts of the negotiations continue as expected, Hernandez will sign a five-year, $80 million contract, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
If they keep him for 5 more years, they most likely get his best years, and then one of those teams gives him a massive contract based on that. Hopefully if it does happen, he goes Carl Pavano on them.

Eh.. whose to say that he won't pitch better when he gets older. Dude will only be 28-29 when his contract is up. Unless someone is giving him a 10 year deal afterwards, alot of teams will be lining up for King Felix, in his prime, for a 3-6 year deal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
It's still awesome to consider King Felix remaining in Seattle until that age. He should win a Cy Young or two during that time frame.

Unless ESPN moves their studio out west it'll be tough.

Edited by BigSqwert

Within the past few years, the writers have done a much better job of voting for the major award winners. The only one I would have argued at all was the 2009 NL Cy Young, but that would have been for argument's sake and I have no problem with Lincecum winning it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
Within the past few years, the writers have done a much better job of voting for the major award winners. The only one I would have argued at all was the 2009 NL Cy Young, but that would have been for argument's sake and I have no problem with Lincecum winning it.

Sabermetrics are having more and more impact on performance evaluation every passing year. I don't think will see another 2005 AL CY Young or 2006 NL MVP farce anytime soon.