2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
Sabermetrics are having more and more impact on performance evaluation every passing year. I don't think will see another 2005 AL CY Young or 2006 NL MVP farce anytime soon.

There's a reason why Franklin Gutierrez got 4 years, $20.5M with only 3 years of service time under his belt and pedestrian career offensive production (Tom Tango's presence in the front office for one). As the teams start using more and more of these advanced metrics in player evaluation the media will catch up as well.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
Sabermetrics are having more and more impact on performance evaluation every passing year. I don't think will see another 2005 AL CY Young or 2006 NL MVP farce anytime soon.

Whoever votes for the Golden Glove awards is still years behind though...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 06:39 PM)

Managers and coaches

from baseballalmanac.com

Voting is currently done by the managers and coaches from each Major League team who are NOT able to select their own players.

something tells me that the gold glove voting system needs to be fixed

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
There's a reason why Franklin Gutierrez got 4 years, $20.5M with only 3 years of service time under his belt and pedestrian career offensive production (Tom Tango's presence in the front office for one). As the teams start using more and more of these advanced metrics in player evaluation the media will catch up as well.

You are indeed correct, sir.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 06:39 PM)

I gave up on the GG a few years ago. How Gutierrez and Utley didn't win one defies any logical explanation.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
Wow... I wonder how that will work out. I guess the Angels will pick up most of the salary remaining. I wonder how long it'll be before Minaya is shown the door?

They're sending Brian Stokes to the Angels, who, outside from one bad year, is a decent reliever. Even if he were free, GMJ has no value, so I don't get this trade.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
Mets To Acquire Gary Matthews Jr.

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 22 at 11:20am CST]

11:20am: Heyman tweets that the Angels will pick up all but $2MM of the $23.5MM remaining on Matthews Jr.'s deal.

Wow. They paid $21.5 million to get rid of him! That is worse than Bradley.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
They're sending Brian Stokes to the Angels, who, outside from one bad year, is a decent reliever. Even if he were free, GMJ has no value, so I don't get this trade.

I didn't get why the Mets traded Stokes... then I saw the Angels are paying a s***load of money in the deal... It's worth it.

i saw again on mlb rumors, that damon most likely will go to the braves or tigers. so my question is: why did the tigers trade granderson? he wasnt making that much money,esp considering how good he was and how he was a leader. so they trade him and sign valverde and might get damon? i thought the whole point was to lower the payroll :blink:

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
i saw again on mlb rumors, that damon most likely will go to the braves or tigers. so my question is: why did the tigers trade granderson? he wasnt making that much money,esp considering how good he was and how he was a leader. so they trade him and sign valverde and might get damon? i thought the whole point was to lower the payroll :blink:

I think they traded him to lower payroll, and keep in mind, they did get some really nice pieces back, but now they are trying to take advantage of this market and getting players they didn't think they had a chance at. They are basically paying $2 million additional over what the Angels are paying Fernando Rodney? What a swap that was for the Tigers. Now they might get Damon for $4-5 million? Probably tough for them to pass up...

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 09:15 PM)
ESPN Desportes reports that Jose Contreras signed a 1 year deal with the Phillies, terms undisclosed. The contract is contingent on him passing the physical.

I'm really happy for him. I'm a huge fan of Bronze Titan.