Beckham's Deep Thoughts on playing 2nd base

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
How long does the practice last?

Honestly, this is the position Gordon should have been playing for us in the first place, but Josh Fields is terrible.

Better to move him to 2b now and enjoy the fruits of his bat from now until his retirement in 20 years than to keep him at third because we're afraid to ask him to learn a new position.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
He's played 2nd in 2007 in the Cape Cod league and in 2008 in the AFL and not at all in the majors. And another point I'd like to make is we all have heard the arguments that Beckham at 2nd would put him among baseball elite 2nd baseman. While this is true you have to examine why it's that way. Generally and historically teams do not want their best players at 2nd base. It's a very high contact/risk position. The Sox have already lost much of their power from last year and with Konerko at the top of the list to provide any kind of major salary relief we could lose even more. Imagine the outcry if, God forbid, we lose Beckham to an injury due to a collision at 2nd base. That's why is so rare to have guys like Utley , Sandberg and Morgan at a position like 2nd base.

At this point in time the hitting , infield defense , bullpen, one outfield position, and DH all look pretty weak. That's a ton of holes to fill with hardly any salary left to fill them. I'd be much happier knowing the hitting will be weak if the infield and outfield defense was good to support the starting pitching. That way the only thing left to improve would be the bullpen.

"Generally and historically teams do not want their best players at 2nd base.'

You mean like the 2008 AL MVP Pedroia?!

Get a clue.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
tell me who and/or how many. And I am talking everyday starters here. GB is expected to change posiiton 3 times in two years? I hope this isn't the impact move that management seems to think will put us over the top cause I am not buying it.

Ryne Sandberg began his career at 3B with Philly. When he was traded to the Cubs, they moved him to 2B. Cal Ripken Jr came up with the O's as a 3B & they moved him to SS. Biggio was a catcher, & the Stros moved him to 2B.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)

Get a clue.

Make about 10,000 good posts before cranking up the snark. Personal insults are frowned on around here.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
I think if anything, he's just bummed about replacing his two best friends on the team. First it was Fields and now Getz.

I was a bit suprised to find out that A.J wasn't his best friend on the team. I guess this makes sense, becasue Fields and Getz are closer to Beckham in age.

QUOTE (CSF @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
Ryne Sandberg began his career at 3B with Philly. When he was traded to the Cubs, they moved him to 2B. Cal Ripken Jr came up with the O's as a 3B & they moved him to SS. Biggio was a catcher, & the Stros moved him to 2B.

Sandberg started 131 games at 3B in 1982, for the Cubs.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)

Get a clue.

Since you quoted me I did say historically and you give me one example ? Because you can name Pedroia you take that tone ? I myself gave 3 examples with Sandberg, Morgan and Utley . Maybe you should do some research on what kind of numbers usually qualify a 2nd baseman for the Hall of Fame and you'll see they are not as good as players from most other positions. I stand by my statement that generally and historically teams do not want their BEST players at 2nd base. That does not mean their aren't exceptions to the rule in the 100+ years of baseball history . Rogers Hornsby was another one if you ever heard of him. It's also why when you hear the argument that Beckham should be playing 2nd base it's because his bat is more valuable at a position that usually doesn't have that many good bats playing it. Again an example of the best players not being at 2nd base most of the time.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
Since you quoted me I did say historically and you give me one example ? Because you can name Pedroia you take that tone ? I myself gave 3 examples with Sandberg, Morgan and Utley . Maybe you should do some research on what kind of numbers usually qualify a 2nd baseman for the Hall of Fame and you'll see they are not as good as players from most other positions. I stand by my statement that generally and historically teams do not want their BEST players at 2nd base. That does not mean their aren't exceptions to the rule in the 100+ years of baseball history . Rogers Hornsby was another one if you ever heard of him. It's also why when you hear the argument that Beckham should be playing 2nd base it's because his bat is more valuable at a position that usually doesn't have that many good bats playing it. Again an example of the best players not being at 2nd base most of the time.

I think part of the reason for that is because middle infielders have historically been amongst the game's smaller players as well. It only follows that many of them would not be putting up the big-time offensive statistics that many of the HOFers have produced.

Now there is certainly something to what you're saying, but I think there is more to it as well.

It just makes no sense to move Beckham to second for Mark Teahen.

The obvious right move would be to keep Beckham at third, where he played very well defensively as the season progressed, and platoon Teahen with Nix at second.

I will support Teahen and hope for the best but this makes zero sense to me.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
I was a bit suprised to find out that A.J wasn't his best friend on the team. I guess this makes sense, becasue Fields and Getz are closer to Beckham in age.

I don't know if you ever met AJ but he is nobody's best friend. And if someone is I highly question their judgement amd character.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 09:30 AM)
Generally and historically teams do not want their best players at 2nd base. It's a very high contact/risk position. The Sox have already lost much of their power from last year and with Konerko at the top of the list to provide any kind of major salary relief we could lose even more. Imagine the outcry if, God forbid, we lose Beckham to an injury due to a collision at 2nd base. That's why is so rare to have guys like Utley , Sandberg and Morgan at a position like 2nd base.

The fact that great hitters don't often play 2B is pretty indisputable but what's the basis for your rationale that it's because teams don't want to play good players there? In all the years I've been following baseball, this is the first time I've heard anyone claim organizations avoid playing valuable players at 2B due to injury concerns. If second base is so dangerous, why aren't we often talking about all the injuries sustained there each season?

I certainly believe that teams prefer to play excellent middle infielders at SS when possible. That explains why Jeter, Hanley Ramirez, ARod, Nomar, Tejada, etc. weren't brought up as second basemen. Players who do end up at 2B seem to end up there either because they don't have the defensive chops to play shortstop (Utley, Pedroia) or they're blocked at SS.

There's another obvious reason teams "avoid" playing their best players at 2B: most of the "best players" aren't nearly good enough defensively. For instance, many of the top 10 position players in the AL MVP voting last season - Morneau, Youkilis, Quentin, Hamilton, and Pena - could never play second. The winner did play second base while others might potentially play that position if they didn't already play a more challenging position (Mauer, Sizemore).

QUOTE (Jeremy @ Nov 8, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
The fact that great hitters don't often play 2B is pretty indisputable but what's the basis for your rationale that it's because teams don't want to play good players there? In all the years I've been following baseball, this is the first time I've heard anyone claim organizations avoid playing valuable players at 2B due to injury concerns. If second base is so dangerous, why aren't we often talking about all the injuries sustained there each season?

I certainly believe that teams prefer to play excellent middle infielders at SS when possible. That explains why Jeter, Hanley Ramirez, ARod, Nomar, Tejada, etc. weren't brought up as second basemen. Players who do end up at 2B seem to end up there either because they don't have the defensive chops to play shortstop (Utley, Pedroia) or they're blocked at SS.

There's another obvious reason teams "avoid" playing their best players at 2B: most of the "best players" aren't nearly good enough defensively. For instance, many of the top 10 position players in the AL MVP voting last season - Morneau, Youkilis, Quentin, Hamilton, and Pena - could never play second. The winner did play second base while others might potentially play that position if they didn't already play a more challenging position (Mauer, Sizemore).

Guys the reason Gordon Beckham isn't going to play SS is because he isn't a very good defensive SS. That has been said about him from when he was in college. He has always been a second baseman in waiting. If you watch Alexei, you know why the Sox want him at SS. He has all of the tools, except the mental aspect, which usually can be taught.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
He can be "a leader, the captain of the infield, a clutch hitter in the postseason, perennial all-star and future Hall of Famer , everything Beckham thrives to be" at second base too.

I agree with this. I realize that "traditionally the shortstop is the leader of the infield. That does not mean that in some cases the 2nd baseman can't be, especially with the language barrier that Ramirez probably has. Gordon seems to be a natural leader and can lead just fine from 2nd base.

There are many, I believe, that felt that Derek Jeter should be playing 2nd base instead of shortstop, especially when Arod came over. Jeters defense has been maligned at shortsop for years, despite all of his "Gold Gloves", which we know are a fraud anyway. If Jeter had played 2nd base for the last few seasons instead of shortstop, would he of been any less of their infield leader then he is now?

http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/soxdrawer

Sox Drawer: E-mail from Gordon Beckham

When Kenny Williams announced that Gordon Beckham was replacing Chris Getz at second base next season, I wanted to get Gordon’s reaction to the move. Instead of doing the usual interview, I just sent Gordon an e-mail with the following two questions:

How did Kenny approach you about changing positions? Since you are such good friends with Chris (their lockers were right next to each other), how tough is it for you to be replacing him?

Here’s the email he sent back over the weekend:

Kenny called me before pulling the trigger on the deal. He basically just asked for my approval on moving to second base. I really appreciated him doing that, but was surprised he even asked. That meant a lot. And it’s really tough to see Chris go as he was my best friend on the team. We had a real good talk last night and I think we both wish we were on the same team, but both of us realize it’s out of our control. And we joked about the two closest friends I had on the team (Getz and Josh Fields), and that I am playing both of their positions. It’s going to be difficult to replace Chris because he was an excellent second baseman and I am sad to see him go.

I hadn’t even thought about the fact that this is already Round 2 for Gordon replacing one of his friends on the team. Fields was first. Getz is second. If I was Alexei Ramirez, I wouldn’t recommend hanging out with Gordon anytime soon.

The general managers meetings start today here in Chicago. Normally, there isn’t much activity, but considering the comments Kenny Williams made last week (“there have been more conversations throughout the playoffs and World Series than I ever remember”), there could be some surprises.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/11...nking_behi.html

According to the Sun Times it looks like K. W. & Ozzie are pretty set on Ramirez at ss & Beckam at 2nd.

P. S. I hope that the link works, I seem to have trouble with those.http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/11...nking_behi.html

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/11/williams_details_thinking_behi.html'>http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/11/williams_details_thinking_behi.html

According to the Sun Times it looks like K. W. & Ozzie are pretty set on Ramirez at ss & Beckam at 2nd.

P. S. I hope that the link works, I seem to have trouble with those.http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/11/williams_details_thinking_behi.html

The link doesn't seem to be working. Can someone please fix this? Thank you!

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
The link doesn't seem to be working. Can someone please fix this? Thank you!

It's fixed. Not sure exactly why/how you're doing it, but you're using the wrong code when you insert a URL. You're marking it with "topic". The correct code inside of the open bracket is is url="http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/11/williams_details_thinking_behi.html" followed by a /url inside brackets at the end of the link text.