AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 12:36 AM)
Also throw in that Buehrle negotiated his deal to essentially make him untradeable, since if he's traded he get's $19 million.

NO WAY they will trade buehrle . maybe and i say very slim maybe next year they would trade him and it would be more because buehrle will retire or said he would retire after his contract is up but would like to pitch for ST Louis so with that maybe they trade him but next off season . And even then it would be more of Mark requesting a trade to possibly play his last year with his hometown favorite team . I also believe if Mark does not retire he will sign with the Cardinals anyway .

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:(, thinking about the Sox trading for Gonzo again this morning.... (someone slap me).... I came up with this

Adrian Gonzalez and Chris Young for Gavin Floyd, Tyler Flowers, Jarred Mitchell, Brent Morel, and either CJ Retherford or Jason Nix (if SD wants a player that should be playing right now)

Obviously trading Gavin Floyd is not ideal, but I think he has a ton of value based on performance vs. contract. Chris Young appears to be really over paid and not even as good as Floyd in comparison.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
Adrian Gonzalez and Chris Young for Gavin Floyd, Tyler Flowers, Jarred Mitchell, Brent Morel, and either CJ Retherford or Jason Nix (if SD wants a player that should be playing right now)

Man, I'm all about getting Gonzalez, but I don't like that price.

:(, thinking about the Sox trading for Gonzo again this morning.... (someone slap me).... I came up with this

Obviously trading Gavin Floyd is not ideal, but I think he has a ton of value based on performance vs. contract. Chris Young appears to be really over paid and not even as good as Floyd in comparison.

Thoughts?

That's probably what it would take... or any package around danks/floyd/cq/ramirez/thorton then hudson/flowers/morel will get the sox about anyone.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
Man, I'm all about getting Gonzalez, but I don't like that price.

I'm with you too on not liking the price... but I think I would close my eyes and make that deal :). Floyd has been a very good pitcher with the Sox. He does have tremendous value and still more upside potential, and we would be down that spot in the rotation unless Young can bounce back somehow (unlikely). However, Gonzo could potentially be a 50 HR hitter in the cell. Also, Young is an expiring contract, so we could make a run at another pitcher mid-season or next offseason. Maybe Hudson will be the special pitcher that his upside/potential calls for (a possible #2 pitcher on a team)...

by the way, Steve9347, i love the picture of Kane at the bottom of your post. Go Hawks and Sox!

I am starting to change my opinion towards wondering if KW would in fact break up the solid core of 4 we have to try aone time aggresive attempt to get Agon. It has been mentioned that JDanks is in an interesting situation because he has not committed to an extension to buy out arb and 1 or 2 FA years. I have seen everything from JDanks and Floyd being mentioned mentioned. I still and will continue to believe Agon´s offense/defense is so contract friendly for 2 years. If you make the WS or win the WS the revenue from that experience really give Reinsdorf and KW the flexibility to start looking at 2011 and beyond FA´s. And with Morel now having a bit more upside after the AFL he is a WS top 10 chip or prospect. Dunno something like Hudson/Flowers/Morel a base is as good as any pacake I see out there, even Boston.

I'd just make a call offer, Viciedo, JorDanks, Flowers, and Hudson. If they say no it's clear that they want a lot more then we could ever offer them, but at least we tried. If they say yes we sign Mike Redmond, hope that Mitchell and Phegley will produce in two-three years, and go find a lefty-arm.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Thoughts?

LMAO! The Padres would laugh, puke, laugh some more, puke and then laugh some more if we offered that for AGON. I believe we can't trade Mitchell even if we wanted to because you can't trade guys you drafted until they've been in your organization 1 full year. Somethin' like that. The ONLY legitimate pieces in that proposal would be Floyd and Flowers. And the Padres could get MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more than that. Morel had a nice year. But he'd have to rake at AA over a full season before anybody considers him a legitimate prospect. Retherford? Nix? lol. C'mon now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
LMAO! The Padres would laugh, puke, laugh some more, puke and then laugh some more if we offered that for AGON. I believe we can't trade Mitchell even if we wanted to because you can't trade guys you drafted until they've been in your organization 1 full year. Somethin' like that. The ONLY legitimate pieces in that proposal would be Floyd and Flowers. And the Padres could get MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more than that. Morel had a nice year. But he'd have to rake at AA over a full season before anybody considers him a legitimate prospect. Retherford? Nix? lol. C'mon now.

I don't think it was that bad of a package. I agree that maybe I valued Morel too high in the trade proposal, however, in the deal I proposed we would be taking Chris Young off their hands and his $6.25M salary and mediocre-ness. In the deal I proposed, the Padres save about $7.5M, get two of our top 5 prospects (4 of our top 10), and a young solid starter in Floyd for a reasonable price the 3 years. Seems like fair value to me.

Regarding Mitchell, you are correct that you can't trade him until 1 year after being drafted, but isn't possible to make him a PTBNL?

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
Regarding Mitchell, you are correct that you can't trade him until 1 year after being drafted, but isn't possible to make him a PTBNL?

In a few days. You can't be a PTBNL for longer than 6 months; if you want to trade Mitchell, you can't do so until After X-Mas I believe.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)
I can't us landing AGon in any way (esp. with other teams playing the field here) without Hudson being involved in any deal FYI.

I think we'd do Hudson for him, but I don't think we'd do Hudson plus 3 other guys. And that's the reason it hasn't happened yet.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
I don't think it was that bad of a package. I agree that maybe I valued Morel too high in the trade proposal, however, in the deal I proposed we would be taking Chris Young off their hands and his $6.25M salary and mediocre-ness. In the deal I proposed, the Padres save about $7.5M, get two of our top 5 prospects (4 of our top 10), and a young solid starter in Floyd for a reasonable price the 3 years. Seems like fair value to me.

Chris Young is hot garbage. But it's not like his contract is that detrimental. And his contract is up after '10 anyway. That package just isn't anywhere near enough. If you're trading a player of Gonzales' caliber, you're looking for instant impact talent. Floyd (the new Floyd) would obviously flourish in the NL and in that park. Flowers would give them a near major league ready prospect. But his value lies in if he can stick at catcher. And that's still up in the air. Mitchell is at least 2 years away, maybe longer. Yes, you definitely value Morel too high. Sure, in our paper thin system he's a top 10 prospect. Not saying much. Retherford and Nix would just be throw-ins. If that's the kinda package it took AGON would've been traded weeks ago.

Edited by Jordan4life

Again, I think we have to ditch konerko. The padres don't want pk and his salary, so we have to do it in a three way. If we involve another team, we can get them to throw a couple prospects at san diego, and it works like this:

We get agon for pk and two prospects

Sandiego get 4 prospects for agon

Third team get pk for two prospects

Tons of teams are in a position to trade a couple prospects for a good veteran bat. this is themost realistic scenario in my mind.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
Chris Young is hot garbage. But it's not like his contract is that detrimental. And his contract is up after '10 anyway. That package just isn't anywhere near enough. If you're trading a player of Gonzales' caliber, you're looking for instant impact talent. Floyd (the new Floyd) would obviously flourish in the NL and in that park. Flowers would give them a near major league ready prospect. But his value lies in if he can stick at catcher. And that's still up in the air. Mitchell is at least 2 years away, maybe longer. Yes, you definitely value Morel too high. Sure, in our paper thin system he's a top 10 prospect. Not saying much. Retherford and Nix would just be throw-ins. If that's the kinda package it took AGON would've been traded weeks ago.

Yea, Viciedo and D2 would have to be thrown in there for the Padres to look at it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
Also throw in that Buehrle negotiated his deal to essentially make him untradeable, since if he's traded he get's $19 million.

Buehrle isn't tradable anyway. You are not going to trade the face of your franchise after a losing season, unless you plan on a full overhaul.

I had a thought in the Lowell bust of a trade thread. The Rangers are in need of a power threat who can play 1b and is right-handed. They're willing to give up a good catching prospect in Max Ramirez, and absorb a percentage of the salary. So, make it Konerko for Ramirez. This opens up the option of trading Flowers guilt free. Which opens up more options. Deal or no Deal?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 08:49 AM)
I had a thought in the Lowell bust of a trade thread. The Rangers are in need of a power threat who can play 1b and is right-handed. They're willing to give up a good catching prospect in Max Ramirez, and absorb a percentage of the salary. So, make it Konerko for Ramirez. This opens up the option of trading Flowers guilt free. Which opens up more options. Deal or no Deal?

Boston was going to pick up $9mil of the $12mil owed to Lowell, so Texas really isn't picking up significant money. Also, PK has no trade rights, and there's no indication he'd want to play in Texas.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
Again, I think we have to ditch konerko. The padres don't want pk and his salary, so we have to do it in a three way. If we involve another team, we can get them to throw a couple prospects at san diego, and it works like this:

We get agon for pk and two prospects

Sandiego get 4 prospects for agon

Third team get pk for two prospects

Tons of teams are in a position to trade a couple prospects for a good veteran bat. this is themost realistic scenario in my mind.

I want this to happen. Whats the chance it does?

• 2 months later...

Posting this because the Chisox are mentioned a possible suitors for AGon come the July trading deadline, even the Cubs. Enjoy

Link: http://www.friarhood.com/voice-of-the-fan/...er-of-time.html

With Adrian Gonzalez's future as a Padre in doubt, let's look at the options

The chances of Adrian Gonzalez being a Padre beyond the 2011 season seem slim. The Padres are not willing to devote 25-30% of their payroll on 1 player. The Padres will likely explore trades for Adrian at the July 31st trade deadline this year. If they don't trade him this year he will most likely be gone by the start of the 2011 season.

What teams could be in on Adrian at the trade deadline or next off-season?

Boston Red Sox: I might as well start with the obvious. The Red Sox seem to be a perfect fit. They have a rich farm system, plenty of money, and are in need of a big bat. They also have first baseman/catcher Victor Martinez, designated hitter David Ortiz, and third baseman Adrian Beltre potentially leaving as free agents after this year. Jed Hoyer knows the Sox system like the back of his hand.

Players of interest:

Ryan Westmoreland CF- He's very advanced for his age (19) and the kid is a tool shed.

Casey Kelly RHP- Kelly (19) has 3 potential plus pitches and projects as an ace.

Others: Ryan Kalish OF, Josh Reddick OF, Reymon Fuentes OF, Junichi Tazawa RHP, Daniel Bard RHP, Clay Buchholz RHP, Jacoby Ellsbury CF.

New York Mets: The Mets don't have anyone at first base worth mentioning on the major league roster. They do have a young first base prospect by the name of Ike Davis who could be ready for the majors as early as this year. The Mets farm system is weak. Ike Davis is one of their best prospects and the Padres likely wouldn't be interested in him because of Blanks. In my opinion, any deal with the Mets would have to start with Fernando Martinez.

Players of interest:

Jenrry Mejia RHP- Front end of the rotation potential with a big fastball.

Wilmer Flores SS- Very young with power potential, solf hands and a plus arm.

Others: Brad Holt RHP, Jon Niese LHP, Reese Havens SS, and Josh Thole C.

Baltimore Orioles: The Orioles seem like they are willing to spend money for the right player and don't have anyone entrenched at first base. Adrian Gonzalez would definitely be that guy. He is similar to Mark Teixeira whom the Orioles attempted to acquire last off-season. The Orioles also have a ton of prospects and young players that would interest the Padres. The question is will they be willing to give them up?

Players of interest:

Brian Matusz LHP- Ace potential, 4 potential plus pitches, good command, MLB ready.

Jake Arrieta RHP- Good stuff with spotty command, could end up in bullpen.

Zach Britton LHP- Sinker/slider type pitcher with fastball that reaches 94 MPH & solid change

Others: Matt Wieters C, Matt Hobgood RHP, Brandon Erbe RHP, Kam Mickolio RHP, Mychal Givens SS.

White Sox: They don't have anyone set for first base and Paul Konerko will be a free agent after this season. The Sox have money although they don't have much on the farm. A deal would likely have to start with Gordon Beckham.

Players of interest:

Jared Mitchell CF- Leadoff potential, plus plus speed, patient hitter with some power.

Tyler Flowers C- Light tower power, discipline, average arm, may not stick as catcher.

Dan Hudson RHP- Three solid pitches, projected middle of the rotation starter or better

Others: Jordan Danks CF, David Holmberg LHP.

Nationals: They have their new park and could be willing to spend money for franchise player. They currently have Adam Dunn at first base but, he will be a free agent at the end of this season and Dunn is also capable of playing left field.

Players of interest:

Stephen Strasburg RHP- Self explanatory. Not going to happen.

Derek Norris C- Good hitter, above AVG power to all fields, moves well with solid arm.

Ian Desmond SS- Plus bat speed, average power, quick hands, good range, average speed.

Others Danny Espinosa SS, Jeff Kobernus, 2B, Michael Burgess RF.

Mariners: They seem to be all in right now and don't have a legitimate first baseman.

They lost some of their prospects to acquire Lee but, they still have a few good prospects and some good young major leaguers.

Players of interest:

Dustin Ackley- Special bat, average power, plus speed. Playing 2B now, could end up in CF.

Michael Saunders LF/CF- All five tools average or better, MLB ready.

Others: Adam Moore C, Carlos Truinfel SS/2B, Michael Pineda RHP, Nick Franklin SS, Jose Lopez 2B.

Cubs: Derek Lee is a free agent after this year and the Cubs have wanted a left handed bat for a long time.

Players of interest:

Starlin Castro SS- Great contact, plus speed, good range/arm.

Brett Jackson CF- Well above average raw power, plus speed, solid arm, good accuracy.

Josh Vitters 3B- Potential to hit .300 30 HR's, may have to move to the OF.

Andrew Cashner RHP- Power pitcher, fastball touches 98 MPH.

Others: Jay Jackson RHP, Hak-Ju Lee SS, Logan Watkins 2B, Chris Carpenter RHP.

Other: There could be a few dark horses. The Giants don't have a long term first baseman. Trading within the division would be unlikely but, they have two very good prospects in Posey and Bumgarner. The Astros could lose Lance Berkman after this year. (free agent) The Marlins need a frst baseman but, are probably the only team cheaper than the Padres. The Diamondbacks need a first baseman but, trading within the division is unlikely. The Rangers have the best farm system in baseball and could move Davis to DH or get fid of him in place of Adrian but, their team is in the middle of being sold. The sale fo the team leaves their payroll situation unknown. The Tigers have Miguel Cabrera but, he's not a very good first baseman. Cabrera could DH while Adrian plays first and they would have a deadly 1-2 punch in the middle of the lineup. The Athletics need a long term first baseman and Billy Bean loves to make trades. He could get Adrian at the deadline if they're in the hunt and trade him later like they did with Matt Holliday. The Rays could lose Pena after this year (free agent) but, probably wouldn't be able to extend him.