Official: Omar Vizquel Signs with Sox

AWhiteSoxinNJ

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
Any news on the "second" signing that was suppose to go along with this signing?

Well he did say "probably on Monday" but it also could be tomorrow or later on this week as well.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
Any hints?

Position player?

Pitcher?

Or was one of the predictions from an earlier poster right? :D

Edited by SoxAce

Umm, green?

I admit, I wrote it partially in green. I was in a stir it up mood after eating a big lunch.

I do think Teahen is a great utility guy though. How can you argue that? I didn't say a great regular, but utility guy.

And Gordon may not have been great at third, but he was pretty damn good defensively by the end of the season. He was making plays both charging the ball well and fielding some hot smashes. Don't you agree he was pretty damn good??

And I was over the top a bit on Omar, but I wanted to be positive after bashing Rios so much after his first week of ineptitute at the plate with us. So partial green.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
I admit, I wrote it partially in green. I was in a stir it up mood after eating a big lunch.

I do think Teahen is a great utility guy though. How can you argue that? I didn't say a great regular, but utility guy.

And Gordon may not have been great at third, but he was pretty damn good defensively by the end of the season. He was making plays both charging the ball well and fielding some hot smashes. Don't you agree he was pretty damn good??

And I was over the top a bit on Omar, but I wanted to be positive after bashing Rios so much after his first week of ineptitute at the plate with us. So partial green.

Beckham definitely improved but I also definitely would not say he was "pretty damn good" at 3B either. Also, yes, Teahen would be a super utility player, but you were advocating putting him in that role at the expense of having Omar Vizquel be our starting SS. Come on.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
The main issue is that Duke suffers from clinical depression. That didn't stop Greinke though, did it?

No, that is not the main issue.

http://www.google.com/#q=justin+duchschere...aec5b20317085d1

Not even close

Season ending injuries to his elbow and hip(multiple times on the hip), clinical depression that kept him out all year last year, the guy is just not tough enough to cut it, which is a shame because he is very talented.

Edited by KyYlE23

Beckham was the kind of 3B that you could see being solid for a career but not one that makes outstanding plays. Teahan could be same deal, but all things equal, you want to get Beckham into 2b or ss in order to maximize the value of his bat over the coming years.

So if he's better at 2b than ss, the decision is clear.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
No, that is not the main issue.

http://www.google.com/#q=justin+duchschere...aec5b20317085d1

Not even close

Season ending injuries to his elbow and hip(multiple times on the hip), clinical depression that kept him out all year last year, the guy is just not tough enough to cut it, which is a shame because he is very talented.

Wow, there’s a very large difference between having an injury problem and giving serious thoughts to killing yourself. Duke was completely unmotivated to do ANYTHING last year. Even his livelihood. So, yeah. Clinical depression is the real issue here.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 04:22 AM)
With three very small moves, Williams has upgraded both the White Sox infield offense and the defense off of the bench too, and it seems to me that they are looking much better all-around already. Teahen is an improvement over Getz/Nix offensively and if he can put up anything similar to either his 2009 or 2007 season, Sox fans should be happy. Now you bring in a player in Vizquel who is fundamentally fantastic, plays fantastic defense, and isn't going to embarrass himself as a hitter so long as it's off of the bench, and Kotsay is just fine off of the bench as a 1B/OF type, so long as he remains in the corner outfield spots and doesn't start too much. He can also pinch run for Konerko or whoever else late in games, and that may buy the Sox an extra couple runs throughout the entirety of a season.

I have absolutely no problems with what Williams has done at all this offseason.

Agreed now we need a big bat so KW go get ADRIAN GONZALES PLEASE :pray

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
Wow, there’s a very large difference between having an injury problem and giving serious thoughts to killing yourself. Duke was completely unmotivated to do ANYTHING last year. Even his livelihood. So, yeah. Clinical depression is the real issue here.

Bolt, dont cloud the issue and put words in my mouth. I said he has a long and storied history of injury problems, YOU brought up the clinical depression and said "Greinke beat it, didnt he?"

I didnt poo poo his depression, I told you the main issue with signing him is his injury problem, not his depression. If his only problem was clinical depression, then i would say Hell yes the guy can pitch and if he can remain on the level then I would love to have him. But that isnt the problem, and that is the sole reason why I would not want him on the Sox, he cannot stay healthy and cannot stay on the field. End of story.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:19 PM)
Or the signing of an elite defender to backup 3 infield positions. Doesn't really matter how old you are when you're still fully capable of doing what a team asks of you.

That's fine but what I don't like about the moves are Teahan/Vizquel while an upgrade from Getz/Lillibridge, may not be the $5 million upgrade it costs. I personally don't think Beckham at 2B, Teahan at 3B is much of a defensive upgrade from Getz/Nix at 2B Beckham at 3B. Offensively it could be, but Teahan is no lock to take off offensively. It kind of reminds me of the Cory Snyder acquisition. A talented guy who had a tough time making contact but was a scout's wet dream. Vizquel definitely can play 3B and SS better than Lillibridge or Nix, without a doubt and is an upgrade offensively over Lillibridge, but really not much at this stage. But how often is he going to be playing SS or 3B or 2B? Not much if no one gets hurt, plus Omar doesn't steal you bases anymore. Getz could get you a bag as could Lillibridge, plus we are talking about a guy who will be 43. He still seems nimble, but 43 year olds tend to tweak things a lot easier than younger guys. He definitely could be a weapon as a pinch bunter. It definitely appears the Sox will have one of the older benches in baseball.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
That's fine but what I don't like about the moves are Teahan/Vizquel while an upgrade from Getz/Lillibridge, may not be the $5 million upgrade it costs. I personally don't think Beckham at 2B, Teahan at 3B is much of a defensive upgrade from Getz/Nix at 2B Beckham at 3B. Offensively it could be, but Teahan is no lock to take off offensively. It kind of reminds me of the Cory Snyder acquisition. A talented guy who had a tough time making contact but was a scout's wet dream. Vizquel definitely can play 3B and SS better than Lillibridge or Nix, without a doubt and is an upgrade offensively over Lillibridge, but really not much at this stage. But how often is he going to be playing SS or 3B or 2B? Not much if no one gets hurt, plus Omar doesn't steal you bases anymore. Getz could get you a bag as could Lillibridge, plus we are talking about a guy who will be 43. He still seems nimble, but 43 year olds tend to tweak things a lot easier than younger guys. He definitely could be a weapon as a pinch bunter. It definitely appears the Sox will have one of the older benches in baseball.

Brent Lillibridge is a non-fact, for as bad as Vizquel is at the plate he's significantly better than Lillibridge -- that's just how bad Lillibridge is with the bat -- and I don't think Brent's proven to be anything special defensively despite what a few of the scouting reports said about him from his time with the Pirates and Braves, I'm mildly surprised he wasn't out-righted to Charlotte once the season ended. You need a backup infielder who you know you can trust at 2B, SS and 3B when these guys do get their days off and Nix showed he can't be trusted to play SS and Ozzie's obviously not a fan of his bat so he's not going to be that guy. Vizquel's defense is going to be valuable, he won't be knocking in runs but he will make the pitcher's lives a lot easier when he is in the game and that is incredibly important. As for the base stealing; I really think Alejandro De Aza or another speedy true CF will make this team (Kotsay really can't play CF anymore) and give you that real speed off the bench that Ozzie will exploit as often as possible so Vizquel's lack of speed won't mean much. I don't think they're worried about Vizquel tweaking anything given that he's slated for about 200 PA this year, he's also been incredibly healthy even once he started getting into the upper 30's, aside from the knee injury that ruined his '08 season he hasn't missed any time do to injury -- since turning 38 he's missed 5 games due to injury/illness (not counting the knee injury of course): a sore groin that cost him 2 games in '07 and the flu cost him 3 games last year. He's just one of those guys that stays healthy and does his thing. Then there's the possibility that maybe, just maybe he does teach the young guys a thing or two, he's always carried the reputation for being a great teacher and terrific clubhouse guy which is really just gravy IMO.

I don't disagree on Teahen, I'm not a fan. We're just gonna have to hope that Kenny knows what he's doing though I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think Adrian Beltre's going to get a very big contract this offseason and he would have made a ton of sense for this team.

Vizquel sees no problems with Sox backup role

Newly acquired infielder Omar Vizquel doesn't anticipate any difficulties accepting his backup role with the White Sox after doing that job with Texas last season.

"I don't think it will be an issue," Vizquel said in a conference call with reporters. "I'll always be there for the younger guys."

Vizquel, 42, chose the Sox because of their legacy of Venezuelan shortstops and their one-year, $1.375 million offer.

"It was one of those things I was worried about," Vizquel said. "I wanted to get it done as soon as possible."

Manager Ozzie Guillen doesn't want Vizquel to serve solely as an unofficial coach, adding he plans to play him frequently early in the year.

"Everyone knows (Alexei) Ramirez has struggled," said Guillen, referring to Ramirez's .184 lifetime mark through April 30.

Vizquel wasn't sure what jersey number he would wear since manager Ozzie Guillen currently wears No. 13. "I don't think Ozzie is going to give up the number," Vizquel said.

Vizquel said he has spoken to Luis Aparacio about wearing No. 11 to honor his legacy and also has considered No. 17 - formerly worn by Chico Carrasquel.

Guillen suggested that Vizquel should wear No. 23, the number he wore in his native Venezuela.

"When you wear No. 23 with the White Sox, it's huge," Guillen said. "When you wear No. 23 in Chicago, it's bigger."

Guillen said he was impressed with the way Vizquel handled his backup role with Texas last season, as well as his condition after visiting him last week.

"Omar is in unbelievable shape," Guillen said.

And second baseman Gordon Beckham was just as delighted to be a teammate of Vizquel's.

"Absolutely," Beckham wrote in a text message. "I'm ready to learn."

Meanwhile, Guillen said backups Jayson Nix and Brent Lillibridge need to heed his advice and "do what I told them to do at the end of the season.

Guillen also emphasized the need to rotate the designated-hitter position and seemed optimistic the Sox would solve their leadoff-spot question.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/...-white-sox.html

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
It definitely appears the Sox will have one of the older benches in baseball.

We've also gotten older since the offseason especially with Getz and Fields traded. Not that I'm complaining about anything, just stating it. :D

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)

What are some alternatives you suggest the Sox could have spent $5M on this off-season instead then?

It all depends on how Teahen does, to decide whether those moves will be worthwhile. Too early to pass judgement IMO, until you see how Teahen.

Same sort of thing as the Rios waiver claim, albeit a lot more people including myself were critical of the move because of Rios's contract and his declining offensive output.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 11:22 PM)
What are some alternatives you suggest the Sox could have spent $5M on this off-season instead then?

It all depends on how Teahen does, to decide whether those moves will be worthwhile. Too early to pass judgement IMO, until you see how Teahen.

Same sort of thing as the Rios waiver claim, albeit a lot more people including myself were critical of the move because of Rios's contract and his declining offensive output.

I read where Orlando Hudson would be hard pressed to get the guarantee of a little over $3 million he received last year. Put him at 2B, leave Beckham at 3B, and I think the infield everyday defense is better than with Teahan, the offense is most likely better and you still have money left over. I keep reading about bargains. As giddy as people are about Teahan and Vizquel, and I find it shocking, the bullpen has yet to be addressed. There are plenty of reasons the Sox lost a lot in 2009. Having Omar Vizquel play 3B in the 8th and 9th, addresses only an extremely small percentage.

As for waiting before commenting, if that's the case, why have a message board? KW said he was doing some projection with Teahan, why can't we? IMO the White Sox have spent $5 million that could have been spent on more pressing issues. Sure Vizquel is one of the greatest defensive players ever, but not only is he now 43, he's not going to play much. He had a little over 1 chance a game last year if you consider the 162 game schedule.