Teahen not set at 3B? Sox keeping options open

beck72

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10357594

I'm glad to hear the Sox seem to be keeping their options open regarding Teahen at 3b. I guess it comes down to who the Sox can add at 2b, 3b or the OF that would allow them to move Teahen away from 3b.

Here are a few options that come to mind:

3b: [Which would move Gordon to 2b, and Teahen to RF or 1b].

*Adrian Beltre. Wouldn't cost a draft pick, though he's a type B. Seattle won't offer him arb. Would solidify the left side of the IF with his defense. Would likely get a 2 yr, $12, 13 mill. deal. The sox would still need someone for leadoff, such as a Randy Winn for RF or Pods for LF. I like Randy Winn for RF [1 yr, $5 mill], with Teahen for 1b. Beltre's power should come back moving away from Sea. and getting healthy, which could make up for Winn's lower power numbers in RF.

Under this scenario, Konerko would likely have to be moved to afford both Beltre and Winn [most likely in a salary swap for bad contracts]. Thome could then be signed for DH [1 yr, $5 mill] and provide the sox with LH power. Getting all signed would be tough. Though the sox could sign Beltre to a lower 2010 salary, such as $5 mill. in 2010, and $7 mill in 2011, with PK's salary coming off the books.

The sox could sign Pods to lower deal, have him for LF, with Quentin going to RF. Yet I like the defensive improvements that Beltre and Winn would give the Sox.

*Chone Figgins. Too expensive. Likely not happening.

2b: [which would move Beckham back to 3b, and Teahen to the OF or 1b]

*Orlando Hudson. Though the sox would likely lose their 2nd rd draft pick, he would likely take a 2 yr deal, for $11, 12 mill. He could hit at the top of the order, and is solid at 2b.

*Felipe Lopez: It wouldn't cost the sox a pick, as he's a type B. And he's a better defender than Hudson. Hudson is a better overall bat, and Lopez may have had a career year at the plate in 2009. Lopez should get a similar deal as Hudson's 2 yr deal, for $10, 11 mill. I question Lopez as he's moved around a lot, not by his choice.

What are some other options/ ideas if the sox are still looking at having Teahen for other than 3b?

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10357594

I'm glad to hear the Sox seem to be keeping their options open regarding Teahen at 3b. I guess it comes down to who the Sox can add at 2b, 3b or the OF that would allow them to move Teahen away from 3b.

Here are a few options that come to mind:

3b: [Which would move Gordon to 2b, and Teahen to RF or 1b].

*Adrian Beltre. Wouldn't cost a draft pick, though he's a type B. Seattle won't offer him arb. Would solidify the left side of the IF with his defense. Would likely get a 2 yr, $12, 13 mill. deal. The sox would still need someone for leadoff, such as a Randy Winn for RF or Pods for LF. I like Randy Winn for RF [1 yr, $5 mill], with Teahen for 1b. Beltre's power should come back moving away from Sea. and getting healthy, which could make up for Winn's lower power numbers in RF.

Under this scenario, Konerko would likely have to be moved to afford both Beltre and Winn [most likely in a salary swap for bad contracts]. Thome could then be signed for DH [1 yr, $5 mill] and provide the sox with LH power. Getting all signed would be tough. Though the sox could sign Beltre to a lower 2010 salary, such as $5 mill. in 2010, and $7 mill in 2011, with PK's salary coming off the books.

The sox could sign Pods to lower deal, have him for LF, with Quentin going to RF. Yet I like the defensive improvements that Beltre and Winn would give the Sox.

*Chone Figgins. Too expensive. Likely not happening.

2b: [which would move Beckham back to 3b, and Teahen to the OF or 1b]

*Orlando Hudson. Though the sox would likely lose their 2nd rd draft pick, he would likely take a 2 yr deal, for $11, 12 mill. He could hit at the top of the order, and is solid at 2b.

*Felipe Lopez: It wouldn't cost the sox a pick, as he's a type B. And he's a better defender than Hudson. Hudson is a better overall bat, and Lopez may have had a career year at the plate in 2009. Lopez should get a similar deal as Hudson's 2 yr deal, for $10, 11 mill. I question Lopez as he's moved around a lot, not by his choice.

What are some other options/ ideas if the sox are still looking at having Teahen for other than 3b?

Teahen should be playing right field or DHing. Winn is getting old, he had a bad season offensively in San Francisco last year, but his glove is still decent. I don't actually think he's worth 5 million in the market right now.

I like the idea of Beltre, his home/away splits are crazy. Safeco has sucked the life out of him, but I'm not sure $7 million per is enough for him.

Either way, like you said, for any of these deals to be done, we need to shed some contracts, most likely Konerko's or maybe even Jenks' arbitration.

Using Teahen's flexibility during the offseason is really the smartest course of action anyway. I think most of us expect a similar FA market to last year when there were some great bargains at the end of the winter as teams did not have much to spend. As Beck pointed out, there are legit options at 3B, 2B, DH, 1B, and OF on the FA market that can help the Sox. I'm glad the Sox have the flexibility to (hopefully) get a very good player at a discounted rate that could improve our offense, defense, or both.

I'm glad the Sox aren't set in stone with Teahen at 3B. Beltre would be a good option for 3B, but I've been on the Placido Polanco-for-2B bandwagon since October. Maybe bringing in Vizquel lessens the need for a Spanish-speaking, good glove, mentor-type, but Polanco could solidify the D, bring some leadership and bat 2nd in the line up- allowing Beckham to slide down to the number three spot, where he's destined to hit.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
I really think you guys are going to be pleasantly surprised with Teahan's defense at 3rd...once he gets settled in there, anyways.

The Sox made the trade and said he was going to play 3B. If they have a plan then stick to it IMO

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
The Sox made the trade and said he was going to play 3B. If they have a plan then stick to it IMO

This. Hasn't Teahen's thing been that he hasn't felt at "home" since he's been moving around so much on the field anyway? If the guy feels the best at 3B, you might as well start him there since you traded for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
If we can upgrade the team, why wouldn't we look around?

They should always be looking in all areas, regardless of what they've already got. Unless, well, they have Pujols or something. Really no upgrade over that guy.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
I'm glad the Sox aren't set in stone with Teahen at 3B. Beltre would be a good option for 3B, but I've been on the Placido Polanco-for-2B bandwagon since October. Maybe bringing in Vizquel lessens the need for a Spanish-speaking, good glove, mentor-type, but Polanco could solidify the D, bring some leadership and bat 2nd in the line up- allowing Beckham to slide down to the number three spot, where he's destined to hit.

Welcome aboard! :gosoxretro:

Polanco would seem like another name that could move Beckham back to 3b. I wouldn't have minded Polanco-a few years back when he was with the Phils. But he's lost more than a few steps defensively. His bat would play nice in the lineup, though. I guess it would depend on the money and the years he's looking for.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)
All I got from that is that Teahan will be at 3B, but the Sox aren't going to pass up on something that makes sense for them, which could result in moving Teahan to a different position.

I'm glad that Williams is open to all possibilites - that's the good news that I get from that piece.

Pretty much. As of right now Teahen is the 3B. This is a non-story.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 04:57 PM)
Teahen should be playing right field or DHing. Winn is getting old, he had a bad season offensively in San Francisco last year, but his glove is still decent. I don't actually think he's worth 5 million in the market right now.

I like the idea of Beltre, his home/away splits are crazy. Safeco has sucked the life out of him, but I'm not sure $7 million per is enough for him.

Either way, like you said, for any of these deals to be done, we need to shed some contracts, most likely Konerko's or maybe even Jenks' arbitration.

Winn's been pretty consistent with the bat, as well as above average with the glove. http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...amp;position=OF

I think he'd make a decent bet to bounce back to his 2007 and 2008 numbers on offense, hitting close to .300 and a .350 OBP. Esp. if he could get some days off. IIRC, he was dinged up a bit this year. Winn has played in at least over 149 games in each of the last 8 seasons. Not to mention if the sox do rotate players at DH to keep guys fresh, then Teahen could play RF as well, or move Rios over to RF at times. The thing with Winn is he'd be an upgrade on defense, a good bet to hit well on offense, be affordable, and short term. Another name similar to Winn could be Coco Crisp. I'm not sure if Crisp though will be completely healthy to start the year.

Beltre and Boras could be more expensive [in terms of cash and years] than the sox are willing to pay.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
Pretty much. As of right now Teahen is the 3B. This is a non-story.

I agree, now Teahen is set at 3b. Though if Rosenthal is hearing the Sox asking around for other IF types via trade/ free agency [besides Vizquel]-which seems to be the case by the article-then it wouldn't be a non-story.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)

From the sounds of it Kenny is pumped about Teahen at 3b. But I don't think the sox will stick with Teahen at 3b if they find another player who will make them better. The sox still have the flexibility to add more pieces--esp. in free agency if players are still around in mid Jan. And they will have to add more, because they shouldn't be going into 2010 with only adding Teahen

Teahen needs to stay at third if we want a really solid year out of him, IMO.

Also, I think his defense will improve tremendously there if they just leave him alone. He hasn't played a full year at third since 2006, his best season. This is a guy who had to constantly bring 5 gloves with him everywhere the past few seasons. He deserves a chance to settle into one position.

IIRC, in a radio interview, I think it was with Rongey, Teahen did say he'd be more comfortable coming to the park knowing what position he'd be playing--esp. 3B, and at what spot in the order he'd be hitting. Yet somehow I'd think Teahen would be fine playing for a winning team, hitting in the Cell rather than KC where he'll get more HR's, and what position he'd be playing wouldn't be a big an issue.

Either way, it's not really his call if the sox see an opportunity to improve. Kenny may even decide to call Teahen like he did Beckham before he moves him from 3b :lol:

QUOTE (2OutRally @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 06:58 PM)
Teahen needs to stay at third if we want a really solid year out of him, IMO.

Also, I think his defense will improve tremendously there if they just leave him alone. He hasn't played a full year at third since 2006, his best season. This is a guy who had to constantly bring 5 gloves with him everywhere the past few seasons. He deserves a chance to settle into one position.

Why does he deserve that? It's not like he's an excellent offensive player that is getting screwed around.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
They should always be looking in all areas, regardless of what they've already got. Unless, well, they have Pujols or something. Really no upgrade over that guy.

I'm not even going to read this, I noticed the word Pujols and I noticed Mr. Rongey mentioning it so...

THE SOX ARE GETTING PUJOLS! :headbang

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
Welcome aboard! :gosoxretro:

Polanco would seem like another name that could move Beckham back to 3b. I wouldn't have minded Polanco-a few years back when he was with the Phils. But he's lost more than a few steps defensively. His bat would play nice in the lineup, though. I guess it would depend on the money and the years he's looking for.

Thanks! I can't imagine Polanco will want a ton of money. I heard he was willing to move to 3B to generate interest from some teams (the Phillies, I think). That makes it seems like there's not a ton of interest in him at the moment (especially with a "sexier" name like Orlando Hudson available (and Mark DeRosa and Felipe Lopez as well).

As for Teahen staying at 3rd because KW said so, wasn't he relatively emphatic in September/October that Beckham would stay at 3rd and not get bounced around? I wouldn't put much stock in anything he says.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 22, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
I agree, now Teahen is set at 3b. Though if Rosenthal is hearing the Sox asking around for other IF types via trade/ free agency [besides Vizquel]-which seems to be the case by the article-then it wouldn't be a non-story.

Rosenthal isn't hearing anything. The article said "major league sources." There's no legitimate quote from anybody suggesting Teahen isn't set at third.

I can't imagine why the Sox would be "set" at 3B with Teahen if they could upgrade at 3B (or some other position that would require Teahen to move). I mean, it's not like he's an elite defender at 3B. I think Teahen will be solidly average at 3B given a full year there, but there it would be stupid NOT to look around and see what you can get in the FA market and/or trades.