Free Agent Tracker

Heads22

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
Royals signed OF Scott Podsednik to a one-year, $1.75 million contract with a $2 million club option for 2011.

ARE YOU f***ING KIDDING ME??! AND NOW WE HAVE JUAN f***ING PIERRE!?!?! SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?

Pods was prob lookin for a lot more than what he got there when we were talking to him. Kenny moved on and got JP.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
+1

This has been said more than once already, but to make it clear:

It is almost absolutely certain that his demands were much higher until most or all of the suitors went in an alternative direction.

THIS IS NOT WHAT THE PRICETAG WAS WHEN KENNY WAS NEGOTIATING WITH HIM

Ok, sorry.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)

It is almost absolutely certain that his demands were much higher until most or all of the suitors went in an alternative direction.

Ok, sorry.

And you'd have to be short bus retarded not to know this. People just like to b****.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 01:05 AM)

Ok, sorry.

and i find that irrelevant.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 07:05 PM)

Ok, sorry.

I think we all understand that. KW should have waited out and used the 4.5 mil that he wasted on Pierre to get us a decent DH and then tried to wait out on Pods.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 06:56 PM)
I think we all understand that. KW should have waited out and used the 4.5 mil that he wasted on Pierre to get us a decent DH and then tried to wait out on Pods.

The more suitors the higher the price for the player.

It's not a difficult concept.

I think Pods wanted a ton of money initially and good for him. No one was going to give it to him. There were reports that the White Sox "interest" in Pods was all PR. They may have offered him a contract, but there's no guarantee it was any higher than what he eventually signed for. They probably would have taken him back with a low guarantee less than $1 million. We can compare 2009 numbers, but if that's all that matters, there's really no sense ever playing the games. There's very little chance Pods can duplicate those or he would have received a higher payday. Pierre has a much better shot IMO and in the White Sox opinion of being the better of the two in 2010. The argument can be made would the White Sox be better off paying Pods what KC is paying him and bringing in someone else or just paying Pierre his money. At least if the Sox made a bad decision, they weren't the biggest idiots in the deal. The Dodgers are paying Pierre more to play for the White Sox than JR is.

I'm not one to be preset to be negative about our moves.

But there's a lot to the sentiment that we couldve just brought back Pods and bid for Matsui.

Then, instead of Putz, you couldve hoped for a good year from Peña.

There's an argument there. Because it leaves a nice bit of cash open for next offseason when the pool of FAs mightve been better.

Of course remains to be seen how cheap Thome/Blaylock/Branyan will be.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)
How can you find that irrelevant?

It's absolutely paramount to the argument.

Exactly. How long exactly is Kenny supposed to wait around while Pods price is insane? Heck part of the reason his price got so cheap is because the White Sox getting Pierre eliminated a place where he could go. Same with the Cubs and Byrd.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 07:16 PM)
I'm not one to be preset to be negative about our moves.

But there's a lot to the sentiment that we couldve just brought back Pods and bid for Matsui.

Then, instead of Putz, you couldve hoped for a good year from Peña.

There's an argument there. Because it leaves a nice bit of cash open for next offseason when the pool of FAs mightve been better.

Of course remains to be seen how cheap Thome/Blaylock/Branyan will be.

The White Sox don't sign the top FAs. If there is a bidding war they will drop out. That's the way they work. Since the Peavy move, you could just about question just about every trade or signing they made and have a decent argument either way.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 01:04 AM)
How can you find that irrelevant?

It's absolutely paramount to the argument.

It really isn't, it's like saying you were right in declining on a house because their initial offer was too high, so you bought an equal-sized house for 4 million, and it turns out the other house sells for 1.75...and then you rationalize it with Welllppp, their initial asking price was too high, I showed them.

Other suitors dropped out, so it's us and K.C., you think that two teams going after a mediocre player drives him up to a 2 year 8 million dollar deal rather than a 1 yr. 1.75 mill? Really?

We dropped out, found another piece, and now for an equally s***ty player we are paying double, and have another year to watch his slappy ass.

You can "drop out" and still revisit. But yaayyyy we are paying 6 million more for pierre plus 2 mid-level pitching prospects. Yayyy, it's okay because of the initial asking price we can't be pissed that we are paying for a really s***ty player when we could be paying much less for an equally s***ty player.

I am really struggling with how you guys can really believe that Scott would have signed with the White Sox for this amount of money. Even had they waited Scott out, he and his agent would have realized that the White Sox still needed a player such as he, and continued to wait. Then it could have gone down to ST and into the season for all we know - especially had the White Sox ponied-up and paid a DH some real money.

Sometimes, a player is just not going to sign with a team at a certain price, regardless of whether he is willing to sign with another team for less.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 07:18 PM)
Exactly. How long exactly is Kenny supposed to wait around while Pods price is insane? Heck part of the reason his price got so cheap is because the White Sox getting Pierre eliminated a place where he could go. Same with the Cubs and Byrd.

There are still some guys out there. I'm sure Pierre still would have been available. We really don't know if his price was ridiculous or not. I would assume most after the season ended would think he'd be able to get more than he wound up getting. BTW, I don't care that the Sox didn't sign Pods with the intention of playing him every day.

Probably around May or June, I'm sure no one will be clamouring for Pods.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 07:20 PM)
It really isn't, it's like saying you were right in declining on a house because their initial offer was too high, so you bought an equal-sized house for 4 million, and it turns out the other house sells for 1.75...and then you rationalize it with Welllppp, their initial asking price was too high, I showed them.

Other suitors dropped out, so it's us and K.C., you think that two teams going after a mediocre player drives him up to a 2 year 8 million dollar deal rather than a 1 yr. 1.75 mill? Really?

We dropped out, found another piece, and now for an equally s***ty player we are paying double, and have another year to watch his slappy ass.

You can "drop out" and still revisit. But yaayyyy we are paying 6 million more for pierre plus 2 mid-level pitching prospects. Yayyy, it's okay because of the initial asking price we can't be pissed that we are paying for a really s***ty player when we could be paying much less for an equally s***ty player.

I'll admit, you are a very intelligent poster, but when it comes to baseball, you just don't know all that much.

This thing could have gone to 2/$8 in a heartbeat just by having another bidder involved. Have you never seen a negotiation? An auction? All it takes is two bidders to drive the price exponentially higher than had there been just one.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 01:25 AM)
I'll admit, you are a very intelligent poster, but when it comes to baseball, you just don't know all that much.

This thing could have gone to 2/$8 in a heartbeat just by having another bidder involved. Have you never seen a negotiation? An auction? All it takes is two bidders to drive the price exponentially higher than had there been just one.

You have to have 2 parties willing to pay that much on Pods and it clearly doesn't seem like there was a case. Otherwise, when the White Sox were negotiating with Pods early on, and there were other suitors, Pods clearly would've gotten that better deal right? You don't just need suitors, you need suitors willing to pay an amount for their services. It appears that no one was willing to pay this 2 for 8 million for pods OR HE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN IT. Lucky for us, we are willing to pay 8 million for Pierre plus two tradeable pitching pieces. Rock and ROLL!!!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 07:25 PM)

I've been to auctions. People usually don't bid more than what they budgeted especially if what they are bidding for isn't something all that valuable. I don't think Pods is a must-have type of guy or else someone would have paid him more money.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 07:33 PM)
One thing we have learned is not to wait around for a lead off hitter. That spot in the order has killed us too many times.

Johnny Damon is still available. I can dream. Gammons said his price may drop to one year for $6-7 million. KW has to hop on that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 08:31 PM)
You have to have 2 parties willing to pay that much on Pods and it clearly doesn't seem like there was a case. Otherwise, when the White Sox were negotiating with Pods early on, and there were other suitors, Pods clearly would've gotten that better deal right? You don't just need suitors, you need suitors willing to pay an amount for their services. It appears that no one was willing to pay this 2 for 8 million for pods OR HE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN IT. Lucky for us, we are willing to pay 8 million for Pierre plus two tradeable pitching pieces. Rock and ROLL!!!

I'm not going to argue with you about Pierre. I like Pierre much more as a player, but what that difference is in a dollar amount, I'm just not sure. Would I pay 2/8m for Pierre rather than 2/$6m for Podsednik? Yes. But do I know the exact threshold, no.

Secondly, your point is flawed in that we are not aware what offers Scott turned down already. Just because the White Sox paid Pierre $8m over 2 years, does not mean that they did not offer Podsednik the same deal, or even slightly higher, only to have him turn it down. Maybe we offered him 2/$7m. We really don't know.

Nowhere does it say that he accepted the highest offer, or that the Royals' offer is the highest he was given.