Top Ten Worst Sox of the Decade

DABearSoX

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
Andy Gonzalez was really bad. I think he had a game with like 3 or 4 errors. It was really amazing, like in a bad way.

I know we ended up getting Beckham, but I don't think I can ever go through another (without putting a bullet in my brain) '07ish season. And it wasn't just the record. But the everyday talent that was put out there was despicable.

I just went through all the rosters and when my nose started to bleed in anger I added them to the list... No real order here, and more than 10 I'm sure:

Kip Wells

Royce Clayton

Danny Wright (f*** You and that hurky-jerky bulls*** pitching motion)

D'Angelo Jiminez

Todd Ritchie

Jose Paniagua

Timo Perez

Andy Gonzalez

Jerry Owens

Mike MacDougal

Billy Koch

DeWayne Wise

Honorable "Who the f*** are you, again?" mentions to:

Bill Pulsipher

Mike Porzio

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)
I know we ended up getting Beckham, but I don't think I can ever go through another (without putting a bullet in my brain) '07ish season. And it wasn't just the record. But the everyday talent that was put out there was despicable.

I spent that season out of market so I couldn't watch any games that weren't on WGN or Saturday Fox games, I watched the rest on Gametracker, meaning I had to watch about 3 months of games in text-form. It might have been even more painful for me because I couldn't even see Andy's face on the tv to yell at him, only the text scroller that said "ball in play / error on third baseman, A. Gonzalez". At least we had the bright spot of Josh Fields and Jerry Owens emerge at the end of the season...

kind of shocked at the lack of toby hall. In addition, luis terrero and cintron...really? They weren´t ever really the worst players on the team, let alone that they were so often bench players.

Also, if you DO have terrero, Julio Ramirez was so much worse, although stellar at D (and that doesn't seem to matter here), the dude was like 0 for his first 46.

Lastly, it really, really has to be Andy Gonzalez.

Jeff LIefer was kind of a dick too, always complaining about P.T.

In no "particular" order...

Andy Gonzalez

Jon Rauch

Mike "Action" Jackson

Alex Rios (so far)

Mark Johnson

Danny Wright

Gary Glover (though bullpen didn't help his era)

Boone Logan

Jim Parque (as much flack as Wells has taken, his whip was still lower than Butter's "good" season)

Royce Clayton

Joe Borchard

Jerry Owens

Mike Porzio

Matt Ginter

Rick White

Nick Masset

Roberto Alomar (our "old" version)

I couldn't stop at 10.. :lol:

I know he was bad defensively, but I can't believe D'Angelo Jimenez (decent offensive numbers) is on people's list. Then again.. I have Royce Clayton (good defensively, horrid offensively) on mine so I guess it's justified.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
The decade starts at 2001 and ends with 2010, btw.

That makes no sense, and I don't want to hear how this goes back to year 1 A.D., or whatever.

In baseball, when you talk about decades, it's the 3rd digit of the year. 1970's were 1970-1979. 1980's were 1980-1989, and so on.

I would never say my favorite White Sox team of the 1980's was 1990. I mean, come on. Get real.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
Paniagua really packed a lot into that third of an inning, didn't he?

:lol: Funny thing is.. I remembered him before Porzio so I had to check why I remembered him, and of course it was the 1/3 of an inning show he put on. Luckally I already had Porzio down as he's pitched more than 50+ inning with us. I made sure the players were justified as far as how much they played.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
In no "particular" order...

Andy Gonzalez

Jon Rauch

Mike "Action" Jackson

Alex Rios (so far)

Mark Johnson

Danny Wright

Gary Glover (though bullpen didn't help his era)

Boone Logan

Jim Parque (as much flack as Wells has taken, his whip was still lower than Butter's "good" season)

Royce Clayton

Joe Borchard

Jerry Owens

Mike Porzio

Matt Ginter

Rick White

Nick Masset

Roberto Alomar (our "old" version)

I couldn't stop at 10.. :lol:

I know he was bad defensively, but I can't believe D'Angelo Jimenez (decent offensive numbers) is on people's list. Then again.. I have Royce Clayton (good defensively, horrid offensively) on mine so I guess it's justified.

Jimenez was the wrong combination of lazy and stupid. That rubs lots of people the wrong way.

10) Jose Valentin - he may not belong for his production but he is my least favorite sox player ever

9) Scott Schoenewis - just a terrible pitcher who kept getting chances

8) Roberto Alomar - for continuing to bring him back like he was the answer when he was well over the hill

7) DeAngelo Jimenez - lazy player wasted talent

6) Danny Richar - another joke of a 2b

5) Jerry Owens - i can hit a softball farther than he can hit a baseball

4) Luis Terrero - that year makes me ill

3) Joe Borchard - we all know the story here, shame cause i hung out with him and he was a really nice guy

2) Darrin Erstad - another overrated veteran who got way too many at bats

1) Andy Gonzales - man i hated 2007, i almost cancelled my season tickets

the common theme on my list seems to be 2b and cf. i hope i am not adding rios to this list in a few years...

I don't think Brian Anderson is the worst but to me was the most fustrating to watch,hell of a glove,good speed,has all the tools but just never could put it together...and he was given many opportunities to be our CF,we even let Rowand walk so BA could play everyday.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
10) Jose Valentin - he may not belong for his production but he is my least favorite sox player ever

9) Scott Schoenewis - just a terrible pitcher who kept getting chances

8) Roberto Alomar - for continuing to bring him back like he was the answer when he was well over the hill

7) DeAngelo Jimenez - lazy player wasted talent

6) Danny Richar - another joke of a 2b

5) Jerry Owens - i can hit a softball farther than he can hit a baseball

4) Luis Terrero - that year makes me ill

3) Joe Borchard - we all know the story here, shame cause i hung out with him and he was a really nice guy

2) Darrin Erstad - another overrated veteran who got way too many at bats

1) Andy Gonzales - man i hated 2007, i almost cancelled my season tickets

the common theme on my list seems to be 2b and cf. i hope i am not adding rios to this list in a few years...

blasphemy

Edited by kjshoe04

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
I refuse to accept that anyone can justify any player other than Andy Gonzalez as the worst Sox player of the decade.

Andy Gonzalez: .185/.280/.249/.529, 39 OPS+

Brent Lillibridge: .158/.273/.179/.452, 21 OPS+

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
I think that even having one moment of greatness, like "the catch", is enough to save you from a an easy list of 10 who never even sniffed mediocre.

Not to mention his numbers overall were not nearly as bad as a Gonzalez/Lillibridge etc...