Hank Blalock

simba43

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
Bottom line is, we need a serious hitter. A star player. We clearly can't afford one, so it'll have to come via trade. I still think there's a chance Jenks goes. I think they got Putz so he could set up Thornton. Freddy Dolsi could fill the missing short relief spot.

Ideally, they get someone to overpay for Linebrink instead, but that's just wishful thinking.

yes we do need a real hitter . its sad that we can't find a way to spend 6 to 8 mil on a good player . well we could try to trade for Josh Hamilton he is cheap and i believe under team control for a couple more years . yeah he is a risk but he is a real talented player .

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)
yes we do need a real hitter . its sad that we can't find a way to spend 6 to 8 mil on a good player . well we could try to trade for Josh Hamilton he is cheap and i believe under team control for a couple more years . yeah he is a risk but he is a real talented player .

Hamilton and Quentin have similar question marks about health. The question is would the sox trade one risk for another risk? Would the Rangers?

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 04:55 AM)
Hamilton and Quentin have similar question marks about health. The question is would the sox trade one risk for another risk? Would the Rangers?

I dont see where he is indicating the Sox should trade Quentin for Hamilton. The question is, why would the Rangers trade a guy who has already shown the talent behind the potential, and is cheap, and is under team control for a while? It makes no sense, Hamilton would only be available for a good haul, and I dont think the Sox would want to give up that haul.

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 11:29 PM)
Bottom line is, we need a serious hitter. A star player. We clearly can't afford one, so it'll have to come via trade. I still think there's a chance Jenks goes. I think they got Putz so he could set up Thornton. Freddy Dolsi could fill the missing short relief spot.

Ideally, they get someone to overpay for Linebrink instead, but that's just wishful thinking.

We're not getting anything remotely close to a star for Jenks, if we were to trade him. His trade value is shot. If this were 2007, we could get a killing. But between his declining performance/stuff, escalating salary, weight/conditioning issues (Ozzie and KW being so vocal about the weight/conditioning certainly doesn't help), there's no market for him.

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 03:39 AM)

I agree, id love to get hamilton, but I don't think we can without opening another hole.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 08:39 AM)
I dont see where he is indicating the Sox should trade Quentin for Hamilton. The question is, why would the Rangers trade a guy who has already shown the talent behind the potential, and is cheap, and is under team control for a while? It makes no sense, Hamilton would only be available for a good haul, and I dont think the Sox would want to give up that haul.

I'd rather have Q than H.

I wouldn't touch him. Even though he'd be a typical White Sox acquisition. A once productive player who's fallen off the map due to injuries, ect.

Agreed. We need to sign some guys who will sell tickets and generate some buzz.

I guess Jerry was right; our big free agents were Peavy and Rios. We're just landing role guys to surround those big acquisitions.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)

I guess Jerry was right; our big free agents were Peavy and Rios. We're just landing role guys to surround those big acquisitions.

The win column sells tickets for the Sox.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
The win column sells tickets for the Sox.

Correct. I just hope if they start winning at the onset of the season, it doesn't take 4 months to start filling the park. The better they do with attendance, the more flexibility they'll have at the deadline if they need some help.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)

The tone would be different if Peavy had been acquired during the offseason. There would be a lot more buzz, I think. But since it happened in the middle of a season that turned out poorly, some of the excitement has worn off.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)
The tone would be different if Peavy had been acquired during the offseason. There would be a lot more buzz, I think. But since it happened in the middle of a season that turned out poorly, some of the excitement has worn off.

Which is ridiculous, considering how well the guy pitched for us in his 3 starts...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
Which is ridiculous, considering how well the guy pitched for us in his 3 starts...

You're right, but it's the old recency effect. People are usually greatly affected by events that occur recently. I think some people have had time to let the Peavy excitement wear off.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 08:49 PM)
You're right, but it's the old recency effect. People are usually greatly affected by events that occur recently. I think some people have had time to let the Peavy excitement wear off.

Eh.. people still get their shots in with Alex Rios on this board still. Not sayin it's right.. but just sayin...

That is true. If we got Peavy and Rios in the offseason there would be a huge buzz.

Rios was a disaster last season but Peavy was amazing in his few starts.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 08:49 PM)

I think its also because peavy pitched so well and we still lost it in the end.

Its just tough because I think we're SO close. I mean if we could just add that solid dh, we'd really be co ntenders. Honestly, the juan pierre move, I think, was the best move we could have made given the circumstances. The starting pitching is top notch, no questions. The bullpen, all things considered, is solid. Its not without its holes but iits definitely AL central competitive. The lineup has a ton of potential, even though there's a huge if-factor. We just need that one proven bat for dh...

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 09:39 PM)

the reason i feel they might trade him is because he had a down year also he was hurt and he is a risk . also if you look the Rangers have a lot of OFS even in there system there deep especially left handed hitters . but i admit it would cost us something but he would still be cheaper then UPTON and much more cheaper then AGON . i admit i don't know his true value and if say Hudson and another prospect could do it or is Hudson to much to trade but i do think we can get him for a package of prospects .

LF Pierre

2b Beckham we don't really have another player that can hit 2nd ? AJ UGH Rameris no patience. Teahen ?

RF CQ Rather put Beckham 3rd and Q 4TH BUT . I seen some with AJ but i can't see it .

1B Konerko i don't like it but who else ? Again AJ Teahen maybe jones if he is DHING

C AJ I REALLY don't like it but Ozzie won't bat 4 righties in a row so ? maybe Teahen

CF Rios or maybe Rameris

3B Teahen

DH Jones funny our DH BATTING 8TH or 9th could be a sign of strength . but in our case more of a sign of weakness . we could bat alexi here

SS Ramires

no matter who we DH most likely he will bat 8th or 9th so except for our leadoff spot our lineup just seems out of place were missing that one impact bat that real number 3 or 4 hitter and we don't have any real left handed power and when we play the Red sox an especially the Yankees we really need that so i really hope our GM WILL DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT . :gosoxretro: :pray

QUOTE (Ranger @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 08:32 PM)

This place would be going crazy if we got Peavy.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
Eh.. people still get their shots in with Alex Rios on this board still. Not sayin it's right.. but just sayin...

Well, yeah, but people don't have short memories when it comes to sucking. They'll always remember the failures. Excitement over something positive, though, tends to wear off more quickly than does frustration over something negative.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
Well, yeah, but people don't have short memories when it comes to sucking. They'll always remember the failures. Excitement over something positive, though, tends to wear off more quickly than does frustration over something negative.

Exactly.

I call it FADS: Fan Attention Deficit Syndrome.

The perception of positive moves only last until the next time you lose a game.

But perceived negative moves last forever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
Rios will not repeat his 2009 next year. I don't know how close he will get to career norms, but he isn't going to be horrible again.

I'd take his final totals as long as he plays plus defense in CF which I'm sure he will.

Sox fans remember his poor play for us, even though he really picked it up at the end. He hit .333 / 2HR / 5 RBI / 3SB over his last 10.