Who are you pulling for as the DH?

caulfield12

Whoever gets Xavier Nady gets the best value of the offseason; 5. Are the Pirates still in the league?

Updates on nine

1. Troy Glaus, 1B, Braves - A low-risk, high-reward signing, Glaus has tremendous power (five 30-homer seasons - two of 40 - and four 100-RBI seasons), and if he is healthy after back and shoulder injuries diminished his career the past few years, he could be a monster. Glaus is agile enough to be a decent first baseman and a heck of a target for his infielders. The one negative trend for the Braves is the lack of commitment to payroll that the owners are making. They had to pass on their own free agents Mike Gonzalez and Rafael Soriano for cheaper versions in Billy Wagner and Takashi Saito. And they traded a good pitcher (Vazquez) for Melky Cabrera.

2. Kerry Wood, RHP, Indians - The Indians would love to move his $10 million salary and $11 million option for 2011, but with a glut of reliever/closer types out there, there has been no cry for Wood, who still can bring it. Wood might be enticing to the Red Sox if they decide to expand their budget.

3. Fausto Carmona, RHP, Indians - The Tribe would say he’s not available, but baseball executives don’t buy it. Carmona has been an enigma at times, but as one longtime National League talent evaluator said, “He’s got one of the best three sinkers in the game.’’ Not a front-end starter, but if a team needs a middle-to-back-end guy, the rebuilding Indians would have to listen.

4. Dan Uggla, 2B, Marlins - There’s no doubt the Marlins are planning another payroll dump, and Uggla would appear to be at the center of it. There was a lot of early talk about him going to the Giants, but that seems to have quieted down. Some scouts believe Uggla is best suited for the American League as a DH or someone you can move around, like a Mark DeRosa. The Marlins, who receive a ton in revenue-sharing and central-fund money, are looking to keep their profit margin high.

5. Jon Garland, RHP, free agent - A market is beginning to develop, and Texas appears to be the early leader. Another mid-to-back-end rotation guy that is probably better off in the NL, but that doesn’t mean an AL team won’t take the plunge if the price is reasonable.

6. Orlando Hudson, 2B, free agent - Seems he was the hot name for a long time, but that has quieted. The Mets remain the most interested, but until they are able to move Luis Castillo - a big if - the Mets may only be able to dream about a Jose Reyes-Hudson DP combo.

7. Vladimir Guerrero, DH, free agent - His choices are limited by what are seen as diminished skills in the outfield. Suffice to say he will be somewhere. Now that the Rangers have pulled out of the Mike Lowell deal, Guerrero could be a candidate for them. However, Jermaine Dye might interest Texas more (and maybe the Mets), considering he still can play the outfield.

8. Russell Branyan, 1B, free agent - An interesting bat to consider. Seattle may re-sign him if it’s for one year, but Branyan wants to cash in on his career year. So far, it’s not happening. He’s out there with guys like Jack Cust, Adam LaRoche, Aubrey Huff, Carlos Delgado, Jim Thome, and Hank Blalock. So the competition is fierce.

9. Miguel Tejada, 3B/SS, free agent - Still a very good bat who would be more valuable at third base. He may have the Mitchell Report stigma, but he loves to play the game and is a great teammate. Tejada could be a good fit for the Twins, who are trying to come up with a third baseman. He remains a good fit for the Rangers in a modified Lowell role (DH, 3B, and fill-in SS). He would have been a decent fit for Boston had Lowell gone in a deal.

from boston.com

WHITE SOX DH POSSIBILITIES

1) Andruw Jones/Kotsay platoon

2) Xavier Nady

3) Dan Uggla

4) Orlando Hudson

5) Vlad the Impaler

6) Russell Branyan

7) Jack Cust

8) Adam LaRoche

9) Aubrey Huff

10) Carlos Farmer in the Delgado

11) Jim Thome

12) Hank Blalock

13) Jeremy Hermida

14) Eric Hinske

15) Miggy Tejada

I'm voting for Hermida, if KW can pry him loose and the Red Sox get off to a slow start and can't afford to play him if he's struggling.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were KC, I would just play the youngsters and forget about recycling players like Mike Jacobs or Ryan Shealy.

Actually, it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to acquire and play Uggla at 1B (he could also play 2B and 3B occasionally)...but he's RH and would cost around $7 million, more or less what Bobby Jenks will make.

You could also bring in Orlando Hudson, put him at 2B, Beckham back at 3B and Teahen as the 1B/DH/corner OF back-up (certainly not defensive replacement though). That would also give the team a lot more speed, veteran leadership and even better defense up the middle. If would also make Teahen a PT/bench/situational player instead of an everyday starter, and I'm not sure KW wants to do that after giving up Getz and Fields for him.

The other option is Tejada at 3B/DH, alternating him with Teahen depending on the match-ups, with Teahen getting some time at 1B as well (although you hate to give up one of Kotsay's bonuses, that he can play that position so well). It will be interesting to see how far down the price goes for Tejada and Guerrero, as well as Hudson again.

FWIW, if Fernando Rodney is only worth $11 million for two years, I think KW is going to have the fingers on the trigger with Jenks at $7 million plus.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
FWIW, if Fernando Rodney is only worth $11 million for two years, I think KW is going to have the fingers on the trigger with Jenks at $7 million plus.

What do you men by only worth $11m? That was a horrible contract. The Angels essentially bought his 2009 save percentage and if they expect him to repeat said SV% in '10, then they'll almost certainly be very disappointed.

I'm fine with the Jones/Kotsay platoon. I'd re-address the situation during Spring Training. Give them the opportunity to win it. If they suck in Spring Training then you sign someone off the scrap heap or you trade for someone.

I think a Jones/Kotsay combination can hit .250 with .340 OBP 25HR and 85RBI. And that's about what you'd get from most of the remaining DH's available. IMO

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
I'm fine with the Jones/Kotsay platoon. I'd re-address the situation during Spring Training. Give them the opportunity to win it. If they suck in Spring Training then you sign someone off the scrap heap or you trade for someone.

I think a Jones/Kotsay combination can hit .250 with .340 OBP 25HR and 85RBI. And that's about what you'd get from most of the remaining DH's available. IMO

Last year Kotsay hit .278/.327/.390/.717 in 206 PA. Jones hit .214/.323/.459/.792. All of this BTW came in hitters parks. Jones hasn't hit above .222 since 2006 (.262) and hasn't posted an OBP above .323 since the same season (.363). Kotsay does hit for decent average (career .281 hitter) but he hasn't posted an OBP above .332 since 2004 (.370, and a product of his .314 AVG). Both are also another year older and Jones especially is still a shell of his former shelf not just in terms of statistics but in terms of actual physical ability. Too many people are hoping for the impossible from this guy.

We should all expect a Kotsay/Jones platoon to be just as bad as it looks, and it looks pretty freaking bad. Combined we might realistically get a line of about .255/.325/.420/.745 out of the DH slot in a hitters park. And when you look at each individual part and not the sum of the parts - because looking at the sum of the parts is the wrong way to look at this - you see one average hitter with very little power who doesn't get on base, and one low average hitter who also doesn't get on base but will hit some Jayson Nix/Juan Uribe-style home runs every now and then in between his typical series of garbage ABs. Neither player should be a starter in the Major Leagues, and putting their numbers together and calling them one medicore hitter doesn't change that.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
Adrian Gonzalez, Prince Fielder, Brad Hawpe, Lyle Overbay, David DeJesus, Carlos Delgado. In that order.

I would definitely be in favor of this depending on the price. If we won't go for a power hitter who is actually good, might as well go for batting average and OBP at the top and just move everyone else down. I doubt it's very realistic though since I imagine Kenny would have checked in on the price for DeJesus before picking up Pierre (or at least I hope).

I'll mention this once again as well: Luke Scott. He shouldn't be extremely expensive and would fill a need, although I wonder what the Orioles would ask for out of our system.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
Last year Kotsay hit .278/.327/.390/.717 in 206 PA. Jones hit .214/.323/.459/.792. All of this BTW came in hitters parks. Jones hasn't hit above .222 since 2006 (.262) and hasn't posted an OBP above .323 since the same season (.363). Kotsay does hit for decent average (career .281 hitter) but he hasn't posted an OBP above .332 since 2004 (.370, and a product of his .314 AVG). Both are also another year older and Jones especially is still a shell of his former shelf not just in terms of statistics but in terms of actual physical ability. Too many people are hoping for the impossible from this guy.

We should all expect a Kotsay/Jones platoon to be just as bad as it looks, and it looks pretty freaking bad. Combined we might realistically get a line of about .255/.325/.420/.745 out of the DH slot in a hitters park. And when you look at each individual part and not the sum of the parts - because looking at the sum of the parts is the wrong way to look at this - you see one average hitter with very little power who doesn't get on base, and one low average hitter who also doesn't get on base but will hit some Jayson Nix/Juan Uribe-style home runs every now and then in between his typical series of garbage ABs. Neither player should be a starter in the Major Leagues, and putting their numbers together and calling them one medicore hitter doesn't change that.

I think your Overbay option is interesting but I wonder if KW/Ozzie want an outfielder/DH.

The key to my post was to re-evaluate the situation in March. The price of players will have gone down. KW/Ozzie will have a better read if Kotsay/Jones/Flowers can DH. I think more is riding on Rios, Konerko and Quentin to perform that who our DH is, unless our DH was a stud like Prince Fielder or Adrian Gonzalez, and we can all assume it's not going to be a stud.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
I think your Overbay option is interesting but I wonder if KW/Ozzie want an outfielder/DH.

The key to my post was to re-evaluate the situation in March. The price of players will have gone down. KW/Ozzie will have a better read if Kotsay/Jones/Flowers can DH. I think more is riding on Rios, Konerko and Quentin to perform that who our DH is, unless our DH was a stud like Prince Fielder or Adrian Gonzalez, and we can all assume it's not going to be a stud.

Just because a ''stud'' is not brought in it why should we settle for a lesser option than necessary? Especially going into the season. The intent of every off-season should be to go into the season as strong as possible. The first game of the year is just as important as the last. Pieces can and should be added during the season, but only when needed, say one of your everyday players goes down for any extended period of time, need a reliever due to lack of production from the pen, bench piece, etc. This platoon situation (as it stands) is a horrid option, considering the players sharing the majority of the at-bats. We need someone brought in that we have an idea of the sort of production we will be receiving, not a major crap shoot, especially when you factor in that this offense is not exactly potent. I realize everyone is banking on the pitching, but the more runs the offense scores, the easier it is on the entire pitching staff in the long run. We still need a big (better than the current options anyway) bat to even be considered in the same discussions as the top teams in the the majors.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
Im gonna throw a name out of my ass here but how bout seeing what the indians would want for Shin Soo Choo?? Theyve got Trevor Crowe waiting in the wings of a starting job. Id be willing to give up hudson. I know im gonna get smashed fo sayin that

Great hitter but not sure the Sox would want to trade a pitcher like Hudson within the division. That would look bad if he shut us down for the next 6 years. Maybe the Sox could get a 3rd team involved.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
Im gonna throw a name out of my ass here but how bout seeing what the indians would want for Shin Soo Choo?? Theyve got Trevor Crowe waiting in the wings of a starting job. Id be willing to give up hudson. I know im gonna get smashed fo sayin that

yes please. I dont know if his military obligations in Korea will keep him out of the league for a few years, but he can hit and run, had a great 2009. Would not think twice about trading Hudson for him

he'd look incredible in the 3 hole for this team. Id give up one of Hudson/Danks/Viceido/Morel and maybe a lower level spect with some potential. I agree getting a 3rd team involved would be better just in case the guy we send em becomes really good but at the same time this guy had 64 XBH(20 HR, 38 Doubles, and 6 triples), 21 stolen bases, and the past 2 years he put up .309/.300 BA .397/.394 OBP .549/.489 Slg .946/.833 ops if he keeps that up i think wed have a better player than hudson.....Plus we have the same birthday