Who are you pulling for as the DH?

caulfield12

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aubrey Huff makes the most sense to me:

1. Left Handed

2. Won't cost a lot. Probably one year deal for $ 4-5 mil.

3. Still young compared to other guys - just turned 33 last week. Could be part of future as well as this year.

4. Can play 1B, 3B, RF and LF

5. Is a really good hitter and a true upgrade for the Sox.

6. Doesn't strike out a lot. Has never struck 100 times in a season.

7. No Scott Borass to deal with.

8. Still has some mobility.

9. Had a down year last year but a monster year in 2008.

Edited by WHITESOXRANDY

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 11:33 PM)

1. Left Handed

3. Still young compared to other guys - just turned 33 last week. Could be part of future as well as this year.

well you've got me sold

I'd be all for Huff if he didn't hit .189 for the Tigers.

Right. That's why I don't want Thome back - his slugging pct. with the Dodgers was only .235 with an OPS of .471. So, he has no more power.

Obviously, he wasn't comfortable with something over the last 6 weeks of the season with Detroit. Before that, he drove in 72 runs in 110 games with Baltimore. He's a career .282 hitter with a .340 OBP.

I'm not saying Huff is Albert Pujols but I think he'd be a pretty good fit, of those left available, to help the White Sox win some games. He's more the type that Ozzie wants where he gives the team some flexibility and he can still move a little bit.

We need a lefty hitter. Kenny has said that's what he wants.

What's nice about Huff is that if Konerko went down early in the season for the year, he could play first rather than Kotsay being the regular there. And, if Teahen were to go down he could play 3B instead of making Vizquel a regular.

He's not perfect but Delgado is injured. Thome they don't want because he offers no flexibilty. Vlad is right handed and health and mobility are questionable. Branyan might be ok but he's been a very inconsistent player over his career. Blaylock is always injured and his rep is borass. Who's left?

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 05:26 AM)
Right. That's why I don't want Thome back - his slugging pct. with the Dodgers was only .235 with an OPS of .471. So, he has no more power.

Obviously, he wasn't comfortable with something over the last 6 weeks of the season with Detroit. Before that, he drove in 72 runs in 110 games with Baltimore. He's a career .282 hitter with a .340 OBP.

I'm not saying Huff is Albert Pujols but I think he'd be a pretty good fit, of those left available, to help the White Sox win some games. He's more the type that Ozzie wants where he gives the team some flexibility and he can still move a little bit.

What's nice about Huff is that if Konerko went down early in the season for the year, he could play first rather than Kotsay being the regular there. And, if Teahen were to go down he could play 3B instead of making Vizquel a regular.

He's not perfect but Delgado is injured. Thome they don't want because he offers no flexibilty. Vlad is right handed and health and mobility are questionable. Branyan might be ok but he's been a very inconsistent player over his career. Blaylock is always injured and his rep is borass. Who's left?

I never said Huff was a pile of s***, but I think it's got to be somewhat concerning that he played 40 games in our division and put up a sub .200 average. I mean he was just absolutely brutal. Check the schedule, his 40 games was almost exclusively AL Central opponents. Now that's not saying that the AL Central is better than the AL East because it's obviously not, but jeez, he was a full-time player (unlike Thome) and Detroit fans absolutely hated him. I wouldn't mind having him as our full-time DH, but he's not my first choice. And even though he had 72 RBI with BAL, he was still only posting a .725 OPS.

And there are always options via trade. Chances are Kenny is looking into something that no one expected.

The trade route is a different scenario. Like you said, that could be anyone. I would rather than give up any talent to add a lefty bat. I don't think it's that crucial with Andruw Jones on the bench. I think the Sox will win the division with whht they have now.

And, I'm not denying that Huff played poorly with Detroit but he did not start everyday and I would completely discount that since he's never had a season resembling that and the first 4 1/2 months of last year were nothing like that.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 06:02 AM)
The trade route is a different scenario. Like you said, that could be anyone. I would rather than give up any talent to add a lefty bat. I don't think it's that crucial with Andruw Jones on the bench. I think the Sox will win the division with whht they have now.

And, I'm not denying that Huff played poorly with Detroit but he did not start everyday and I would completely discount that since he's never had a season resembling that and the first 4 1/2 months of last year were nothing like that.

Well if he had seasons like that, he wouldn't be in the MLB anymore. And like I said, either way, he was only putting up a .725 OPS in Baltimore as a full time player. It's hard to discount an entire 1/4 of the season.

Well if he had seasons like that, he wouldn't be in the MLB anymore. And like I said, either way, he was only putting up a .725 OPS in Baltimore as a full time player. It's hard to discount an entire 1/4 of the season.

Agon anyone? I know enough already. Couldn´t resist. :unsure: :unsure:

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 05:33 AM)

1. Left Handed

Huff does make a lot of sense. Also, IIRC, Kenny has liked Huff in the past.

The sox definitely need a LH bat who can hit for some power vs RHP. PK has been horrible vs. RHP the last few years, and the sox wouldn't lose much production with PK taking a seat for Huff.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 07:58 AM)
Huff does make a lot of sense. Also, IIRC, Kenny has liked Huff in the past.

The sox definitely need a LH bat who can hit for some power vs RHP. PK has been horrible vs. RHP the last few years, and the sox wouldn't lose much production with PK taking a seat for Huff.

Wow Huff would be nice if he could repeat his 2008 numbers...

Rotating DH-

After watching Pods rotate around from CF/LF & DH, I think Kenny Williams wants to try that with Pierre (better bunter)

for a whole year. It should make us less vulnerable during interleague play also. Also, Andruw Jones will be in LF for Pierre in the end of games (ala Brian Anderson for Swish, Mackoviack, Griffey etc)

Plus Paulie can get some rest, Carlos, & AJ can play some DH too (providing we get a decent back up catcher).

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 04:26 AM)

Aubrey Huff has had exactly 1 good season in the past 5, with a couple others putting up relatively mediocre numbers for offensive positions and 2 of them being pretty bad.

In the last 15 years, Jim Thome has had exactly 1 bad season. He isn't the .900 OPS threat he used to be, but he's still a solid .850, with an OPS close to .900 against righties.

Ozzie still has the flexibility of his bench (for that matter, Thome would never have to be in the lineup against a lefty), the Sox get great left handed power, and Thome continues playing because I really don't think he'd go anywhere else.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
Twelve full seasons, and he's played 140 or more in all but two of them. If he's at DH, I'd have little worry.

My worry is that he only put up a .794 OPS in the games he was playing for last year. There's reason to worry that the injuries might be slowing him down. He only got 394 AB's last year so he got a lot of time off too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
My worry is that he only put up a .794 OPS in the games he was playing for last year. There's reason to worry that the injuries might be slowing him down. He only got 394 AB's last year so he got a lot of time off too.

I think what you'll see is a sacrifice of the batting average (hit .294 last year) for more long balls. In the end, an .850 OPS out of our DH and some much needed power.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
Rotating DH-

After watching Pods rotate around from CF/LF & DH, I think Kenny Williams wants to try that with Pierre (better bunter)

for a whole year. It should make us less vulnerable during interleague play also. Also, Andruw Jones will be in LF for Pierre in the end of games (ala Brian Anderson for Swish, Mackoviack, Griffey etc)

Plus Paulie can get some rest, Carlos, & AJ can play some DH too (providing we get a decent back up catcher).

Every time I read this plan it seems like more of a joke.