Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

About 2 months ago I was pulled over for speeding and I posted it in this thread. Didn't have a problem with getting a ticket because I was speeding pretty well. Today I got pulled over by the same trooper in a different town. I had just got done at a job site where I picked up some supplies. I got into the company truck and started on my merry way. Less than 2 blocks later while I was driving and putting on my seatbelt, I was pulled over for not having my seatbelt on and got a $94 ticket. I suppose I shouldn't have a problem with it because I was breaking the rules. But I'm assuming this guy was waiting for me to leave, seeing if I had my seatbelt on or not. Either way it sucks that I went 2 blocks and had my seatbelt halfway on and got pulled over.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's foggy here and cold and damp. And the stupid fog horn beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep noise happens every few minutes or so. It kept me up all night last night--hopefully it stops soon.

Hope the upcoming wedding goes all well for you Jason.

Had a swine flu shot today for my upcoming move to London. Probably wouldn't have gotten one usually, but I was travelling around this time last year when it all went haywire (and I had friends who had to cancel trips to Tijuana, Cabo etc.) so I don't want to take anymore chances this time around either.

Oh yeah, I saw a s***load of famous people in airports. On our flight to Beijing, Shawn Johnson was on the plane from Minneapolis all the way to Beijing. Upon getting through the gates in the Shanghai airport, we got up to the Burger King there (first burger in 2 weeks, BTW) and Usain Bolt and company were hanging out, waiting for their flight out of Shanghai. We got to the Minneapolis airport around 2 PM and my friend said he saw the girl from the Resident Evil movie right behind him in line in the Customs area, and on the way to my gate, I saw to guys wearing NBA Draft Combine '10 shirts. I didn't get a good look at them or have a chance to take a picture with them because it was like 3:05 and my flight was scheduled to leave at like 3:25 and I still needed to get to my gate, but the shorter one (looked about 6'2 or 6'3) looked like John Wall. I just got a glance of him, so that's probably wrong. I got a better look at the other, but haven't been able to match the face in my mind with a face on the interwebz...the person who has the closest resemblance of the 20 or so pics I've looked at is Al-Farouq Aminu, but I'm not exactly sure.

Pretty crazy though...apparently I need to hang out in airports more often. I was in Minneapolis when we were heading to China the same day the Sox were in town (11th), but after looking around a bit, didn't see any of them. Not sure about MLB travel policy and if they go there they night before and get some R&R in Minnesota or what, but it was worth a shot anyways.

Had a phenomenal time, but I'm glad to be back.

I met or saw the following at airports:

Kimber from Nip/Tuck

Peter Gammons

the previous Bears GM/President (forgot his name)

Michael Irvin

Muhsin Muhammad (he actually asked me in the security line if we had ever met...weird)

Freddy Adu (Took a picture with him)

What was the best part about China wite?

I was in Shanghai and Beijing about 10 years ago, but I imagine it's probably changed quite a bit since I was there last.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 25, 2010 -> 10:59 AM)

I was in Shanghai and Beijing about 10 years ago, but I imagine it's probably changed quite a bit since I was there last.

Out of curiousity did any of you see the Leshan Budda? I saw a special on it the other day on NatGeo. I had never heard of it before, and it seems like it would be amazing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 26, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
Out of curiousity did any of you see the Leshan Budda? I saw a special on it the other day on NatGeo. I had never heard of it before, and it seems like it would be amazing.

No I didn't unfortunately, I was mainly based out of Nanjing for 5 weeks with short trips (for a few days) made to Shanghai and Beijing in b/w.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 25, 2010 -> 10:59 AM)

It's hard to pinpoint just one thing as being my favorite, but one of the best things about the trip was the cost of goods. Obviously there are tradeoffs and most of the goods' quality suffers, but I still got quite a bit of stuff for right around $300-400 (and it would have cost easily twice that over here if not more). But just the general experience of being in a huge city and completely immersing myself into an entirely different culture was a scary yet wonderful feeling. It was easily one of the best times of my life.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2010 -> 08:17 PM)

I did not, but that would be amazing to see.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 26, 2010 -> 05:47 AM)
It's hard to pinpoint just one thing as being my favorite, but one of the best things about the trip was the cost of goods. Obviously there are tradeoffs and most of the goods' quality suffers, but I still got quite a bit of stuff for right around $300-400 (and it would have cost easily twice that over here if not more). But just the general experience of being in a huge city and completely immersing myself into an entirely different culture was a scary yet wonderful feeling. It was easily one of the best times of my life.

I did not, but that would be amazing to see.

The sky was awful though huh? The EXPO was pretty amazing though wasn't it? I can't believe they spent that much money for something where everything but a few buildings will be demolished in the next year or so.

My parents recently got wireless internet, so they are now using the new computer and an older one. The older one is working just fine, but the Internet Explorer/Firefox seem not to be fitting correctly on the screen. There is a scroll bar going left and right plus the normal one that goes up and down, which is sort of a pain in the ass to read anything. Does anyone know of a way to fix this?

What I'm saying is that every website requires me to scroll left and right in order to see the entire thing.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 26, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
The sky was awful though huh? The EXPO was pretty amazing though wasn't it? I can't believe they spent that much money for something where everything but a few buildings will be demolished in the next year or so.

The sky was horrendous in Beijing. There were only 2 "clear" days in our 5.5 days there, and even on those clear days it was pretty bad. It wasn't great in Xi'an either, but we were only there for a day and a half, and our visit to the Terracotta Warriors took up the entire first day (getting there and back, plus actually visiting the site and the surrounding shops probably took 4 hours), so I wasn't paying much attention there. Shanghai wasn't great on Friday or Saturday, but the sky did clear up on Sunday and that seemed like the cleanest air of all 3 of the cities, and it was definitely the clearest sky.

Beijing was probably my favorite city from a purely cultural aspect in that felt to be distinctly Chinese. That said, it was also a pretty filthy city all around too, and I'm not sure I would ever be able to live there, though visiting it would be a completely different story...like it was so dirty that my boogers were gray. I wasn't in Xi'an long enough to get a really good feel for the city, but it was a fun place, and the Muslim Quarter at night was an absolute blast (though we really didn't want to stick around the narrow roadways much longer).

But yeah, the Expo was incredible. My friend and I agreed that at the very low end, there were atleast 100,000 people there and I figure that there may have been upwards of 250,000 people there at the highest trafficked hour, and I'm sure it could rise even above that. It was just so vast, and the buildings themselves were amazing. We were only there for about 6 hours and I only got through the Chinese Pavillion (which seemed to be a s***load of propaganda, but it was interesting nonetheless), but just walking around and looking at the buildings themselves was amazing.

A couple of the people from our group stayed back and went through a few of the other pavillions. They said USA's was cool but nothing mindblowing and that Israel's was amazing. They also got into Iran's (why, I don't know), but they said they were getting dirty looks from quite a few people and instead of going upstairs to look around a bit more, they decided it would probably be safer to just leave.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 26, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
My parents recently got wireless internet, so they are now using the new computer and an older one. The older one is working just fine, but the Internet Explorer/Firefox seem not to be fitting correctly on the screen. There is a scroll bar going left and right plus the normal one that goes up and down, which is sort of a pain in the ass to read anything. Does anyone know of a way to fix this?

What I'm saying is that every website requires me to scroll left and right in order to see the entire thing.

Have you played with the screen resolution?