Pods to the Royals

sin city sox fan

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
This thread just feels like it has the makings to be a 12 page thread where someone will get angry and get suspended.

HA!

Pods is the man, and I'm glad to see him get a starting spot. He will always be remembered in Chicago, but I'm very excited about Juan Pierre.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 09:45 AM)
I will never understand the hate that some Sox fans held towards Pods.

i agree. i wish pods the best (except when he plays us). he had a great 2005 and was the catalyst to our world series team. show the man some love!

He didn't sign here because he wanted a two year deal. Well if he doesn't get a two year deal, he might want a new agent. He was out of options. He played chicken with KW and lost. Without inside knowledge I can only specualte that if he would have signed a one year 2 million dollar contract we would have taken him and forgotten about Juan Pierre. Now he and his lovely bride will be playing in KC in front of 10, 000 fans for last place. When your that old and a contending team who you know likes you and wants you then you sign.

Dumb.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 10:17 PM)
Royals signed OF Scott Podsednik to a one-year, $1.75 million contract with a $2 million club option for 2011.

ARE YOU f***ING KIDDING ME??! AND NOW WE HAVE JUAN f***ING PIERRE!?!?! SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?

Wow, that's a great deal for KC. I would have taken that, as much as I've hated Pods, over the Pierre contract.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
.304 .353 .412 = $1.75 mil

.308 .365 .392 = $4.5 mil

WHAT!?

You don't really believe that Pods turned down that offer from KW do you? My guess is, Pods wanted at least a 2 year deal for more money,so KW traded for Pierre. Now Pods finds the market for his services shrinking, so had to take a deal somewhere for less than he was asking. I would think that KW would've jumped at the chance to sign Pods for what KC just signed him for.

QUOTE (spawn @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
You don't really believe that Pods turned down that offer from KW do you? My guess is, Pods wanted at least a 2 year deal for more money,so KW traded for Pierre. Now Pods finds the market for his services shrinking, so had to take a deal somewhere for less than he was asking. I would think that KW would've jumped at the chance to sign Pods for what KC just signed him for.

Of course not. KW didn't wait and he ended up losing and now we have one of the worst offenses in the majors and Andrew Jones as our DH.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 11:38 PM)
Of course not. KW didn't wait and he ended up losing and now we have one of the worst offenses in the majors and Andrew Jones as our DH.

If it's true that we're really at our budget, then it amazes me that we decided to bring in Teahen and use up 4 million of our free dollars for such a marginal player. You can say the same about the 2 million for Vizquel/Kotsay.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 05:38 PM)

Ugh. The very fact that the White Sox would be another option for his services automatically raises Pods' value. And in any event, Pierre is better and healthier than Pods. I don't see how having Pods would suddenly make them better than "one of the worst offenses in the majors."

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)

and pods would have made us that much better? i guess u enjoyed watching pods run the bases and catching* the ball

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
Ugh. The very fact that the White Sox would be another option for his services automatically raises Pods' value. And in any event, Pierre is better and healthier than Pods. I don't see how having Pods would suddenly make them better than "one of the worst offenses in the majors."

exactly. and kw isnt the one that lost here. pods is. he could be on the sox,where he enjoyed it and people liked him and be on a potentially first place team. and i bet he would of made atleast 2mil here. have fun in kc lol

Edited by Melissa1334

What was he suppose to wait for? Sox fans would've been asking for his neck had he chosen to wait this long before signing a left fielder. And how exactly was KW suppose to know that Pods would be forced to settle for what he got? Pods and his agent overplayed their hand IMO, and once Byrd signed with the Cubs, there weren't too many teams looking to sign him.

Yeah, we lost out on Pods. There is about zero chance that he replicates 2008. All you have to do is look at his career numbers to do that.

QUOTE (quickman @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
He didn't sign here because he wanted a two year deal. Well if he doesn't get a two year deal, he might want a new agent. He was out of options. He played chicken with KW and lost. Without inside knowledge I can only specualte that if he would have signed a one year 2 million dollar contract we would have taken him and forgotten about Juan Pierre. Now he and his lovely bride will be playing in KC in front of 10, 000 fans for last place. When your that old and a contending team who you know likes you and wants you then you sign.

Dumb.

Honestly, the guy is trying to support his family.This was most likely his once chance to make some real money in his career, and he held out for it.

Sure, the gamble didn't pay off because the economy is in rotten shape, but I would hardly call him dumb.

I'd like to see how we would act if it were our wallets and our futures at stake.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 07:53 PM)
Pods received only slightly more guaranteed than Omar Vizquel. If the Sox offered him a one year deal , it must have been something similar to what they gave Jones.

That's an incorrect interpretation. The Sox could well have offered him more money than the Royals gave him, but taken themselves out of the running after acquiring Pierre.