2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)
Chris Davis is still very young, trade for him?

He's shown a horrendously high K rate in the majors. There are better options out there for a future 1B. I'd rather roll the dice with Viciedo, and/or trade for someone else.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 09:32 AM)
He's shown a horrendously high K rate in the majors. There are better options out there for a future 1B. I'd rather roll the dice with Viciedo, and/or trade for someone else.

I wasn't suggesting him as a future 1B for the White Sox, just trade for him since he's fallen out of favor with Texas. Send him to Charlotte or B'ham, see if he can be retrained to be more patient. Or, just to end our misery here, give us a big power hitter.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 01:29 AM)
Don't know if you guys are aware of this, but Justin Jones, one of the Sox high picks that got away, is really kicking ass this year and has an outside shot of being the College Baseball Freshman Pitcher of the year.

Wow he keeps up his progression and he'll probably be a first-round pick in 2012 draft. Why didn't we sign him? Too much money? He wanted college all the way?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
Wow he keeps up his progression and he'll probably be a first-round pick in 2012 draft. Why didn't we sign him? Too much money? He wanted college all the way?

Probably some of both. Brian Goodwin is playing well at UNC also, was hitting something like .310/.410/.520 last time I looked.

Trayce Thompson on BA's hot sheet. Nate Jones on the helium watch as well.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...010/269874.html

No. 6 TRAYCE THOMPSON, CF WHITE SOX

Team: low Class A Kannapolis (South Atlantic)

Why He's Here: .385/.500/.846 (10-for-26), 3 HR, 3 2B, 7 RBIs, 6 R, 3 BB, 8 SO, 0-for-1 SB

The Scoop: Thompson struck out 41 times in 106 at-bats last summer in Rookie ball. But even with a strikeout rate hovering near 40 percent, Appalachian League managers were not deterred, praising the second-round pick for his power and physicality. This year, Thompson is making his doubters look foolish, connecting for six extra-base hits in his first week of South Atlantic League play. It's too soon to make lofty comparisons, but Thompson's career beginnings are reminiscent of another second-round prep pick from Southern California: Mike Stanton. The Marlins' slugger hit all of .161/.226/.268 with 21 whiffs in 56 at-bats during his 2007 pro debut.

Nathan Jones, rhp, White Sox: He's a righthander with the White Sox, can touch 98-99 mph with his fastball and is making a new transition this year. No, we're not talking about Sergio Santos, we're talking about Jones, who is repeating high Class A Winston-Salem while moving from the bullpen to the starting rotation. So with a high-octane fastball and a curveball that's a knockout pitch at times, what's the catch? Jones is already 24, in his second full season of pro ball after the White Sox drafted him in 2007 as a fifth-round pick from Northern Kentucky. Yet the early results of his transition to starting have been positive, with a 2.20 ERA and 17 strikeouts in 16 1/3 innings through three starts. Jones finished 2009 showing improved control, and he's carried that over into his new role having issued just four free passes this year.

Maybe.

If you love minor league baseball, then it's a great value.

If you want to watch specifically the Sox minor league teams, then you don't have much control of it...it's like MLB Extra Innings package, but that usually contained 4-5 White Sox games per week, most of the ones that weren't on WGN, except for the WCIU games.

I always found it a lot more informative to just log in for free and listen to the team's radio broadcasts, but that's also because the connection speed where I've lived is to slow to risk trying an online TV product.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 05:14 AM)
Anyone have MiLB.TV?

I'm considering getting it since it's only $30 a year, but is it worth it?

Only if you're going to make use of it. Between White Sox games daily and a host of other teams I like watching (Rays, Rockies, D-backs), there's no way I'd be able to watch very many minor league games. But if you're going to put it to use, for $30, I say go for it.

You'd have to wait until Charlotte plays a team on the road that has cameras at their ballpark. Check Charlotte's schedule and you'll see when they're on. Not frequently though. The other affiliates are never on.

I'm starting to think the only way to improve the Barons is to either shake up the roster with new players either from Charlotte and Winston-Salem or sign some AA 1/2 type guys. Everybody in B'ham would be happy to see David Cook (Corpus Christi) and Victor Mercedes (Oaxaca) back.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
Me.

I like filling minor league teams with good players at their respective levels even if they arent major league talent/prospects. Honestly there are only going to be a handful of guys on each level if that who are solid prospects, I have no problem filling rest of the team with guys like Cook, McPherson, etc. Load up the teams so they are all winners and our prospects come from winning atmospheres.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
Anyone know if David Holmberg will move up to Class A Advanced this year? I looked him up on MILB.COM but they still have him in the Appalachian league.

I hope so. He has the stuff, but i don't see him as a guy on a fast-track.

I hope so. He has the stuff, but i don't see him as a guy on a fast-track.

Yeah no need to rush him just yet. If he has a good first half maybe he can move as he is one of the better young lefty prospects in the system. Thing is TB I don't see when the Appalachian league starts. Or if he needs to repeat it.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
Yeah no need to rush him just yet. If he has a good first half maybe he can move as he is one of the better young lefty prospects in the system. Thing is TB I don't see when the Appalachian league starts. Or if he needs to repeat it.

Usually it's right around the week or so after the amateur FA draft in June....