The Jim Thome Saga Ends

southsider2k5

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_cws

Job market for Thome remains in flux

Rays, other AL teams may be fit for 19-year veteran slugger

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

01/17/10 3:26 PM EST

PEORIA, Ill. -- Jim Thome has celebrated quite a few memorable "firsts" during the course of his illustrious 19-year-career.

complete hot stove coverage

There was the first of his 2,138 hits, the first home run en route to his mammoth total of 564, the first of his 1,565 RBIs and the first walk drawn among his 1,619. And for a man whose goals are first and foremost team-directed, there was the first of his eight seasons to reach the playoffs with Cleveland in 1995.

Currently, though, Thome is going through a first he would have gladly missed out on during his run to Major League Baseball's Hall of Fame. The prolific slugger stands as a man without a job as Spring Training fast approaches.

"It's a new experience for me, but you have to let the process play out," said Thome, speaking to MLB.com prior to the 15th annual Joyce Thome Benefit for Children's Hospital of Illinois on Saturday night at the Peoria Civic Center. "Again, you trust your agents and trust the fact somebody will call and I'll play in 2010."

Thome turns 40 on Aug. 27, but age certainly has not caused a precipitous drop in his production or his conditioning. He looks in the sort of solid physical shape primed for another couple of 30-home run seasons, and even his 23 home runs and 77 RBIs in 2009 would fit nicely for any team in need of a productive middle-of-the-order left-handed bat.

Those 2009 statistics certainly would have been greater if not for the White Sox trading Thome to the Dodgers, where he received a chance to play for that elusive World Series ring, but also was limited to pinch-hitting responsibilities and 15 at-bats in September. That time in Los Angeles gave Thome a chance to heal up, and he also relished the opportunity to play for manager Joe Torre and talk hitting with Don Mattingly.

Present job opportunities for Thome clearly will be limited to the American League. A handful of teams have contacted Thome's representative, Pat Rooney from SFX Baseball, and while Thome would not list any of those with interest, MLB.com has learned Tampa Bay stands as one of them.

The Rays would make sense in that Thome could split DH time with Pat Burrell, who previously played with Thome in Philadelphia. Thome's power stroke would serve as a great benefit for any team with playoff aspirations, such as Tampa Bay.

"If you are a team that wants to win, it's hard for me to see, with the way Jim swung the bat last year and the person he is, that somehow, some way he can't fit on a team in the Major Leagues," said White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko of his friend and former teammate. "Things are a little different now. Signings happened quickly before, where everything took place before Christmas. Now, it seems like everything is being drawn out more to the start of Spring Training. There are still a lot of good players out there, guys who had very good seasons and haven't signed yet."

A quick search of the respective AL depth charts leaves Detroit as another candidate for a DH, but the Tigers don't seem inclined to have one set hitter at this position. And of course, there's Thome's home for part of four years on the South Side of Chicago, but manager Ozzie Guillen also has expressed the desire to go with a DH-by-committee situation.

No bitter feelings exist toward the White Sox from Thome, who understands it's purely a business decision in regard to presently severing ties with a most popular individual within the organization. Nothing really stands as contractually imminent between Thome and any of the teams who have contacted him.

Thome's desire is to have a job at the start of Spring Training. If that situation does not play out, then Thome has to sit down with his family and assess the next move.

"How do you go about that, and what do guys do if they are unsigned and Spring Training starts?" said Thome, pointing out some of the questions to be answered. "Really, you go somewhere and continue to work out and be ready to go if someone does call you.

"I've been blessed to do this a long time. I know I'm getting into the twilight of my career, but I don't want to sit there and say I'm going play another year or two. The bottom line is you just want to keep playing if you can keep playing and not really put a number of years out there."

Charlie Manuel, the Phillies manager and Thome's mentor, made it clear during Saturday's charity event as to how Thome will continue playing simply because he remains a great hitter. Whatever the final destination, and whether it's in February or April, it's a guarantee Thome will appreciate the chance to participate in his 20th big league season.

"In life, you are put in opportunities and you savor every moment you are put in," Thome said. "I tried to do that for four years in Chicago and through all the steps I've been able to go through to reflect and embrace every moment."

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see him coming back and as much as I like Thome I don't want him back. To me he is part of the team that sucked last year. He is part of the problem and not the solution. Key word is "part" as I'm not just blaming him as there were other underachievers. I don't think KW is in any hurry to bring him back since he sent a memo around the waiver deadline saying all of his veterans were available if anyone wanted them.

It's time to go in a different direction.

QUOTE (striker @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
I don't see him coming back and as much as I like Thome I don't want him back. To me he is part of the team that sucked last year. He is part of the problem and not the solution. Key word is "part" as I'm not just blaming him as there were other underachievers. I don't think KW is in any hurry to bring him back since he sent a memo around the waiver deadline saying all of his veterans were available if anyone wanted them.

It's time to go in a different direction.

I've never understood this mindset. You have a team that underachieves, so you don't want any of those players back, even if they overachieve? I don't get it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 06:30 PM)
I've never understood this mindset. You have a team that underachieves, so you don't want any of those players back, even if they overachieve? I don't get it.

I personally just wanted to see Dye and Thome gone. They both had great runs in Chicago but I think their best days are past them. I also think with Konerko at 1B, if KW were to make a run for a big time hitter then he needs that DH spot available to put that hitter or to put another hitter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
Frankly, that's a good match for him too, maybe give them what they tried to get with Burrell last year...although he kinda duplicates Pena with the bat a lot doesn't he?

You say it like it's a bad thing. God damn those duplicate .370+ wOBA bats!

Andruw jones is in the best shape of the last decade.....Last year Jim hit under .250 with 23 HR, yes there's gonna be a huge drop off in OBP but I believe AJ can easily match that .250 23 and above if he truly is in the best shape in a decade, a decade in which he averaged 33 HR......Id love to have Thome back because hes a lefty but i have a strong feeling were going into next year with jones as rotating DH with CQ and there will be days where Kotsays at 1B and PKs the DH.

are we seriously sticking with the jones/kotsay dh platoon. i really didnt think this was going to happen but as spring training approaches im beginning to fear its becoming more of a reality. just sign thome! he would probably play for peanuts to come back to chicago!

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
Andruw jones is in the best shape of the last decade.....Last year Jim hit under .250 with 23 HR, yes there's gonna be a huge drop off in OBP but I believe AJ can easily match that .250 23 and above if he truly is in the best shape in a decade, a decade in which he averaged 33 HR......Id love to have Thome back because hes a lefty but i have a strong feeling were going into next year with jones as rotating DH with CQ and there will be days where Kotsays at 1B and PKs the DH.

Christ, he hit .249. He was also limited to 417 PA with the Sox and still hit 23 HR or about 1 HR every 18 PA, approximately the same rate he showed in '07.

If it were as simple as just getting in shape Andruw Jones would have turned his career around by now. It's humorous that we get this standard pre-spring training fare talking about people being in the best shape of their lives or taking up Yoga/Pilates/Balet or getting laser eye surgery or discovering some new training technique that's going to turn them into a superstar and every year people just gobble it up and of course every year it amounts to jack s***.

Andruw Jones hits the StairMaster and suddenly it's the year 2000 again.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
Christ, he hit .249. He was also limited to 417 PA with the Sox and still hit 23 HR or about 1 HR every 18 PA, approximately the same rate he showed in '07.

If it were as simple as just getting in shape Andruw Jones would have turned his career around by now. It's humorous that we get this standard pre-spring training fare talking about people being in the best shape of their lives or taking up Yoga/Pilates/Balet or getting laser eye surgery or discovering some new training technique that's going to turn them into a superstar and every year people just gobble it up and of course every year it amounts to jack s***.

LenDale White gave up tequila, got in the best shape of his life and he ended up riding pine while Chris Johnson shattered all kinds of records. Maybe shedding a few pounds will increase Jones' bat speed again but its likely the age factor, looping swing and overall declining of skills will play a bigger role in his performance than shedding a little off the love handles.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)

Take a look at the last line of my post im all for bringing in thome. I think the only way we see a DH brought in is if its a few weeks into spring training and Jones looks like hes looked the last few years. I see no reason why Jones can hit 30+ HR and hover around .250

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
LenDale White gave up tequila, got in the best shape of his life and he ended up riding pine while Chris Johnson shattered all kinds of records. Maybe shedding a few pounds will increase Jones' bat speed again but its likely the age factor, looping swing and overall declining of skills will play a bigger role in his performance than shedding a little off the love handles.

lol thats not a fair comparison Chris Johnson is a flat out beast, and LenDAle white was never really good

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
Take a look at the last line of my post im all for bringing in thome. I think the only way we see a DH brought in is if its a few weeks into spring training and Jones looks like hes looked the last few years. I see no reason why Jones can hit 30+ HR and hover around .250

I agree, especially since he hasn't done either of those things in FOUR YEARS!!

Are we really going to decide the fate of the position based upon a few weeks of ABs against spring training scrubs? That's just baseball retarded, to put it mildly. Why not just sign Thome, have him DH, and if Jones miraculously turns himself around then we have a great problem to deal with. Waiting to see what happens with Jones/Kotsay in spring training is disastrous because, by the time we rightfully correct the mistake, no one will be available. Then everyone can complain when Williams signs whatever crap is remaining or overpays with prospects for a DH.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
Thome isnt coming here, so whats the point of the argument.

Exactly it would of happened already if it was going to happen. KW is done IMO, he got his guys, and used the rest of the money to avoid arb with Danks, Q, Pena, and whoever else i wanna say there was one more guy. I think Andruw playin under a hard as like Bobby Cox was is gonna work out for him and why dont we all just keep our mouths shut till he doesnt, hes on our team deal with it.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)

How about this for a reason: the last time he came close to doing either he was still in his 20's. It's been 4 years. Perhaps he's just not that damn good anymore, it tends to happen especially when you start getting into your mid 30's and have nearly 2000 career major league games under you belt.

Oddly enough spring training cliches that were likely leaked by club sources as part of a growing campaign to sell us on the rotating DH featuring Jones and Kotsay as primary players and perhaps a week or 2 of beating up on Single A pitchers in late February/early March isn't going to go a long way to ease my concerns over the DH situation.

Thome: 'My door is open'

Comment Email Print Share

By Jon Greenberg

ESPNChicago.com

Archive

Jim Thome said if the White Sox want him back, all they have to do is call him. But he isn't exactly waiting by the phone.

"My door is open," the affable designated hitter said to reporters at the White Sox's "Bring Me Home" campaign event at U.S. Cellular Field on Wednesday night. "All you've got to do is call me. We'll see what happens. Obviously in baseball, I've learned that sometimes business moves are made and business decisions are made and you have to respect those decisions and move on."

ESPNChicago.com baseball blog

Baseball blog The latest news from baseball beat reporter Bruce Levine. Blog

Thome was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers last year, ostensibly to give the 39-year-old a chance to win a World Series ring. He got just 22 plate appearances as a pinch-hitter for the Dodgers, which lost in the NL Championship Series to Philadelphia.

Thome has 564 home runs, five shy of Rafael Palmeiro for 11th place on the all-time list and 22 shy of Frank Robinson, who is currently seventh on the list. Mark McGwire is 19 home runs ahead of Thome.

"I want to play baseball," said Thome, who praised the White Sox organization several times in a brief interview. "Right now, we're talking to a few teams, so we'll see what happens. It's been a slow winter in the market, so we're waiting to see what's going to happen and move forward."

Thome and Paul Konerko, along with their wives, started the "Bring Me Home" charity, which helps raise money for foster children and foster families, in 2007.

Thome is still popular among White Sox players and executives, and he still hit 23 homers last year, so it's not unreasonable to think he could return. But manager Ozzie Guillen has made it clear that he wants the DH spot to be flexible, so he can rotate players in and out of the spot. Thome, who needs regular maintenance on his back, can't play the field.

Konerko, Andruw Jones, Carlos Quentin and Mark Kotsay will likely rotate at DH.

"I have no idea [how it would work]. I've never been on a team that did that," Konerko said. "Since 2000, every year I've been here there has been a full-time DH, give or take a week when someone was hurt or whatever. We'll see how that plays out. They seem to be confident it's the right thing to do."

Konerko said he is pushing for Thome's return, and wouldn't mind seeing Jermaine Dye back too. While that's not really feasible, Konerko said he's surprised those two don't have jobs yet.

"He's still productive," Konerko said of Thome. "Both of them are. You're not talking about guys who are looking for one last shot after an off year. You're talking about two guys who had productive years."

I'm slowly getting used to the fact of DH spot being split by Paulie, TCQ, Kotsay and Jones.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4844169

I believe he can be had for roughly 2 mil....

pierre beckham thome quentin konerko AJ Rios Teahen Ramirez....nice lineup

By Jon Greenberg

ESPNChicago.com

Archive

Jim Thome said if the White Sox want him back, all they have to do is call him. But he isn't exactly waiting by the phone.

"My door is open," the affable designated hitter said to reporters at the White Sox's "Bring Me Home" campaign event at U.S. Cellular Field on Wednesday night. "All you've got to do is call me. We'll see what happens. Obviously in baseball, I've learned that sometimes business moves are made and business decisions are made and you have to respect those decisions and move on."

ESPNChicago.com baseball blog

Baseball blog The latest news from baseball beat reporter Bruce Levine. Blog

Thome was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers last year, ostensibly to give the 39-year-old a chance to win a World Series ring. He got just 22 plate appearances as a pinch-hitter for the Dodgers, which lost in the NL Championship Series to Philadelphia.

Thome has 564 home runs, five shy of Rafael Palmeiro for 11th place on the all-time list and 22 shy of Frank Robinson, who is currently seventh on the list. Mark McGwire is 19 home runs ahead of Thome.

"I want to play baseball," said Thome, who praised the White Sox organization several times in a brief interview. "Right now, we're talking to a few teams, so we'll see what happens. It's been a slow winter in the market, so we're waiting to see what's going to happen and move forward."

Thome and Paul Konerko, along with their wives, started the "Bring Me Home" charity, which helps raise money for foster children and foster families, in 2007.

Thome is still popular among White Sox players and executives, and he still hit 23 homers last year, so it's not unreasonable to think he could return. But manager Ozzie Guillen has made it clear that he wants the DH spot to be flexible, so he can rotate players in and out of the spot. Thome, who needs regular maintenance on his back, can't play the field.

Konerko, Andruw Jones, Carlos Quentin and Mark Kotsay will likely rotate at DH.

"I have no idea [how it would work]. I've never been on a team that did that," Konerko said. "Since 2000, every year I've been here there has been a full-time DH, give or take a week when someone was hurt or whatever. We'll see how that plays out. They seem to be confident it's the right thing to do."

Konerko said he is pushing for Thome's return, and wouldn't mind seeing Jermaine Dye back too. While that's not really feasible, Konerko said he's surprised those two don't have jobs yet.

"He's still productive," Konerko said of Thome. "Both of them are. You're not talking about guys who are looking for one last shot after an off year. You're talking about two guys who had productive years."

Jon Greenberg is a writer and columnist for ESPNChicago.com.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 07:37 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4844169

I believe he can be had for roughly 2 mil....

pierre beckham thome quentin konerko AJ Rios Teahen Ramirez....nice lineup

Even if he played 150 games this year, he still does not get to 600 home runs. He is a wonderful person, but we have to move on, he has not figured out how to beat the shift and soft tossing lefties make him look bad.