The Jim Thome Saga Ends

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 09:15 PM)
That new Cowley piece really is something.

It's almost like they openly want 2010 to be all on Guillen. It's his baby

To wreck or succeed with

It does seem that way, but it would be silly to blame the manager if the season wasn't a success because the personnel wasn't up to snuff.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 09:15 PM)
That new Cowley piece really is something.

It's almost like they openly want 2010 to be all on Guillen. It's his baby

To wreck or succeed with

Cowley said that that when he was on B & B today too. I wonder if the possibility of Thome going to the Twins instead a team out of the division might make KW sign him.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 09:20 PM)
It does seem that way, but it would be silly to blame the manager if the season wasn't a success because the personnel wasn't up to snuff.

well it depends, if KW and JR went to Ozzie and said you could have player X or Y and Ozzie opted for certain types of players than it is Ozzie's choice. Not sure if they're giving him that much say so, but I would have to believe if this is the roster going into the season Ozzie had some say in it.

To me... even if they don't think he has much left... it would be a smart business decision to resign Big Jim and get him back here.

This would be the total opposite of "The White Sox Way"... but I can't think of a better person to become the next ambassador for the Sox after his career is over (2011).

He would serve well as the replacement for Moose Skowron.

It sounds to me like Ozzie has been saying he wants this sort of a team for a while now, and they have not been giving it to him. Now that we have not seem great results with Kenny's vision, Ozzie is saying give me a chance at this.

It also sounds like Jimmy going to Minnesota is too much to handle for Kenny though, and he's saying "look Ozzie, even Minnesota, the team you're trying to emulate, wants to sign JT."

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)
well it depends, if KW and JR went to Ozzie and said you could have player X or Y and Ozzie opted for certain types of players than it is Ozzie's choice. Not sure if they're giving him that much say so, but I would have to believe if this is the roster going into the season Ozzie had some say in it.

But Ozzie is the 3rd man on the totem pole. Ultimately its KW's responsibilty with JR's OK to mold the roster, or why even bother paying him? Let him hang out at Market. If they decide they want to give Ozzie the responsibilty of making the roster, then KW and/or JR should utimately be responsible for that decision. Bobby Cox has had tremendous success as a manager, but was pretty much a bust as a GM.

It used to be up to Konerko and Thome if they wanted to add to the roster. Ozzie had no idea KW even claimed Rios on waivers. Its very curious, but I think ultimately they will get another player. They have already come out and said they have the funds for another player. Usually we hear the exact opposite. Whether its Thome or someone else who can play the field, someone is coming in.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 09:29 PM)
Thome coming back would a be a huge PR boost if it happens.

I'd bench him versus lefties and tough righties, if I was Ozzie, though.

I wonder if the Sox would have this supposed change of heart if it were any other team but the Twins rumored to be close to signing him. That's 18 games a year and the only team you can look at right now in the division and say they could be better than the Sox. If Thome helped them win and Jones and Kotsay don't play all that well, it would be something not quite as bad as the White Flag Trade, but pretty close, especially if we are talking a contract for peanuts.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
But Ozzie is the 3rd man on the totem pole. Ultimately its KW's responsibilty with JR's OK to mold the roster, or why even bother paying him? Let him hang out at Market. If they decide they want to give Ozzie the responsibilty of making the roster, then KW and/or JR should utimately be responsible for that decision.

It used to be up to Konerko and Thome if they wanted to add to the roster. Ozzie had no idea KW even claimed Rios on waivers. Its very curious, but I think ultimately they will get another player. They have already come out and said they have the funds for another player. Usually we hear the exact opposite. Whether its Thome or someone else who can play the field, someone is coming in.

You need to seriously get off that kick. The Sox were damn near 30 games over .500 through the first half of 2006. There were no obvious/realistic additions to be made. So what if KW asked for some player input? Do you really believe that Kenny has ever not made a deal based on a player's opinion? Give it a rest.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
You need to seriously get off that kick. The Sox were damn near 30 games over .500 through the first half of 2006. There were no obvious/realistic additions to be made. So what if KW asked for some player input? Do you really believe that Kenny has ever not made a deal based on a player's opinion? Give it a rest.

He also asked them in 2007. JD got some input too. I guess they thought Andy Gonzalez was enough. Wasn't 2006 the year Soriano was rumored to be coming to the White Sox?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 10:40 PM)
He also asked them in 2007. JD got some input too. I guess they thought Andy Gonzalez was enough. Wasn't 2006 the year Soriano was rumored to be coming to the White Sox?

Dick, you make some very good points at times. I generally like you as a poster. But as J4L stated, you beat s*** into the ground so much it makes people crazy.

We read you the first 157 times you typed that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
But Ozzie is the 3rd man on the totem pole. Ultimately its KW's responsibilty with JR's OK to mold the roster, or why even bother paying him? Let him hang out at Market. If they decide they want to give Ozzie the responsibilty of making the roster, then KW and/or JR should utimately be responsible for that decision. Bobby Cox has had tremendous success as a manager, but was pretty much a bust as a GM.

It would definitely be a move away from what they normally do, but this is such a stark contrast to KW's rosters that something is different, especially when JR was in the paper last week saying they had money for a player if they needed it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
I wonder if the Sox would have this supposed change of heart if it were any other team but the Twins rumored to be close to signing him. That's 18 games a year and the only team you can look at right now in the division and say they could be better than the Sox. If Thome helped them win and Jones and Kotsay don't play all that well, it would be something not quite as bad as the White Flag Trade, but pretty close, especially if we are talking a contract for peanuts.

I do agree with you here though. I think him signing with the Twins is enough for Kenny to just say, I've had enough Ozzie, I can't standby and let the Twins sign him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 09:49 PM)
Dick, you make some very good points at times. I generally like you as a poster. But as J4L stated, you beat s*** into the ground so much it makes people crazy.

We read you the first 157 times you typed that.

Thanks for the critique. I'm just curious why the responsibility has changed. I'm hoping its all BS because they really need another hitter.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
Thanks for the critique. I'm just curious why the responsibility has changed. I'm hoping its all BS because they really need another hitter.

I have a feeling if Thome signs elsewhere the Sox will be in the division race and deal for a bat giving up good prospects.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)

DA, I'm not trying to be condscending, but that sort of thing wears on everyone. You've made your point. But you've also stretched it to the point where it's neither accurate or fair as an analogy any longer.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
I have a feeling if Thome signs elsewhere the Sox will be in the division race and deal for a bat giving up good prospects.

I agree that another bat seems to be a pretty obvious need right now. Then again, if Bobby Jenks pitches like he used to pitch and Linebrink comes back strong and Thornton stays were he's at, and Putz gets back to what he was in 2006-7 and Pena pitches like Cliff Politte in 2005, they won't have to score many runs, but as we all know chances are that doesn't happen. There are always some surprises and some dissappointments every season.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 10:12 PM)
I agree that another bat seems to be a pretty obvious need right now. Then again, if Bobby Jenks pitches like he used to pitch and Linebrink comes back strong and Thornton stays were he's at, and Putz gets back to what he was in 2006-7 and Pena pitches like Cliff Politte in 2005, they won't have to score many runs, but as we all know chances are that doesn't happen. There are always some surprises and some dissappointments every season.

I agree, but I think the Cell is a major X factor... also, I think they need another bat and I am counting on baseball oddness of a hitter having a career year as well, in the AL they just seem a little lacking to me. Nothing major, just another good stick. It would help to have a good OBP and take some pitches because they are a little lacking in that right now, and with that formula it makes it easy for an opposing manager to get his starter through 7 and avoid the soft part of most pens.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)

Williams deserves all of the criticism if that scenario were to occur. It's not as if no one could have foreseen Kotsay/Jones struggling, or Thome adequately performing the role of a DH for $2million.

It'll be all the more hilarious if we're in contention or close come June and Williams overpays in prospects for a DH with similar numbers to Thome.

Hell, even if Kotsay/Jones are struggling and Thome is doing poorly or is injured, it still wouldn't absolve Williams from any blame. Those two are never the right answers to the question of who should be the DH. In my mind, the only way Williams gets off with this DH situation is if Jones/Kotsay equal or exceed Thome's production. It'd only make sense if they're not pursuing him, or someone else, that they believe what they have is superior. And that's exactly how I'll look at it. The entire season. Every AB.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

With the Twins interest, KW is almost forced to sign Thome-no matter what Ozzie wants. It would be a PR nightmare for KW if the Sox were a hitter short at DH, and Thome puts up good numbers for a division winning Twins club. Signing Thome puts that "I told you so" from fans to bed. The upside is it'll be a good faith signing to both the fans and players, no matter what Thome does during the season. This could only lead to better ticket sales, not worse, while a Thome doing well on the Twins/ Sox needing a power bat could lead to fans staying at home griping about being a hiiter short.

I would have liked the sox to add a lefty bat that could play the field--which would have given Ozzie flexibility and guys time off. But Thome does give them the power lefty bat they are currently lacking.

50:50 now according to Cowley.

Going with a platoon of Thome and Jones at DH makes the most sense.

Jones can easily play some OF against RHP's in order to get him more AB's if need be.

Thome had an .881 OPS against RHP's last season hitting .262. That's pretty damn good production.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2010 -> 08:24 AM)
Supposedly he's willing to sign for $1 million. That's not even Toby Hall money. If you aren't going to bring in Damon, this is a no brainer.

It's insulting for a still-productive hitter of his career caliber to sign for such a measly figure, but if this is true then Thome needs to be on this roster right now. Christ, even Omar Vizquel is making more than that.

BTW at this pace the Sox would have been able to field half a team if they hadn't made that idiotic Pierre trade.