Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

knightni

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
loooooooong overdue. I just dont understand why they havent gone this route earlier, it makes no sense whatsoever. The upkeep on field turf has to be minimal compared to the amount of times they have had to replace the sod at soldier field since it opened. And we are only considering football games here, dont they still play soccer on soldier field? And they also have concerts which ruin the field.

And lets not even talk about injuries caused by the crappy turf. and the embarrassment of the tv announcers constantly ripping on the turf

I wasn't a field turf believer before, but we got it at our local HS a few years back, and the stuff is a dream. We had problems like Soldier Field with the turf getting ripped to shreds. It has been great.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)
And Miami and Oakland are baseball stadiums as well...so we are probably among the worst with Pittsburgh.

Most of this has to do with the weather. Part of it has to do with the insistence to allow hs football games to take place the same week as Bears games.

Time for field turf.

A spokesman for the Park District told the Tribune that Soldier Field is not allowed to host any event up to five days before a Bears game. The Prep Bowl was the Friday before Bears/Eagles. Hmmmmm....

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
If that is the case why are places like Green Bay and New England ahead of us? Somebody call Roger Bossard and fix this the right way.

I think it is the lake effect. I think the rapidly changing temps that can occur along the Lake can cause havoc on a field like Soldier Field that doesn't come into play in other cold weather areas.

I could be wrong...but that would be my guess.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
If that is the case why are places like Green Bay and New England ahead of us? Somebody call Roger Bossard and fix this the right way.

Gillette Stadium is field turf

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)

They did. Then they saw his bill and said "No, thanks."

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)
They did. Then they saw his bill and said "No, thanks."

That is just crazy. You are a major league sport in the third biggest city in the country. Spend the money once and be done with it, instead of spending tons of money to get your half-assed job redone multiple times a year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)
The total on the Bears/NE game is down to 38.5 at some places.

The over seems like the lock of the century to me.

Of course, that probably means bet the under with the way I have been seeing things lately :)

Chicago weather, 35 mph winds, that Bears defense, and the Bears O-line?

The NFL has suspended New England Patriots rookie inside linebacker Brandon Spikes for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Spikes is not appealing the four-game suspension, allowing the punishment to begin with Sunday's game against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field and wiping out the remainder of the regular season. He will be allowed to participate in the playoffs .

"I've been contacted by the NFL and informed that I will be suspended four games for the detection of an illegal substance in a drug test," Spikes said in a statement released by the Patriots. "The substance was a medication that I should have gotten clarification on before taking. It was not a performance enhancer or an illegal drug.

Link

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
Gillette Stadium is field turf

I remember them replacing it mid-season after a particularly bad week there. The last home game before they switched made Soldier Field look good.

edit: Wiki says it was in 2006. The first game was against the Bears, which was the same game Brady embarrassed Urlacher.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
That is just crazy. You are a major league sport in the third biggest city in the country. Spend the money once and be done with it, instead of spending tons of money to get your half-assed job redone multiple times a year.

The Bears don't own the stadium. It's up to the CPD.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
I remember them replacing it mid-season after a particularly bad week there. The last home game before they switched made Soldier Field look good.

edit: Wiki says it was in 2006. The first game was against the Bears, which was the same game Brady embarrassed Urlacher.

The Bears don't own the stadium. It's up to the CPD.

I know this is true, but at the same time I believe if the Bears said "ok it is about time we get this done" the CPD would do it. The Bears FO has also been quoted as saying they want no part of Field Turf in soldier field

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
Chicago weather, 35 mph winds, that Bears defense, and the Bears O-line?

The weather has never seemed to slow the Pats offense down. The Monday night game very cold, relatively high winds, and they put up 45 points. Last year against Tennessee in the snow, they put up 59 points. Two years ago against Arizona in the snow, they put up 47 points, and that was with Matt Cassel at QB. I don't think the weather is going to hinder their short passing game all that much, unless the footing becomes so terrible that their timing gets ruined. But this has really yet to be seen.

actually, upon further review of this article, it appears the BEARS are dragging their feet

The city and the park district approached the Bears at the end of the 2009 season to recommend the installation of a synthetic field, but the Bears have chosen to wait until further studies regarding synthetic fields and player safety are completed before making a decision on a new playing surface, Soldier Field officials said.

Ha, they threw it right back in the Bears lap. LOL

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)
actually, upon further review of this article, it appears the BEARS are dragging their feet

Ha, they threw it right back in the Bears lap. LOL

Good info.

Maybe the CPD is asking for the Bears to pay for a portion and they don't want to? I dunno, but it should be fixed either way. Their field is a national joke pretty much every year.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
Good info.

Maybe the CPD is asking for the Bears to pay for a portion and they don't want to? I dunno, but it should be fixed either way. Their field is a national joke pretty much every year.

That is pretty much my guess. I mean, why would one of the most profitable organizations in the league want to pay for part of field that would enhance public perception of the team? Sillyness

I understand why the Park District would want to defend themselves, I mean I'm sure they really are doing the best they can. But obviously that's not good enough. Grass in Chicago in November/December just doesn't grow and the fields get torn up really quick. Install field turf once and you're done.

And I remember when Gilette got field turf b/c they were saying how it was brand new, and we ironically played that really ugly game vs. the Patriots as soon as it was used. The field before that was HORRIBLE.

Here is the funny thing. The Bears have said on the record they are worried about injuries on the field turf. Fine, then why do they practice on Field Turf at Halas Hall inside the bubble then? I understand it is an indoor facility and there are not a lot of options besides that, but you play 8 regular season games at Soldier Field and 2 pre-season games. Yet, I'm sure they practice more than 10 times in the bubble. Isn't there far more of an injury risk that way?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
Good info.

The stuff we got in City was $750,000 and can take 10 inches of rain, in an hour! I can't imagine it costing more than a 3rd round pick.

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 07:45 PM)
Here is the funny thing. The Bears have said on the record they are worried about injuries on the field turf. Fine, then why do they practice on Field Turf at Halas Hall inside the bubble then? I understand it is an indoor facility and there are not a lot of options besides that, but you play 8 regular season games at Soldier Field and 2 pre-season games. Yet, I'm sure they practice more than 10 times in the bubble. Isn't there far more of an injury risk that way?

I never got that either. They should do like Green Bay and make a synthetic mix of actual grass with turf.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 07:32 AM)
THe Vikings/Giants game has been postponed until Monday night, the game might be postponed again due to the Metrodome roof collapsing under snow.

Update: the dome has collapsed

t1larg.dome.colaspe.kare.jpg

Wow. Thursday nighter? Then again, it's too soon to turn around and have a game on Sunday again.

As far as Bear weather, you suckers who like it are getting it. It's snowing with wind here in Oak Forest, and it's going to be colder over there. Pats 13 Bears 10.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
Wow. Thursday nighter? Then again, it's too soon to turn around and have a game on Sunday again.

As far as Bear weather, you suckers who like it are getting it. It's snowing with wind here in Oak Forest, and it's going to be colder over there. Pats 13 Bears 10.

gregaiello (NFL PR) - We were notified this morning by the Metrodome authorities that the dome will not be available for the Giants-Vikings game on Monday or Tuesday. We are currently exploring alternatives to play the game Monday night at the University of Minnesota stadium or another domed NFL stadium. We will continue provide information as it becomes available.