Competitors for the open bullpen slot

scenario

Who do you think wins the 7th bullpen slot, if there is one?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Which reliever makes the pen...

• Daniel Cabrera
    • Sergio Santos
    • Dan Hudson
    • Jhonny Nunez
    • Freddy Dolsi
    • Brandon Hynick
    • Carlos Torres
    • Clevelan Santeliz
    • Someone not currently with the team
    • No one - no 7th man will be taken

From Saturday notes in the Trib by Mark Gonzalez...

Guillen watched Daniel Cabrera closely, while pitching coach Don Cooper observed left-hander Erick Threets and Sergio Santos. Santos, who was an infielder as recently as last year, has displayed an uncanny knack for throwing strikes consistently

If Santos is throwing strikes consistently, that is very good news.

Edited by scenario

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 09:04 PM)
From Saturday notes in the Trib by Mark Gonzalez...

Guillen watched Daniel Cabrera closely, while pitching coach Don Cooper observed left-hander Erick Threets and Sergio Santos. Santos, who was an infielder as recently as last year, has displayed an uncanny knack for throwing strikes consistently

If Santos is throwing strikes consistently, that is very good news.

If Santos can throw strikes, he will be on this team.

Here's a thought... with the only LOOGY names being thrown around being Williams and Threets, who aren't exactly great in terms of track record... I think there's an outside chance that Charlie Leesman pulls a Boone Logan and slides in there. That is, if Williams and Threets both struggle.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 04:51 PM)
Do we even have any lefties like that, aside from those two?

There's some interesting lefty's who are out of options, who'll hit waivers if they don't make the their respective teams. Renyel Pinto, Jeremy Sowers, Sean Henn, Pat Mitsch (i love his curveball), Doug Slaten. I think Slaten and Mitch are plausible options. I don't see Pinto and Sowers being exposed just yet.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 08:07 PM)
Nah, but i've been harping on him for a while. That's probably where you got the name.

I know who he is but IIRC there were a bunch of MLBTradeRumors blurbs about him possibly being moved, and I thought we were one of those interested teams. Guess not.

Maybe I'm thinking of the guy that got traded to the Astros, Matt Lindstrom.

Eh, doesn't matter. We can get Pinto if we want him. I think we'll stick with Williams though, good ST or not.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 09:06 PM)
Weren't we rumored to be interested in Pinto at some point this offseason? Or am I just making s*** up again?

If he's finally healthy, I'd rather try to see if the Marlins would be willing to ship off Tankersley on the cheap

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 06:24 PM)
There's some interesting lefty's who are out of options, who'll hit waivers if they don't make the their respective teams. Renyel Pinto, Jeremy Sowers, Sean Henn, Pat Mitsch (i love his curveball), Doug Slaten. I think Slaten and Mitch are plausible options. I don't see Pinto and Sowers being exposed just yet.

And I have to imagine at least one of those guys will be someone who get squeezed at the end.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
Santos struck out the side in his one inning of the first s.t. game... giving up one hit in the process.

Nice first outing.

His breaking snuff has some great snap on it. This is incredibly encouraging for a fastball dominant pitcher.

I doubt Santos would clear waivers, I'm pretty sure he'd get picked up by someone.

Omogrosso and Harrell struggled, but neither one of them was being seriously considered for the pen anyway. Harrell will get in starter innings in Charlotte, after only playing less than half a season in AAA... and Omogrosso needs to prove he's intact from his injury.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were 2 open bullpen spots, if the sox could get Linebrink to waive his NTC to go to the Cubs. The Sox may not have a better chance of unloading Linebrink with the Cubs in dire need of an experienced bullpen arm with Guzman likely going down. It wouldn't have to be for much talent wise, as getting rid of the $10 mill. owed Linebrink would be well worth it.

The sox can't and shouldn't count on Linebrink to give them much.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Mar 6, 2010 -> 07:44 AM)
I wouldn't be surprised if there were 2 open bullpen spots, if the sox could get Linebrink to waive his NTC to go to the Cubs. The Sox may not have a better chance of unloading Linebrink with the Cubs in dire need of an experienced bullpen arm with Guzman likely going down. It wouldn't have to be for much talent wise, as getting rid of the $10 mill. owed Linebrink would be well worth it.

The sox can't and shouldn't count on Linebrink to give them much.

Linebrink had a 2.37 ERA the first half of 2008 then got hurt. He had a 1.93 ERA the first half of 2009 then lost location and confidence. At least it wasn't physical. There is reason to believe he's not as worthless as some are making him out to be. I think he could have a big year. I wouldn't trade him just to free up money that may or may not be used or to give a guy who just became a pitcher a prominent role in the bullpen just because he struck out the side in an early spring training game. Guys like Santos who played winter ball, are going to be way ahead of everyone else early. Be careful what you wish for.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 6, 2010 -> 07:55 AM)
Linebrink had a 2.37 ERA the first half of 2008 then got hurt. He had a 1.93 ERA the first half of 2009 then lost location and confidence. At least it wasn't physical. There is reason to believe he's not as worthless as some are making him out to be. I think he could have a big year. I wouldn't trade him just to free up money that may or may not be used or to give a guy who just became a pitcher a prominent role in the bullpen just because he struck out the side in an early spring training game. Guys like Santos who played winter ball, are going to be way ahead of everyone else early. Be careful what you wish for.

Im pretty sure it was posted that his half to half struggles have gone back to his Milwaukee/Padres days. You just cannot trust the guy to have a full good season, and it drives everyone nutty.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Mar 6, 2010 -> 09:23 AM)
I know it's early but I think we can eliminate Dolsi and Cabrera from the list to make the team in April......................

they're basically the same pitcher really, two power righties with no sense of control

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 6, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)

I know Linebrink has had good 1st halfs in recent years. And he likely will be around. But his contract could be a big albatross going forward--esp. going into 2011, with them not being able to afford both Jenks and Putz. The sox could be looking at an ineffective Linebrink and his $5 mill. and deciding between an expensive Jenks or a risky Putz. Hudson could fill Linebrink's role at a fraction of the cost this year, and the sox could then afford both Jenks and Putz next.

I wouldn't part with Linebrink unless one of Hynick, Torres, or Marquez really stepped up to take the long man spot, to go along with Hudson in short relief. Santos isn't the answer and needs more time to develop as a pitcher. He's not going to get that unless he's in AAA-after being exposed to waivers. Cabrera can't solve his control problems in one spring.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Mar 6, 2010 -> 11:35 AM)
Santos isn't the answer and needs more time to develop as a pitcher.

I think it's a bit too soon to say that. One of the advantages of having a deep rotation and a kid like Hudson is that it gives you the chance to take a gamble on at least one spot for the pen. IF dealing Linebrink frees up money, or brings some small improvement to the team, then you do it. Especially, if Santos' newly found control is for real.