Oney Resigns; Tweets cause Sox soap opera

Marty34

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
What exactly were the things he said on twitter that caused this?

one was when he said the sox should resign aj and the other was what he said about cora. it was those two things and thats what the sox dont want, talking sox business

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 11:19 AM)
Ozney is actually a pretty good prospect from what I hear.

He's a stud actually. The best of Ozzie's kids by far. I've heard mid to late 1st round talent potentially. If he fell to the second round (or possibly compensation).. I would love for the sox to nab him.

If we were Cub fans, this would be a perfect thread to discuss Lou and Hendry's relationship or Bradley and Hendry's relationship. But we're not Cub fans - we're White Sox fans. Thus, this has no relevance to our success this year so I think the thread should be deleted.

I love Cowley's latest tweet. His story of Ozzie being pissed because KW "fired" Oney aparently was all BS, but instead of admitting it, he justs says Ozzie speaks life goes on. Maybe he should take his own advise and "tap out."

Ozzie and KW will work it out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
I love Cowley's latest tweet. His story of Ozzie being pissed because KW "fired" Oney aparently was all BS, but instead of admitting it, he justs says Ozzie speaks life goes on. Maybe he should take his own advise and "tap out."

Didn't Cowley start this whole thing by writing the article about Oney being dangerous in the Sun-Times?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
He's a stud actually. The best of Ozzie's kids by far. I've heard mid to late 1st round talent potentially. If he fell to the second round (or possibly compensation).. I would love for the sox to nab him.

Thats what I thought I heard. If he's as good as hyped, draft him in the compensation or 2nd round.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
If we were Cub fans, this would be a perfect thread to discuss Lou and Hendry's relationship or Bradley and Hendry's relationship. But we're not Cub fans - we're White Sox fans. Thus, this has no relevance to our success this year so I think the thread should be deleted.

If we were Cub fans.....

we'd be drinking beer and ignoring bad baseball.

What is interesting in this story is how technology has changed how we complain about an employer. A couple beers after work, spouting off how your boss sucks was rarely a problem. Now, everyone has a bullhorn.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 08:15 AM)
If we were Cub fans.....

we'd be drinking beer and ignoring bad baseball.

I don't see why all of the discourse about this "story." Do we as a readership need to give a rat's ass about the White Sox manager's son who can't comply with what the employer wants? It comes to a point where I just care about the facts presented in articles and not some writer's opinion about something that is meaningless to a team. Jenks' health is a lot more important than Oney Guillen or Kenny Williams, Jr.

I suppose I will never understand what objective and good journalism is. Or what makes something "newsworthy."

QUOTE (The Beast @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)
I don't see why all of the discourse about this "story." Do we as a readership need to give a rat's ass about the White Sox manager's son who can't comply with what the employer wants? It comes to a point where I just care about the facts presented in articles and not some writer's opinion about something that is meaningless to a team. Jenks' health is a lot more important than Oney Guillen or Kenny Williams, Jr.

I suppose I will never understand what objective and good journalism is. Or what makes something "newsworthy."

In a place that is hyperfocused on the White Sox, it is all newsworthy.

I don't think Oney has any effect with the on field performance. His tweets mean crap, but its just an immature kid who has had everything handed to him in life feeling entitled again. Here's a guy who went 11-96 in rookie ball with 25 k's and he got promoted, yet he has the nerve to pop off about the organization who promoted him and about other players' performance or lack thereof. Its amazing. Another thing to keep in mind is if the Sox let Oney pop off about everything on Twitter whats going to stop any of the rest of the White Sox employees from blasting the organization every time they feel like it publicly?

I know Ranger probably really couldn't be straight about it if he really knew, and if he asked, he probably wouldn't be given straight answers, but I would bet there have been more than a couple of players who have passed through the White Sox during Ozzie's time that aren't exactly thrilled his grown sons are front and center for a lot of things, like in the dugout, in the clubhouse, with the team on the road.

If Oney is this great baseball mind, let him prove it with some hard work. I don't think he has the work ethic that will lead to any kind of success in baseball from a front office position. He wants to be the male Kim Kardasian.

Oney being promoted is kind of misleading. The guy was filler material for a week at a higher level because of the moves due to the expansion of the 40 man roster. That's kinda like saying a guy who plays in a spring training game was a major leaguer because he was called over from the minor league camp for an AB or IP.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
Oney being promoted is kind of misleading. The guy was filler material for a week at a higher level because of the moves due to the expansion of the 40 man roster. That's kinda like saying a guy who plays in a spring training game was a major leaguer because he was called over from the minor league camp for an AB or IP.

After 11-96 in rookie ball,he did get to play A ball. I'm sure if you or I happened to be taken in the 36th round by the Sox and did that, we would be told to go home. I just fail to see why he considers himself an expert and guys who didn't play pro ball, non experts. Oney really had no business getting paid to play baseball.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 01:34 PM)
After 11-96 in rookie ball,he did get to play A ball. I'm sure if you or I happened to be taken in the 36th round by the Sox and did that, we would be told to go home. I just fail to see why he considers himself an expert and guys who didn't play pro ball, non experts. Oney really had no business getting paid to play baseball.

Actually it seems like a pretty regular thing at the end of the season. Teams don't want to mess with their mainstays, so garbage players are moved around to fill roster spots.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
I don't think Oney has any effect with the on field performance. His tweets mean crap, but its just an immature kid who has had everything handed to him in life feeling entitled again. Here's a guy who went 11-96 in rookie ball with 25 k's and he got promoted, yet he has the nerve to pop off about the organization who promoted him and about other players' performance or lack thereof. Its amazing. Another thing to keep in mind is if the Sox let Oney pop off about everything on Twitter whats going to stop any of the rest of the White Sox employees from blasting the organization every time they feel like it publicly?

I know Ranger probably really couldn't be straight about it if he really knew, and if he asked, he probably wouldn't be given straight answers, but I would bet there have been more than a couple of players who have passed through the White Sox during Ozzie's time that aren't exactly thrilled his grown sons are front and center for a lot of things, like in the dugout, in the clubhouse, with the team on the road.

If Oney is this great baseball mind, let him prove it with some hard work. I don't think he has the work ethic that will lead to any kind of success in baseball from a front office position. He wants to be the male Kim Kardasian.

I've always thought the same thing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 01:46 AM)
Well for the Ozzie Haters, this could be opening the door. Supposedly you don't mess with his kids, and the Sox pretty much just fired one.
Why is criticism and opinion now equated with hate? What purpose does it serve except to satisy some anger and stifle debate? Ozzie deserves his share of criticism. To me his act grew old a long time ago. His spoiled petulant son is not helping matters. Did you hear him on the Score today? This isn't going away.