Thank You White Sox

WSoxMatt

So as none of you know, on January 3rd, 2010, my house burned down and my wife, kids and I lost 99% of our stuff...Included was at least 12 old felt pennants dating from the 2000's back to the 40's, old time pictures dating back to the Opening of OLD Comiskey Park, my 1959 World Series Program, my 2005 World Series Program, my 2005 World Series ticket stub, 2003 All-Star game tickets, 1983 All Star game Program, just TONS of white Sox stuff in general, signed balls by Thomas, Thome, bobble heads, signed Harold Baines photo, countless pics of Old Comiskey, it sucked...but I realized that it was just stuff, while I thought that stuff was the most important stuff in the world, it didnt matter to me...My kids toys, my wife's clothes, all of that was a bigger deal to lose to me...

A friend of mine wrote a letter to the White Sox Organization saying that he was a Cub fan but was devastated for me and my losses, and apparently he said anything that can help rebuild my collection would be appreciated...He told me he wrote this but I didnt expect anything, Im sure the White Sox hear stories like this 10x a day and cant help everyone out that says they had a bunch of stuff...

But I received a package the other day from the Chicago White Sox, a pretty beat up box, but none the less, from the White Sox...I was very intrigued...Inside was a letter from Christine O'Reilly, Senior Director of Community Relations, explaining how she received this letter from my friend..She wrote" I have enclosed a few White Sox gifts in hopes that this will inspire you to start your collection again. I hope that these bring you some comfort and joy during this difficult time." So inside the package were the following:

-Jermaine Dye and Paul Konerko figurine of their 300th HRs that looks like was a gift to the season ticket holders

-Signed Ozzie Guillen Sox Hat

-Autographed AJ Pierzynski baseball with 8 x 10 photo

-Autographed Matt Thornton baseball with 8 x 10 photo

-Blown up SI cover of my avatar, Mark Buehrle's SI cover after the perfect game

Now I know alot of you are probably thinking, yea big deal, I have more impressive things than those...but what amazes me is the fact that the organization took time to read my buddy's letter, gather up things for my family and I, and try to feed our passion (White Sox Baseball) during the most difficult times in our lives...

I share my story to confirm what we already know, the Chicago White Sox are a Top Notch organization who really do care for their fans, and I cant thank them enough for this gesture on their behalf!!

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)
So as none of you know, on January 3rd, 2010, my house burned down and my wife, kids and I lost 99% of our stuff...Included was at least 12 old felt pennants dating from the 2000's back to the 40's, old time pictures dating back to the Opening of OLD Comiskey Park, my 1959 World Series Program, my 2005 World Series Program, my 2005 World Series ticket stub, 2003 All-Star game tickets, 1983 All Star game Program, just TONS of white Sox stuff in general, signed balls by Thomas, Thome, bobble heads, signed Harold Baines photo, countless pics of Old Comiskey, it sucked...but I realized that it was just stuff, while I thought that stuff was the most important stuff in the world, it didnt matter to me...My kids toys, my wife's clothes, all of that was a bigger deal to lose to me...

A friend of mine wrote a letter to the White Sox Organization saying that he was a Cub fan but was devastated for me and my losses, and apparently he said anything that can help rebuild my collection would be appreciated...He told me he wrote this but I didnt expect anything, Im sure the White Sox hear stories like this 10x a day and cant help everyone out that says they had a bunch of stuff...

But I received a package the other day from the Chicago White Sox, a pretty beat up box, but none the less, from the White Sox...I was very intrigued...Inside was a letter from Christine O'Reilly, Senior Director of Community Relations, explaining how she received this letter from my friend..She wrote" I have enclosed a few White Sox gifts in hopes that this will inspire you to start your collection again. I hope that these bring you some comfort and joy during this difficult time." So inside the package were the following:

-Jermaine Dye and Paul Konerko figurine of their 300th HRs that looks like was a gift to the season ticket holders

Now I know alot of you are probably thinking, yea big deal, I have more impressive things than those...but what amazes me is the fact that the organization took time to read my buddy's letter, gather up things for my family and I, and try to feed our passion (White Sox Baseball) during the most difficult times in our lives...

I share my story to confirm what we already know, the Chicago White Sox are a Top Notch organization who really do care for their fans, and I cant thank them enough for this gesture on their behalf!!

Holy s***! I thought this was going to be something corny. Really, really sorry about that happening to you. At least nobody was hurt, which is the most important thing. And, yeah, that was extremely classy of the organization to do something like that for you. Good luck, bro.

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)

thats awesome. i would write a letter to christine telling her thank you and how much you appreciate. :gosoxretro:

Matt, I am sorry to hear about what happened to you and your family, sounds like you have an awesome support network that is helping you through this hard time. Best of luck going forward! It's also good to hear that the White Sox gave you somethings and took the time to help a fan. I know that during a hard time sometimes little things are the nicest and most meaningful things.

Cool story, but sorry you had to go through that. Also, that was really great of your friend.

I like when organizations do this and aren't sending out press releases with it like "Look how nice we are"

Props to the White Sox for showing that they care.

It's always nice to hear about organizations doing things like that for fans. Plus, it was a great gesture by your friend to write that letter. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I couldn't imagine what you and your family are going through.

the sox are good like that. I remember that they did something big on Oprah a while ago too, for some season ticket holder who did something nice too.

my wife's school was doing a "baseball" unit and her kids wrote the sox. they wrote back with a bunch of handouts and items for the kids to keep. (other teams did too, except the Cubs) it made their day.

sorry to hear about your loss.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)
Brooks Boyer and his team are the best at what they do, bar none.

Defiantly, Brooks is awesome I have reached out to him on a couple of occasion for help with school projects and hes always happy to help. He doesn't even know me.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
Defiantly, Brooks is awesome I have reached out to him on a couple of occasion for help with school projects and hes always happy to help. He doesn't even know me.

I wasn't aware that Boyer had an issue with defiance.

I'm glad he finally came around.

Edited by BigSqwert

I was married and have four kids so I know how you can accumulate a lot of stuff, much of which is VERY special. I, myself have a really extensive record collection and several thousand White Sox baseball cards (many pretty old). If, I lost that stuff it would hurt, but like you said it's just stuff. Thankfully, you and your family are alright!!

This was very heartwarming to read, what your friend and the White Sox did. Waaaay cool. :gosox3:

My old man past away last July from cancer. My moms friends threw her a benefit to try and keep her in her house. One of her friends contacted the Sox to see if they could donate anything for the raffle. They sent 4 tickets per game for 4 games. This organization will always hold a special place in my heart on a very personal level.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
Wow, sorry about your loss, I've lost all of my possessions in a fire before and I know how devastating it can be.

Would you be interested in the Buehrle perfect game poster that the Sox sent me?

If you're looking to give it a good new home sure!

Thanks guys, and like many of you have said...I love this organization...Im 35 going on 36, meaning I was born in 1974...I remember watching games dating back to 1979, and of course getting good grades and going to school meant free Sox tickets as well...Ive loved this team for 30 years now, and what they have done for me, its just awesome...simply said awesome...we were blown away for sure!