HAWKS WIN! HAWKS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 29, 2010 -> 10:08 PM)
Oh, I think it's funny to see Torchetti's big egg head back there. :lol:

"He's da coach, he always take me off da ice too much". :lolhitting

I am wearing my K's jersey to their open practice next year. Maybe I will even wear the bag over my head... as long as they don't sign Andre.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 29, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)
Kopecky has had a great playoff (when he has played)

The refs were brutal tonight and I thought the Hawks seemed to outplay the Flyers.

Kane was nonexistant.

Great game.

I agree on all points, except I'd change "great game" to "great final score".

It was nice to steal a game where you give up 5 goals, get zero powerplays, and get nothing from your top line.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

I thought the best postgame quote on Versus was from one of the Hawks who said that was a long time practicing this time of year, long time since the last game. He mentioned that as a reason for maybe the sloppy game. I would suspect everybody will be back on top of their games for Game Two. Glad the Hawks won. 0-1 would have put a lot of pressure on the locals for Game Two. They still got to win, but they shouldn't be tight or anything.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2010 -> 10:47 PM)
Yes. Yes. Yes.

I thought the best postgame quote on Versus was from one of the Hawks who said that was a long time practicing this time of year, long time since the last game. He mentioned that as a reason for maybe the sloppy game. I would suspect everybody will be back on top of their games for Game Two. Glad the Hawks won. 0-1 would have put a lot of pressure on the locals for Game Two. They still got to win, but they shouldn't be tight or anything.

Eh, this was a team that had won three out of four playoff series after losing their first game at home. I wouldn't have been that worried. Happy? No. Worried? Not a chance.

I know, but in the Finals, you get home field, home ice, and lose Game One you are flirting with disaster.

In the world of sports cliches, the Flyers would have been playing with the house's money trying to steal Game Two and home ice would have shifted.

I realize the Hawks have been road warriors this postseason though.

Amazing game. The UC was absolutely nuts. People give crap to Hossa for not scoring a lot of points, yet no one talks about how non-existent Kane has been, especially today. At least if Hossa isn't scoring, he's forcing turnovers, keeping the puck alive in the offensive zone, back-checking and he's getting teammates involved.

Sopel got far too much ice time for my liking as well. The defense in general was pretty bad. Bad positioning, failure to handle and pass the puck in the defensive zone, and just too many opportunities in the slot for Philly. It was great to steal one playing the way we did.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 30, 2010 -> 01:20 AM)
How loud was the United Center? Did the fans ever lose faith in this one? Was it wild throughout? Do people cuss out Hossa?

The UC was insanely loud. NHL.com had an article with some decibel stats. The highest it reached was 121 dB, which was during the anthem. It was ridiulously loud. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=530503

Fans never seemed to lose faith. There was a great atmosphere throughout the game. Some frustrating moments, but they were loud throughout.

And I didn't hear anyone say anything bad about Hossa. Kane and Sopel on the other hand...

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)
I know, but in the Finals, you get home field, home ice, and lose Game One you are flirting with disaster.

In the world of sports cliches, the Flyers would have been playing with the house's money trying to steal Game Two and home ice would have shifted.

I realize the Hawks have been road warriors this postseason though.

At the end of the day the Hawks gave up five goals because they played defense like crap, not because of something Philly did really well. That is easily fixable. I wouldn't be surprised to see a very low goal total by the Flyers on Sunday.

Philly has a controversy in goal and the Hawks are set. The Flyers gambled on pulling Leighton and I think shaking his confidence will come back and haunt them. I'm guessing he plays a little tighter wondering if he'll get pulled after giving up a goal or two.

Or it's wishful thinking. :lol:

QUOTE (Tex @ May 31, 2010 -> 08:03 AM)
Philly has a controversy in goal and the Hawks are set. The Flyers gambled on pulling Leighton and I think shaking his confidence will come back and haunt them. I'm guessing he plays a little tighter wondering if he'll get pulled after giving up a goal or two.

Or it's wishful thinking. :lol:

It's not like he should be a super-confident guy anyway. Career minor-leaguer, waived 5 times, looked like a frightened deer in the biggest game of his career.

If the Toews/Kane/Byfuglien line shows up at all tonight, we should see Boucher replace Leighton again.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 31, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
The rampant overconfidence among what seems to be the majority of Hawks fans about this series might actually have me even more nervous than the Flyers. I hope the Hawks aren't buying into this.

1) I highly doubt the players are overconfident.

2) I don't think the majority of Hawks fans are overconfident. There may be a vocal minority of sports radio caller dopes popping off, but I think most Hawks fans understand that to get to the Finals both teams have to be playing well. I think Hawks fans are confident that if both teams play to their capabilities, the Hawks are the better team. They only have to be one game better, and I think we all believe they are. As someone who remembers 1971 all too clearly, I know the better team does not always win.

I really hope Burish is in the press box today for Ladd. No way you can take Kopecky out (he is far superior as is to Burish) and obviously we are stronger when Ladd is on the ice. Burish really brings nothing to the team unless you count stupidity. He gets horrible penalties, sucks on offense, isn't a great defender. All he does is agitate and that is pretty useless in the Stanley Cup Finals especially against such a physical team.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 31, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)
It's not like he should be a super-confident guy anyway. Career minor-leaguer, waived 5 times, looked like a frightened deer in the biggest game of his career.

If the Toews/Kane/Byfuglien line shows up at all tonight, we should see Boucher replace Leighton again.

He was flying pretty high for a couple weeks and probably should have been. This probably dropped him down to earth. I am a little surprised he's getting the start tonight. I suspect if he gives up three in the first, he would be done. And you are correct they have to show up tonight. I thought the Hawk depth was doing to be the difference, I am suprised that the top line was shut down so completely.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 31, 2010 -> 08:24 AM)

That honestly might be good for the Flyers going forward. Boucher is the much better goalie, though I still don't think he is 100%.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 31, 2010 -> 10:35 AM)
I really hope Burish is in the press box today for Ladd. No way you can take Kopecky out (he is far superior as is to Burish) and obviously we are stronger when Ladd is on the ice. Burish really brings nothing to the team unless you count stupidity. He gets horrible penalties, sucks on offense, isn't a great defender. All he does is agitate and that is pretty useless in the Stanley Cup Finals especially against such a physical team.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but for the Badger fans.. the Hawks are what 11-0 or 11-1 with Burish in the line-up? I don't think that is just coincidence. Again.. not agreeing or disagreeing.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 31, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
Not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but for the Badger fans.. the Hawks are what 11-0 or 11-1 with Burish in the line-up? I don't think that is just coincidence. Again.. not agreeing or disagreeing.

I do think there is some legitimacy to stats like that, but when the guy averages six minutes per game, it makes it tougher. But there are other things that his presence just being on the bench might have. Still, though not a fan haha, but it's moot since Ladd is out again for Game Two.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 31, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
The rampant overconfidence among what seems to be the majority of Hawks fans about this series might actually have me even more nervous than the Flyers. I hope the Hawks aren't buying into this.

There is no way this team is overconfident after game one. The defense and the top line were as bad as they have been in the entire playoffs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
There is no way this team is overconfident after game one. The defense and the top line were as bad as they have been in the entire playoffs.

Hopefully someone somewhere has a tape of Vancoiver game one. THAT was the worst playoff game for the 'Hawks. If they get a little overconfident, pop that bad boy in a tv somewhere.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 31, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
Hopefully someone somewhere has a tape of Vancoiver game one. THAT was the worst playoff game for the 'Hawks. If they get a little overconfident, pop that bad boy in a tv somewhere.

The whole team was awful that game. This game at least the 2-3-4 lines were clicking like nobodies business