HAWKS WIN! HAWKS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Carcillo move really backfired on Philly and actually got the Hawks to be more physical early.

Niemi again won that game. Was not a fan of sitting back in the third as the Flyers really took it to the Hawks.

Hossa is having a really good series as is Dave Bolland.

The funny thing was Sopel ran the PP for vancouer when they were in the Finals, I am not sure where that abiiliy went to. He did get beat on the boiuncing puck once but the guy gives up his body like none other.

Kane being benched for Eager and Eager scoring was the talk on the radio this morning.....

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
Was it Eager who was yelling at him on the benches that it was his best hit of the season?

Burish. He said it was the first good hit he had all season.

Apparently Philly thought they could out muscle the Hawks with one goon who isnt even very big. I love how he was the talk of the pregame and intermission reports yet the only damage he did was to his own player.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
Burish. He said it was the first good hit he had all season.

Apparently Philly thought they could out muscle the Hawks with one goon who isnt even very big. I love how he was the talk of the pregame and intermission reports yet the only damage he did was to his own player.

Ben Eager is pretty underrated. I actually wonder how good he and Versteeg would be if they played along side some more offensively minded talent.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
Ben Eager is pretty underrated. I actually wonder how good he and Versteeg would be if they played along side some more offensively minded talent.

I don't think Eager is underrated at all. He frustrates the hell out of me offensively most of the time. Versteeg on the other hand, could be a pretty damn good scorer. We saw it last year.

Kris Versteeg was the worst player on the ice last night (EDIT: For the Hawks... clearly Carcillo wins that one in a landslide) and it wasn't close. His play was inexcusable, he seemed to have no offensive awareness whatsoever. I've never seen a player make more moves just before gaining the zone as I did him last night. He single-handedly caused at least 5 offsides calls on good rushes by stuttering just prior to the blueline.

Thank you for bringing him up, because I meant to get on him in here last night.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
I don't think Eager is underrated at all. He frustrates the hell out of me offensively most of the time. Versteeg on the other hand, could be a pretty damn good scorer. We saw it last year.

Eager is in the NHL to lay the wood on people. Nothing more.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
He does have a nice wrister though...if he scores that's usually how he does it. He's rarely in a shooting lane though.

Eh. It was a shot that Leighton most certainly should have stopped.

QUOTE (Drew @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 06:04 AM)
They have also taken two games when officials have done whatever they could to help Philly out. When ESPN is calling out the lopsided calls in game on where Philly wasn't whistled for anything, it must be bad.

And tonight—seriously, how do you miss Pronger's cross-check on Toews after the whistle when you are the referee and standing three feet from it?

There is physical play and there is dirty play, and Philly is the dirtiest team I've seen in a while.

But hey, two more wins.

meh, st. louis.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
Truth.

And the missed cross-checking calls on Pronger is getting ridiculous. Its like there is a whole different rule set for him.

Someone on the radio pointed out that when Pronger cross-checks, he turns his hands over to try to make it look like he's pushing with his gloves. Sad that refs are dumb enough to get fooled by that.

And yeah, the Blues really turned up the goonery when they changed head coaches last year.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
He does have a nice wrister though...if he scores that's usually how he does it. He's rarely in a shooting lane though.

He was a former 1st round pick for a reason (overdraft or not). I would say he is pretty much a bust now, but the guy does flash some talent.

You stay classy Chris Pronger... I can only imagine where Eager told you to stick that puck.

With Stealing and Taunting, Chris Pronger Leads By Example

With stealing and taunting, Chris Pronger leads by example

By Greg Wyshynski

To paraphrase a classic line from the movie "Office Space," it's not that Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Chris Pronger(notes) is a malevolent jerk — it's that he just doesn't care.

Part of Pronger's makeup as a leader is being the agitator-in-chief for his team, and the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals are no exception. Witness Pronger here after Monday night's 2-1 Game 2 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks, repeating his violation of hockey protocol from Game 1 in which he collected the game puck in defeat to keep this one-of-a-kind memento away from his rivals:

The Edmonton Journal's You Bet blog asked, "How childish can you be?" National Post columnist Bruce Arthur wrote via Twitter: "LOVE CBC's footage of Chris Pronger stealing the pucks at the end of both games. He is truly a comprehensive [expletive]."

But Pronger wasn't done yet — with the Blackhawks or his friends in the media.

Ex-Flyer Ben Eager(notes), who scored the game-winning goal for the Blackhawks in Game 2, engaged Pronger as they left the ice. What did Eager say to him? "Nothing, really. Just a little postgame chat," said Eager. "He's been picking the pucks up after the game, and I just told him he can keep it."

No doubt a little more colorfully than Eager's letting on. Pronger's response? Shooting a Blackhawks souvenir towel at him, as they both earned misconduct penalties at the end of the game.

Pronger was asked about both incidents in the locker room by a writer from the DelCo Times and by Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly, who had the following transcript of the snippy exchange:

What happened?

"I couldn't hear him, I don't speak gibberish," said Pronger, who picked up a misconduct penalty at the very end and got into it with Eager.

Where's the puck, Pronger was asked.

"It's in the garbage," Pronger replied. "Where it belongs."

You shot a towel at Eager when he complained?

"So what," Pronger replied.

You're collecting pucks now?

"Why not? What's wrong? It's sitting there. What else is gonna happen to it? It's sitting there. Sure, why not. You got a problem with that?"

Are you gonna sell it on eBay?

"I don't know. Apparently, it got him upset. So I guess it worked, didn't it? It's too bad. I guess little things amuse little minds."

Boy that last line could be psychoanalyzed for the entirety of the offseason with regard to Pronger ...

There's always been a purity to Pronger's dirtiness, whether he was elbowing his way to a suspension or acrimoniously leaving Edmonton on a trade demand or sparring with the media. He's arguably hockey's most hated player, but never actively sought the title. There's never been a campaign to rehabilitate his behavior on the ice, like the one currently trying to soften the game of Alex Ovechkin(notes); and there's never been an effort from the NHL to change his attitude, like the padded room Gary Bettman sent Sean Avery to find himself in.

Pronger is hockey's answer to Larry David from "Curb Your Enthusiam": Snide and provocative; jovial and beloved (by the ones he's with); accomplished and renowned; and completely singular in purpose, which is to do whatever Chris Pronger wants to do no matter what the collateral damage.

The rest of us saw a 35-year-old man-child who acted crassly and dishonorably in defeat. But his teammates saw a leader who not only has dominated Chicago's top players in the series while logging huge ice time, but a player attempting to shift momentum through gamesmanship and absorbing the scrutiny of the media with his team down 2-0.

Pronger cares in the sense that it's all calculated. But other than that, he couldn't care less. Which is what makes him so good at what he does.