The Teahen's D At Third thread

Buehrlesque

Today it looked like a few balls ate him up, and he made some bad decisions on others, especially the run-scoring ground out by Jeter. In general he has looked relatively uncomfortable there so far this season- tentative on charging balls, playing in between hops, double clutching on throws to first. (I will say he has looked better than I expected on fielding bunts.)

Do you think his glove is good enough to play at 3B all year? He'll never be a gold glover, obviously, but can he get by? Or, with a so so bat and so so to below average glove, will he eventually need to be moved?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 1, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
Teahan looks to be a below average (not horrible) 3rd baseman defensively. If he can hit the way the Sox seem to think he can, he'll be alright as the Sox starting 3rd baseman. If he hits to his career averages, he will be a liability as the starting 3B.

I guess maybe I could/should have made this a poll:

A. His glove is fine.

B. Teahen's bat carries his so-so glove.

C. Neither his bat nor his glove is good enough. He has to be moved.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 1, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
Teahen doesn't look comfortable at third. His footwork is really bad, and he seems slow in his decision-making. I'm not comfortable with him being the 3rd baseman for the next three seasons.

In fairness, he doesn't look comfortable doing much of anything...

According to +/-, Teahen has been the 32nd best 3B this season.

I do not believe there is a minimum games played requirement yet, so there has to be quite a few "eligible" players. Bill's site will not show them in list form past the top ten; but for what it's worth everyone I checked on ranked higher than 32nd.

To my eye he has been terrible, and according to +/- he is the worst.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ May 2, 2010 -> 12:52 PM)

I do not believe there is a minimum games played requirement yet, so there has to be quite a few "eligible" players. Bill's site will not show them in list form past the top ten; but for what it's worth everyone I checked on ranked higher than 32nd.

He has been bad. He makes Gordon B look like Brooks Robinson.

If we ever have to move Teahan to LF down the line, I wonder if we can get by like that. Sure, that's a weak bat to have in LF, but depending on the roster it might be passable. Between him and Rios, respectively at LF and CF, we could be getting some 37 HR yearly combined from those two positions.

Maybe. I suppose his versatility is a reason for the contract. And our extreme need for LH bats

Edited by Princess Dye

Based on UZR...

Of the 24 players that had at least 800 innings at 3b last year Beckham (1st year) was ranked 14 and Teahen was ranked 21 (5th year)

This year based on at least 150 innings played hes ranked 29/30 at 3b ... just ahead of Jhonny Peralta.

The top players KW could have signed:

So far...

Adrian Beltre (9M/1, 5M option) is ranked 6th

Miguel Tejada (6M/1) is ranked 7th

Teahen currently has a 12.5M/3 contract (2.25M this year) saving around 4M (~66%) compared to Tejada.

Simply put, you get what you paid for.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ May 2, 2010 -> 07:52 AM)

I guess he's been even worse than I thought defensively. And I thought he was below average.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 2, 2010 -> 09:38 AM)
If we ever have to move Teahan to LF down the line, I wonder if we can get by like that. Sure, that's a weak bat to have in LF, but depending on the roster it might be passable. Between him and Rios, respectively at LF and CF, we could be getting some 37 HR yearly combined from those two positions.

Maybe. I suppose his versatility is a reason for the contract. And our extreme need for LH bats

This team wouldn't know anything about weak bats in LF.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ May 2, 2010 -> 07:52 AM)

The problem with using defensive metrics at this point in the season is that the sample size is not large enough. This tells you nothing about Teahen's skills as a defender. UZR and +/- need far larger sample sizes to truly measure a player's defensive ability. Both have large fluctuations.

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ May 2, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
Based on UZR...

Of the 24 players that had at least 800 innings at 3b last year Beckham (1st year) was ranked 14 and Teahen was ranked 21 (5th year)

This year based on at least 150 innings played hes ranked 29/30 at 3b ... just ahead of Jhonny Peralta.

The top players KW could have signed:

So far...

Adrian Beltre (9M/1, 5M option) is ranked 6th

Miguel Tejada (6M/1) is ranked 7th

Teahen currently has a 12.5M/3 contract (2.25M this year) saving around 4M (~66%) compared to Tejada.

Simply put, you get what you paid for.

Once again, UZR after one month isn't exactly a valid measuring stick.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 2, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
The problem with using defensive metrics at this point in the season is that the sample size is not large enough. This tells you nothing about Teahen's skills as a defender. UZR and +/- need far larger sample sizes to truly measure a player's defensive ability. Both have large fluctuations.

Yup. Teahen's UZR, +/- could look radically different a couple weeks from now. I like the new defensive metrics. But a lot of people have no idea how to utilize them.