The Teahen's D At Third thread

Buehrlesque

Premature evaluation!!! Give Teahen some more time. It's EARLY. He's a great clubhouse guy, does interviews for anyone who asks (even school newspapers) and an all-around good guy with a great sense of humor. You will come to know and love him like many Kansas Citians did with Joe Randa, another under-rated performer at the hot corner who never got the full amount of respect he was due because he played for the Royals and Pirates mostly.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
Premature evaluation!!! Give Teahen some more time. It's EARLY. He's a great clubhouse guy, does interviews for anyone who asks (even school newspapers) and an all-around good guy with a great sense of humor. You will come to know and love him like many Kansas Citians did with Joe Randa, another under-rated performer at the hot corner who never got the full amount of respect he was due because he played for the Royals and Pirates mostly.

I never really saw his defense at 3B much when he was on the Royals. Are you saying that what we've seen of his D at 3B for the Sox so far this year is not indicative of the way he usually plays the position? Or are you saying that because he is such a nice guy we will learn to love him despite his defensive shortcomings? And what can we expect of him as far as offensive production?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)

Not one thing premature about any of these assessments made so far. Teahen is the same player now that he was in KC for the past five years - a poor defending, light-hitting, strikeout machine. "Under-rated performer" could not be a more misused phrase if it's being used to describe Mark Teahen's baseball playing ability. And with all due respect, I could care less if Teahen spends all of his free time helping old ladies cross the street and saving cats stranded in trees. He's not here to win a Mr. Congeniality award. He's here to play third base for our White Sox, and so far he's not doing a very good job of it.

SouthSide, I lived in KC before I moved abroad and have seen him play a lot in person.

I never liked him as a player or prospect....off the field, great "media-friendly" addition, a lot like Joe Borchard, but much more confident in himself.

We'll see 14-18 homers, a good number of doubles, 120 K's, maybe 55-70 RBI's (with our offense as presently comprised)...260 - 275 BA.

Nothing horrible, but his defense makes him a liability on a very good/great/elite team. Still better as an Xavier Nady type that can play multiple positions off the bench, but certainly not a starter that will lead us to the playoffs or be anything more than a complementary component.

We put up with Crede at 725-775 OPS because of his defense and "clutch" hitting, not to mention a bit more overall pop in his bat. Teahen will more or less provide the same (less homers, more walks), but, once again, it's a net negative due to his defense and his lack of 800-950 OPS ability at a corner/power spot on diamond.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
SouthSide, I lived in KC before I moved abroad and have seen him play a lot in person.

I never liked him as a player or prospect....off the field, great "media-friendly" addition, a lot like Joe Borchard, but much more confident in himself.

We'll see 14-18 homers, a good number of doubles, 120 K's, maybe 55-70 RBI's (with our offense as presently comprised)...260 - 275 BA.

Nothing horrible, but his defense makes him a liability on a very good/great/elite team. Still better as an Xavier Nady type that can play multiple positions off the bench, but certainly not a starter that will lead us to the playoffs or be anything more than a complementary component.

We put up with Crede at 725-775 OPS because of his defense and "clutch" hitting, not to mention a bit more overall pop in his bat. Teahen will more or less provide the same (less homers, more walks), but, once again, it's a net negative due to his defense and his lack of 800-950 OPS ability at a corner/power spot on diamond.

Those amount of strikeouts are simply not acceptable for a player who does not hit for power.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 5, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
Not one thing premature about any of these assessments made so far. Teahen is the same player now that he was in KC for the past five years - a poor defending, light-hitting, strikeout machine. "Under-rated performer" could not be a more misused phrase if it's being used to describe Mark Teahen's baseball playing ability. And with all due respect, I could care less if Teahen spends all of his free time helping old ladies cross the street and saving cats stranded in trees. He's not here to win a Mr. Congeniality award. He's here to play third base for our White Sox, and so far he's not doing a very good job of it.

I was being sarcastic in an effort to try to appear positive (since I genuinely have never had anything positive to say about Mark Teahen the 3B, as a person, great guy, one of the best, most personable in the game)...to see my actual thoughts, you'll see I more or less agree with you if you read the next couple of posts in the thread.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 5, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
Those amount of strikeouts are simply not acceptable for a player who does not hit for power.

Agreed.

He's just not the fundamentally sound player you build future Ozzie Ball offenses around with ill-conceived contract extensions that are PREMATURE judgement by KW at best.

Not criminal by KW, but negligent, considering how tight our payroll will be getting in the days and weeks to come.

What's interesting about this whole Mark Teahen situation is that he was brought here with the suggestion that he would become a better player than the one featured in Kansas City these past five years because a.) he'd presumably be playing for a contender for the first time in his career and b.) he wouldn't be bouncing around from position to position anymore, that he'd be able to call one position his home for the forseeable future. So I now wonder if, in the event, this new and improved Teahen never materializes, are the Sox willing to tolerate the one who's been around for the last five years, and now the first six weeks of this season, for the next three years?

I don't think it was just coincidence his old team was dropping bunts on him last night. The guy is just not good with the glove. Hopefully he hits like a lot of people thought he would hit several years ago, or he'll just be another guy will be waiting for his contract to run out.

When does your contract run out, Hawk?

Because it might be a REALLY long season for you, Ozzerooo and KW. Hope you can make it through the remainder of the season!

FWIW, we don't have that many "bad" contracts on our team. Right now, it's limited to Linebrink, Pierre and Teahen. If you want to argue (with someone here), you can also include Peavy, Rios/Konerko (with the start he's having, you can't easily argue that his contract is "bad value") and Buehrle.

I don't really care about Castro, Kotsay, Vizquel, etc., although maybe you start adding their numbers up cumulatively, it's enough to afford Damon/Matsui/Vlad The Impaler.

All water under the bridge now, that ship has sailed.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2010 -> 06:43 PM)

Because it might be a REALLY long season for you, Ozzerooo and KW. Hope you can make it through the remainder of the season!

FWIW, we don't have that many "bad" contracts on our team. Right now, it's limited to Linebrink, Pierre and Teahen. If you want to argue (with someone here), you can also include Peavy, Rios/Konerko (with the start he's having, you can't easily argue that his contract is "bad value") and Buehrle.

I don't really care about Castro, Kotsay, Vizquel, etc., although maybe you start adding their numbers up cumulatively, it's enough to afford Damon/Matsui/Vlad The Impaler.

Peavy, Konerko, and Rios are galaxies away from the type of player Teahen is. I really wish KW didn't sign him to that ridiculous extention, if he signed him to a $9 million contract where he was getting about 3 million per year or something like 2/3/4 each year, that would be much more easier to stomach.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ May 6, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)
Peavy, Konerko, and Rios are galaxies away from the type of player Teahen is. I really wish KW didn't sign him to that ridiculous extention, if he signed him to a $9 million contract where he was getting about 3 million per year or something like 2/3/4 each year, that would be much more easier to stomach.

So that extra 1.7/2.5 million a year is just eating you up inside, huh?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2010 -> 06:43 PM)

Andruw Jones has made Matsui, Thome and Vlad irrelevant. Call it luck or KW really believing in AJ. But the signing has been a total coup to this point.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 6, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)

~$1.17M. The Sox owe Teahen 12.5M over the next 3 years. His 2/3/4 scenario was also an impossibility.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 6, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)

Actually, with how players are being paid nowadays, that extra 1.7/2.5 million could've gone towards signing a quality reliever or even a DH next year or 2 years from now. Or even used to fill out any other need.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2010 -> 01:37 PM)
But, would you really say that you would rather KEEP Andruw Jones (at the same contract numbers he signed with KW) for the rest of the season OR swap him out for Matsui, Thome, Damon, Vlad, Dunn, etc.?

If the players you listed above can be swapped for Jones, and we'd only have them for the rest of the 2010 season, then no. I'd rather keep Jones.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2010 -> 01:37 PM)
But, would you really say that you would rather KEEP Andruw Jones (at the same contract numbers he signed with KW) for the rest of the season OR swap him out for Matsui, Thome, Damon, Vlad, Dunn, etc.?

Am I not understanding this question? Are you asking would I rather Keep AJ at 500 K or swap him for one of those other players? Do I even have to answer this?

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ May 6, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
Actually, with how players are being paid nowadays, that extra 1.7/2.5 million could've gone towards signing a quality reliever or even a DH next year or 2 years from now. Or even used to fill out any other need.

As Kalapse pointed out, my estimates were off. And you're really nitpicking when talking about how a quality reliever or a DH two years from now could be acquired.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 6, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
Andruw Jones has made Matsui, Thome and Vlad irrelevant. Call it luck or KW really believing in AJ. But the signing has been a total coup to this point.

I don't know about that. We could still use one of them as a DH with Jones in the OF.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 6, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
I don't know about that. We could still use one of them as a DH with Jones in the OF.

No kidding. We get rid of two power guys in the lineup this past off season and we're supposed to be content with replacing them with one?