Official 2010 World Cup Thread

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 11:08 AM)
Can't believe they didn't use Fabregas at all.

That sort of game, he is the perfect player to use to thread a pass through, he pretty much has to put up with opposing teams doing that against Arsenal most weeks.

I don't think they needed help threading the pass. They needed someone to finish. Torres for 90 is what they needed.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
And that's probably the end for South Africa, not like I didn't see it coming but I was hoping they'd somehow advance

Yeah it is. I didnt think they would get another point after their opener. Kinda feel bad for their fans.

Almost a must win for Mexico against the French tomorrow. France will get 3 points from South Africa. Mexico needs to get to 4 points before their group finale because I'm sure Uruguay will play for that tie.

I hope Nigeria can pull it off and set up a huge match vs South Korea next week. I dont think Korea will have anything for Argentina.

Should be a good day of soccer tomorrow.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 10:09 PM)
I don't think they needed help threading the pass. They needed someone to finish. Torres for 90 is what they needed.

They still didn't really have any clear cut chances. Sure they had lots of shots on goals, but no chances where you thought, oh man they should have scored there. I would have put Fabregas on for Busquets and played Alonso deeper myself.

They are obviously taking things slowly with Torres as he was injured at the end of the EPL season.

Also so much for my South Africa prediction.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 05:13 PM)
Almost a must win for Mexico against the French tomorrow. France will get 3 points from South Africa. Mexico needs to get to 4 points before their group finale because I'm sure Uruguay will play for that tie.

Yeah, I think Mexico can hang with the French though. Uruguay has no reason to play for a tie in their last game. Their +3 goal differential will likely hold up for 1st if they win or 2nd if they lose. Of course, a tie in the Mexico/France game changes that. I'm hoping RSA is alive with a realistic chance in the final game at least.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 05:22 PM)
They still didn't really have any clear cut chances. Sure they had lots of shots on goals, but no chances where you thought, oh man they should have scored there. I would have put Fabregas on for Busquets and played Alonso deeper myself.

I think Spain's problem was that they didn't look towards goal. They were waiting for a perfect chance instead of just taking a shot. Pique I think had an open shot in the box that went straight at the keeper, they had that rip go off the bar. They had chances, just needed to finish.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 05:22 PM)

They are obviously taking things slowly with Torres as he was injured at the end of the EPL season.

Not a big Mexico fan, but after Henry's handball bulls*** to knock out Ireland France can go f*** themselves. Hope Mexico destroys France.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 05:22 PM)
Spain losing today doesn't help their reputation as WC underachievers...

I don't see Mexico beating France, I predict a 2-1 French win but I would love to be proven wrong.

France can't score 2 goals. They will be lucky to get one and they will go down. France ain't advancing.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
Just saw the replay of the Nigerian red card. He definitely got his spike at the Greek's knee, but he barely even hit him and the two-second delayed reaction by the Greek player is absolutely classic.

And easy red card because he tried to spike him but the reaction was so over the top. Another reason to root against Greece.

Yep the red card was more for the intent than the actual contact, stupid by the Nigerian player to actually do that though, cost his team the game no doubt.

France win tonight if Anelka doesn't play up front.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 04:13 PM)
France is just terrible. I feel sorry for Ireland and the Irish fans.

How could Ireland not advance past this French team?

It's going to be funny to see the meltdown by France over the next few days.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)
And easy red card because he tried to spike him but the reaction was so over the top. Another reason to root against Greece.

I did not realize there were many reasons to cheer against a bankrupt third world country like Greece.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
Because of Henry. And I told you guys France stunk.

Henry or not, Ireland still had lost a leg in France and France sucks. Doesnt say much about Ireland.

Even though a draw sends both Uruguay and Mexico through, if I was Mexico I'd still try to win the game,especially early, so I could avoid playing Argentina in the second round.