NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 08:06 PM)
I think you fools are getting Boers and Bernstein mixed up. Dan Bernstein didn't cover the Bulls, but Terry Boers did. Dan Bernstein blows smoke out of his ass more often than not, and the last time he leaned on his "sources" he "broke" the Kobe to Chicago rumor and guaranteed it.

Guess what, it didn't happen.

Actually Bernstein DID cover the Bulls during the Jordan era. Boers, I believe, covered the Bears. (I remember them telling stories about Boers and the Silverdome)

With regards to the Kobe deal, it almost went down. The sticking point was Deng. The bulls wanted to trade him, but Kobe wouldn't come if they did. So, technically he was right, the last detail just couldnt get done.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 08:08 PM)
Actually Bernstein DID cover the Bulls during the Jordan era. Boers, I believe, covered the Bears. (I remember them telling stories about Boers and the Silverdome)

With regards to the Kobe deal, it almost went down. The sticking point was Deng. The bulls wanted to trade him, but Kobe wouldn't come if they did. So, technically he was right, the last detail just couldnt get done.

The Score carried very little weight when he "covered" the Bulls. He did nothing more than carry a microphone. Boers is the one who has contacts, and people are getting them confused.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 08:13 PM)
The Score carried very little weight when he "covered" the Bulls. He did nothing more than carry a microphone. Boers is the one who has contacts, and people are getting them confused.

Oh, there's not doubt that Boers has more contacts. He's been around forever.

Even if Bernsie did just carry a mic, he did cover them, and therefor has contacts.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
Not questioning his sources, but he is way off base on this opinion.

Man I gotta disagree. They've got very similar games and Wade is basically Miami's point guard (if not in name). He's got a more developed post game than Rose but otherwise they're remarkably similar.

Ehh. I don't think Rose's offensive game is all that similar to Wade's. Rose can't score outside of 19-20 feet. Also, as mentioned, Wade's post game is far superior. On the flip side, Rose is a much better distributor, and I don't think it's close there. The only similarities are they both can handle the ball and are f***ing good.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 08:36 PM)
Cleveland signed Byron Scott (supposedly) which would definitely point to LBJ staying in Cleveland, although I don't see how Cleveland is any better next year.

Nope Shaw said he didn't feel comfortable committing before LBJ, and the Cavs wanted a coach before Lebron went to free agency.

http://twitter.com/spearsnbayahoo

Since when are Rose and Wade drastically different players? They're roughly the same size (both about 6'3" or 6'4" with good bulk), they both have the ball in their hands most of the game, they both do most of their damage on the drive, and neither of them can hit a 3 with any kind of efficiency. That sounds pretty similar to me.

Are they exactly the same player? No, Wade is better at finishing at the rim, gets to the line more and plays better D, while Rose is a better mid-range shooter.

It's not much of a stretch to say that their respective production/efficiency would go down a bit if they had to share the floor since they have most of the same strengths and weaknesses. They're both good so they'd make it work, but it's less than ideal.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 09:23 PM)
Since when are Rose and Wade drastically different players? They're roughly the same size (both about 6'3" or 6'4" with good bulk), they both have the ball in their hands most of the game, they both do most of their damage on the drive, and neither of them can hit a 3 with any kind of efficiency. That sounds pretty similar to me.

Are they exactly the same player? No, Wade is better at finishing at the rim, gets to the line more and plays better D, while Rose is a better mid-range shooter.

It's not much of a stretch to say that their respective production/efficiency would go down a bit if they had to share the floor since they have most of the same strengths and weaknesses. They're both good so they'd make it work, but it's less than ideal.

Wade can shoot the 3 and post up. Rose is a mid range guy and penetrator. Wade obviously penetrates as well. Bernstein saying they couldn't play together is way off.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 09:27 PM)
Wade can shoot the 3 and post up. Rose is a mid range guy and penetrator. Wade obviously penetrates as well. Bernstein saying they couldn't play together is way off.

Wade shoots the three, that doesn't mean he can or should shoot it. He shot 30% from outside this year and is at 28.9% for his career. That f***ing sucks.

The shot distribution by zones is almost identical...

Wade- 7.4 attempts per game at rim, 1.8 attempts

Rose- 5.6 attempts at rim, 2.1 attempts

There's really not much of a difference there, other than Wade takes more shots.

"Can play together" is relative. They'd both still be effective players, but they're not going to combine for anything close to 50 PPG when they're fighting to get to the same places on the floor.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
Ehh. I don't think Rose's offensive game is all that similar to Wade's. Rose can't score outside of 19-20 feet. Also, as mentioned, Wade's post game is far superior. On the flip side, Rose is a much better distributor, and I don't think it's close there. The only similarities are they both can handle the ball and are f***ing good.

They are very similar now, even more so in the beginning of their careers. Check Wade's numbers and percentages in almost anything on the offensive end, they are very similar. Wade really stepped up his game from behind the arc last year which will most likely happen with Rose as he matures. They both score OFTEN while driving to the hole which is definitely not ideal to have them both on the court at the same time

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 03:51 AM)
Why is anyone even bothering with the rumors anymore at this point? We're hearing something different about every 10 minutes.

Yep, now it seems Johnson will stay in Atlanta and LeBron is almost definitely going to stay in Cleveland.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
Zoom. Why did you abandon the Soxtalk fantasy leagues? :(

I'm not really any worse than I was last year, I'm not a high-transaction guy. I made 9 moves COMBINED in the three Soxtalk leagues last year to much greater effect. I just drafted like s*** this year apparently.