NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)
I really don't see it being that hard for them to build a 50+ win team around Wade and Bosh, especially when they'll still have a fair amount of cap space with Wade and Bosh only taking up like $35 mil. Just sign a rugged, defense-oriented center like Brendan Haywood (or bring O'Neal and/or Haslem back on the cheap selling him on a shot at a ring) and add a couple of shooters that don't do much else like Randy Foye or Chris Duhon and Rasual Butler (or Ray Allen if the price is right), then you have basically the same roster with Bosh instead of Beasley. That's a pretty decent upgrade.

Well, first point is that even though Wade and Bosh will only be taking up $35 million they're still holding a couple other guys like Beasley that they'd have to find a way to turn into something useful.

It'd get easier every year for them, because every year they could make use of the MLE to add additional players. But that first year, they're a 50 win, non-championship caliber team.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
It would be a challenge to win playoff series against good teams. Winning 60-65 games should happen somewhat easily though.

Agreeing with this. Especially on long rest like the playoffs have, teams like the Lakers, Thunder, and (this years) Celtics could take them, just because they would have 2 massive holes at point guard and center.

My friend just sent me a text about Melo, saying he wants the Bulls to trade Deng/Taj/JJ/Picks for Melo, then sign LeBron to form some sort of crazy super team.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
My friend just sent me a text about Melo, saying he wants the Bulls to trade Deng/Taj/JJ/Picks for Melo, then sign LeBron to form some sort of crazy super team.

Where would you put Anthony? As your SG?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)

If that is the same friend who didn't want LeBron to begin with, then he should be taken to an alley and be beaten up heavily.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
If that is the same friend who didn't want LeBron to begin with, then he should be taken to an alley and be beaten up heavily.

That was my brother. He for some reason still wants Wade + Amare.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
As Rowand has said, I'm not believing anything until said player has signed at the dotted line or if a sign and trade is finalized.

when a major rumor like that is out there and there's no follow-up confirmations (note, I don't count this as a confirmation of SASs rumor, why they both have Bosh in Miami the time and scenarios are different enough) in a decent amount of time they fall to the side to me, basically nobody really has such crazy inside sources that they can get something confirmed and nobody else can confirm it for 1/2 a day. Especially when dealing with 2 teams

As Rowand has said, I'm not believing anything until said player has signed at the dotted line or if a sign and trade is finalized.

Yeah, everyday some new crazy s*** comes up out of nowhere.

Seriously, I could write a bleacher report with "league sources" saying that LeBron is a lock to land with the Thunder and it'd start getting reported.

Exactly. This is like college recruiting, even if you get a verbal commitment, it could be backed out on easily. Wait until something is signed.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
Yeah, everyday some new crazy s*** comes up out of nowhere.

Seriously, I could write a bleacher report with "league sources" saying that LeBron is a lock to land with the Thunder and it'd start getting reported.

We should've been prepared for this. This is the world we live in: Internet, Twitter, excessive media, ect. But I never thought it would get this bad.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
We should've been prepared for this. This is the world we live in: Internet, Twitter, excessive media, ect. But I never thought it would get this bad.

Yeah, journalism has basically been a myth in this story. It's all about getting s*** to throw against the wall, throwing it, and hoping it sticks. Getting it right is irrelevant, getting it first is what counts.

Ugh, LeBatard saying he will not play for the Heat next year definitively makes them a bigger threat IMO.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
Dan LeBatard - Reporting definitively that James will NOT play for Heat next season. Stugotz

Now I havent been around the world of sports because I have been working most of the day but wasnt he saying the EXACT opposite early at like noon?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
Yeah, journalism has basically been a myth in this story. It's all about getting s*** to throw against the wall, throwing it, and hoping it sticks. Getting it right is irrelevant, getting it first is what counts.

Ugh, LeBatard saying the Heat will not play for the Heat next year definitively makes them a bigger threat IMO.

Can I get some of what you're on? I'm serious. I need it. lol.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
Well, first point is that even though Wade and Bosh will only be taking up $35 million they're still holding a couple other guys like Beasley that they'd have to find a way to turn into something useful.

It'd get easier every year for them, because every year they could make use of the MLE to add additional players. But that first year, they're a 50 win, non-championship caliber team.

The rumors are that Beasley and Chalmers would be going in the Bosh deal. Those are the only guys they'd have under contract right now. Even if they aren't moved, that'd still leave them around $12 mil under the cap, enough to pick up a few key rotation pieces.

As for the championship part, that depends largely on where Lebron goes and how well they fill their roster. Assuming Beasley and Chalmers do go in the Bosh sign and trade, they could have a roster like this, which I think would give them a chance:

PG- One of Felton, Foye, Ridnour, Blake plus someone like Duhon or Watson

SG- Wade plus someone like Rasual Butler

SF- Miller or Salmons, Butler as swing man

PF- Bosh, Haslem backup

C- Haywood, Ratliff backup

Spend like $6 mil on Haywood $5 mil on Miller/Salmons, about $3 or $4 mil on your starting PG and another $3 mil/league minimum exemptions to fill out the roster. Fairly doable and not exactly overmatched unless the Bulls get Lebron.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
Now I havent been around the world of sports because I have been working most of the day but wasnt he saying the EXACT opposite early at like noon?

He said that Bosh was going to the Heat in a sign and trade. Which average fans on this site knew sounded funny. And he is now retracting. Just another guy putting his name on the rumors. And apparently he backed the Stephen A. Smith LeBron to the heat rumors because SAS can't be wrong twice (that's according to Goff).

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)

that would have been an update from his first report, because all lebatard said was Bosh to Miami, he didn't throw James in there from what I saw, but I actually let work get in the way for about 4 hours today!!!!