NBA Offseason Thread

Are the Knicks the fail or what?

One was a five-year max contract worth an estimated $95 million, leaving them with space to offer another max deal to either Joe Johnson, Amar'e Stoudemire or Chris Bosh.

The other option -- as reported Tuesday by SI.com -- was to offer James a five-year deal, with a starting base salary of $11.5 million, which would leave room for Johnson and Stoudemire to join James in New York at similar salaries. The Knicks essentially would be counting on James to help recruit them as teammates by convincing them to accept at least $5 million less per year than they could earn elsewhere on the promise of ultimately receiving more income from off-court deals that would be available to them in New York.

Are they serious with the second option? lmao

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 07:17 PM)
Man, it is going to suck to be a NYN fan next year. No LeBron, No Bosh, and now no Joe Johnson.

@WojYahooNBA - Joe Johnson is thinking through several scenarios before taking Hawks offer of $119 million, but sources insist Knicks unappealing to him.

The Knicks best course of action is probably to take their best shot at LeBron, and if that fails, then to sign at least one tier-two FA and the pound the trade market hard...it's possible they could get Melo and come out in decent shape.

ESPN is running a fan ranking poll of where fans think LBJ is headed.

Here are the results (Total Votes: 117,293):

Team (#1 Votes) Points

1. Bulls (40,594) 665,928
  2. Cavaliers (40,096) 648,599
  3. Knicks (19,221) 542,677
  4. Heat (7,447) 455,422
  5. Nets (4,472) 411,480
  6. Clippers (2,547) 284,220
  7. Mavericks (2,916) 262,688

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)
Are the Knicks the fail or what?

Are they serious with the second option? lmao

wow, I know LBJ is going to make a ton more off of endorsements than this NBA contract, but there's no way he takes 11.5 and pays the NY tax, I would have audibly laughed if I was one of LBJ's advisers in that room and they brought that option up with a follow up question/statement of "You guys expect Lebron to do all of your jobs, you going to have him sell popcorn at halftime? You should have had better players in place before walking in here."

Edited by SoxFan562004

Does Barack Obama want my vote in 2012? He can guarantee it if he either A) shows up in Akron on Saturday to meet with LBJ or B.) show up via teleconference. (this would understandably cost him a number of votes in NY, OH, FL, CA)

Do it anyway.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
Does Barack Obama want my vote in 2012? He can guarantee it if he either A) shows up in Akron on Saturday to meet with LBJ or B.) show up via teleconference. (this would understandably cost him a number of votes in NY, OH, FL, CA)

Do it anyway.

I think Obama taking his time to recruit LBJ would actually hurt his chances with me. He's got bigger fish to fry.

Hopefully.

The whole NYK pitch, especially the 2nd option as an extreme example, is why so many pundits and NBA people said the Bulls have a decent shot at landing him IF he leaves Cle. Basically most teams have to say something about moving X and Y player to get Z or next year we'll have cap room basically the Bulls can say extremely simply...

1) Look at our roster, with you added alone we are the clear cut favorites in the East, better than anyone else without 5 things having to fall into place.

2) Have someone else committed already, I'll use Boozer because he's not expected to be a max guys and the Bulls can do this without another move and just say we've got Boozer, let's add you and dominate for 5 years and you'll make the Bulls an elite multi-generation franchise like the Celtics and Lakers.

Don't know if this was mentioned, but Bosh and Boozer are both at the Trump Tower tonight and both will meet with the Bulls tomorrow. Paxson and Thibodeau had a brief and informal visit with Bosh today and tomorrow will be the 3rd time they have talked since 12:01 yesterday.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:35 PM)
Don't know if this was mentioned, but Bosh and Boozer are both at the Trump Tower tonight and both will meet with the Bulls tomorrow. Paxson and Thibodeau had a brief and informal visit with Bosh today and tomorrow will be the 3rd time they have talked since 12:01 yesterday.

Where did you see something on Boshd meeting with the Bulls today? I knowt hey chatted with Bosh on Thursday (right at midnight) and than were scheduled for Friday. KC JOhnson keeps saying no other meeting happened.

I did see where Sam Smith said the Bulls might throw out all the stops and offer up for a huge sign and trade with the Raptors which would still leave the Bulls with a good deal of cap room. I'm hoping we find out tomorrow that we've secured Bosh. That would be huge.

Interesting that we are going to be meet with Boozer too tomorrow. I know we are evidently going to meet with Amare as well.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 12:40 AM)
Where did you see something on Boshd meeting with the Bulls today? I knowt hey chatted with Bosh on Thursday (right at midnight) and than were scheduled for Friday. KC JOhnson keeps saying no other meeting happened.

I did see where Sam Smith said the Bulls might throw out all the stops and offer up for a huge sign and trade with the Raptors which would still leave the Bulls with a good deal of cap room. I'm hoping we find out tomorrow that we've secured Bosh. That would be huge.

Interesting that we are going to be meet with Boozer too tomorrow. I know we are evidently going to meet with Amare as well.

Paxson and Thibodeau were definitely there, there is no denying that. I think it was more of a "Welcome to the city, we're looking forward to talking to you in great detail tomorrow" type deal. And Paxson was smiling ear to ear afterwards.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
Paxson and Thibodeau were definitely there, there is no denying that. I think it was more of a "Welcome to the city, we're looking forward to talking to you in great detail tomorrow" type deal. And Paxson was smiling ear to ear afterwards.

Awesome.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 02:12 AM)
Amir Johnson gets a 5 year $34 million deal from Toronto. Are they INSANE?

That deal is almost as bad as the Jerome James deal Isaiah Thomas gave him IMO.

Almost seems as if it's a given Colangelo is gonna bolt for New Jersey and he doesn't care anymore.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 12:35 AM)

I walked by Trump Tower yesterday around 5 pm and was wondering what all the cameras and cops were there for. I thought maybe Trump was in town, now I know.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 09:39 PM)
i cant take it any more

You cant take what, Steve? The anticipation of Lebron making a decision to go to the Heat,Knicks, or Bulls?

Its nerve racking isnt it?