June Catch All White Sox Thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
CMon, dude, they just swept the Braves.

Enough of the nonsense.

Its not nonsense, whats nonsense is all you drones reserving your playoff tickets.. how about you wait for them to actually put together a string of wins against AL competition before declaring them central champions..

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
Its not nonsense, whats nonsense is all you drones reserving your playoff tickets.. how about you wait for them to actually put together a string of wins against AL competition before declaring them central champions..

debbie-downer.jpg

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)

No one is declaring anyone AL Central Champions.

But to claim that this run is somehow not impressive because of the competition they've faced is bs. Winning 15 of 16 major league baseball games, I don't care who you play, is quite an accomplishment. And to sweep the Braves, who have been one of the best teams in baseball since May 1st, is also quite an accomplishment. Because they happen to be in the NL and not the AL has very little to do with the quality of baseball team they are.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
No one is declaring anyone AL Central Champions.

But to claim that this run is somehow not impressive because of the competition they've faced is bs. Winning 15 of 16 major league baseball games, I don't care who you play, is quite an accomplishment. And to sweep the Braves, who have been one of the best teams in baseball since May 1st, is also quite an accomplishment. Because they happen to be in the NL and not the AL has very little to do with the quality of baseball team they are.

I don't think the run isn't impressive.. they have won 11 in a row and what, 15 of 16? That's impressive.. I don't see what the problem is with wanting them to finally do good against AL competition before getting my hopes up..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
I don't think the run isn't impressive.. they have won 11 in a row and what, 15 of 16? That's impressive.. I don't see what the problem is with wanting them to finally do good against AL competition before getting my hopes up..

Look, what you choose to do is what you choose to do...all I am trying to impart is that teams don't run off a streak like this merely because the competition is subpar.

We all want to see a more consistent, fundamentally-sound baseball team.

What would be awesome is to see the offense pick up right when the pitching starts letting down a bit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
What have they been doing lately that hasn't been fundamentally sound?

I'm talking about the entire season...they have been magnificent recently...need to see it going forward, not simply as a 20 game thing.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
I'm talking about the entire season...they have been magnificent recently...need to see it going forward, not simply as a 20 game thing.

Things that haven't been very fundamentally sound:

The sox on the basepaths in general. Too aggressive, running into too many outs. That's not likely to change.

Teahen's D at 3b.

Quentin's D in RF.

Everything Randy Williams has done.

Aside from that, what true fundamentals are they failing at on a regular basis?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)
Things that haven't been very fundamentally sound:

The sox on the basepaths in general. Too aggressive, running into too many outs. That's not likely to change.

Teahen's D at 3b.

Quentin's D in RF.

Everything Randy Williams has done.

Aside from that, what true fundamentals are they failing at on a regular basis?

Bunting, making more productive outs (moving runners over, getting runners in from 3rd with less than 2 outs), hitting the cutoff man, grounding into less double plays with men on base, hitting to all fields, especially against sinkerball pitchers who are just trying to get them to roll the ball over the left side, walking more, etc.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 12:40 PM)
all I am trying to impart is that teams don't run off a streak like this merely because the competition is subpar.

Actually ide say thats a big reason why teams run off big streaks like this

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 01:14 PM)
Wrong.

Baseball is not basketball.

Yeah you're right, getting to play teams like Pittsburgh, Washington, Florida, and the Cubs had nothing to do with this streak

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
Yeah you're right, getting to play teams like Pittsburgh, Washington, Florida, and the Cubs had nothing to do with this streak

First of all, we didn't play Florida.

Second of all, don't mistake correlation with causality.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
First of all, we didn't play Florida.

Second of all, don't mistake correlation with causality.

Im talking about our interleague schedule having an impact on our current standing..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
Im talking about our interleague schedule having an impact on our current standing..

I'm wondering why you said that teams like Florida have a lot to do "with this streak" then.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
I'm wondering why you said that teams like Florida have a lot to do "with this streak" then.

Ok then consider that a miswording on my part?

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)

You might be able to downplay the Cubs and Pirates pretty easily. The Nationals were pretty much a 500 team before we saw them. But we also beat Stausburg, so that by itself is worth mentioning. Atlanta has also been pounding the American League, taking 2 of 3 from both Tampa Bay and Minnesota, swept KC, plus they have beaten Detroit for the first two games of their series. We swept Atlanta. No other AL team has been able to beat them more than once.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 02:37 AM)
Ill believe it when they start beating AL teams

If they lose the series to KC, ill know all I need to know..

This team could s*** a brick of gold for you, and you'd ask for sterling silver and remain disappointed.

If you really think the Royals are better than the Braves or even the Cubs, you really need to get a bit of a reality check.

Go look at interleague records this year, it's almost even.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
This team could s*** a brick of gold for you, and you'd ask for sterling silver and remain disappointed.

really wite? find where I have said this team was done.. how about find where I said that they are still garbage despite beating up on the NL.. you cant, because I didn't f***ing say that or act that way.. why is it so f***ing off the wall to want to see them put together some streaks against the AL? you act like i just sit here and bash them or something..

gimme a f***ing break.. they need to start beating the teams they should beat, the clevelands and kansas citys of the world, and perform against their own league before I start throwing a party like most of you people.. you'll be the same ones cursing this team if they fall again..

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
If you really think the Royals are better than the Braves or even the Cubs, you really need to get a bit of a reality check.

Go look at interleague records this year, it's almost even.

Atlanta is better than KC, and I won't argue if you have the Cubs as better than the Royals (on paper, they should be), but I think it's pretty close.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)
really wite? find where I have said this team was done.. how about find where I said that they are still garbage despite beating up on the NL.. you cant, because I didn't f***ing say that or act that way.. why is it so f***ing off the wall to want to see them put together some streaks against the AL? you act like i just sit here and bash them or something..

gimme a f***ing break.. they need to start beating the teams they should beat, the clevelands and kansas citys of the world, and perform against their own league before I start throwing a party like most of you people.. you'll be the same ones cursing this team if they fall again..

Nipples.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
But we also beat Stausburg, so that by itself is worth mentioning.

No we didn't and I'm sick of people saying that. We beat their bullpen, we beat the team despite him pitching well, sure those answers are fine by me... but we did not "beat him." He pitched really well and even though his offense had nothing to back him up, he still got no L in his loss column.

BTW I agree with Tru.... up until the Atlanta series where that was the true test for me on this club as they are the "legit" team they beat in this stretch so I'm sold. Now... if they get swept by the Royals, then I might have to rethink things with the "beck to the AL teams" argument.