June Catch All White Sox Thread

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sox have a handful of guys that love hitting fastballs. Having watched Strasburg, that's how they will have to get hits against him. His curveball is ridiculous. I don't see him going deep into the game either. If the Sox can eek out 2 or 3 runs against him and get to the bullpen by the 7th, there's a chance. Win tonight and it makes a series win much more realistic.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 19, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
Asked if this team has money to add, Chariman said: "Yes. I also think this team might be good enough as it is."

If Quentin and Beckham would ever wake up, I could believe it.

our starting pitching has been throwing damn near a shutout everytime they take the mound over the last 10-11 games, and that won't continue for the rest of the season, meanwhile we have 3-4 guys in our lineup barely hitting .240, if this continues we'll pretty much be sitting in 2nd or 3rd place for the rest of the year

beckham needs to be sent down

Sox pitching should only get better.

The White Sox have a team FIP of 3.89 (third best in the AL). Our team ERA is 4.41, which is somewhere near the bottom.

That's a difference of .52 between ERA and FIP, which is the 4th largest differential in baseball.

So I think we should expect our pitching to do like it has during this streak for a little longer.

It'll even out eventually, but our xFIP suggests that we should be a team with a ERA in the low 4s.

Sox pitching should only get better.

The White Sox have a team FIP of 3.89 (third best in the AL). Our team ERA is 4.41, which is somewhere near the bottom.

That's a difference of .52 between ERA and FIP, which is the 4th largest differential in baseball.

So I think we should expect our pitching to do like it has during this streak for a little longer.

It'll even out eventually, but our xFIP suggests that we should be a team with a ERA in the low 4s.

chw42, I expect with some more luck and feasting on the Flubs next weekend it could even come down below 4.

1) Absolutely everything seemed to go the Sox's way vs. the Nationals. We got a strike zone very favorable to us on Saturday (which resulted in Riggleman getting tossed), one bang-bang play was miscalled in favor of us, and it seemed as though every line drive off of Peavy late in the game Saturday was caught. Yesterday, every time we needed something, it seemed to happen for us, ditto friday.

2) We have the most wins of any major-league team and best winning percentage in 1-run games (14-8). When you glance at that statistic, and our run differential, which is still -20 despite our .500 record, it makes me think the ball has really been rolling the Sox' way of late.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 09:49 AM)
1) Absolutely everything seemed to go the Sox's way vs. the Nationals. We got a strike zone very favorable to us on Saturday (which resulted in Riggleman getting tossed), one bang-bang play was miscalled in favor of us, and it seemed as though every line drive off of Peavy late in the game Saturday was caught. Yesterday, every time we needed something, it seemed to happen for us, ditto friday.

2) We have the most wins of any major-league team and best winning percentage in 1-run games (14-8). When you glance at that statistic, and our run differential, which is still -20 despite our .500 record, it makes me think the ball has really been rolling the Sox' way of late.

In regards to #1, that happens. It's also about time that every line drive being hit off of Peavy was hit right at someone, considering that every little ball that was hit during his first 10 starts was landing for base hits, hard hit or not. That's how the game goes sometimes.

In regards to #2, it also indicates a good bullpen. Santos has come back to earth after a magnificent 2 month stretch to start the year, and Williams is obviously terrible, but Thornton and Putz have been rocks in the pen all year, Jenks has 13 scoreless appearances in his last 15, and Pena has been great outside of 3 appearances all season. Beyond that, it also reflects a great pitching staff and a mediocre offense. It's been better, but it still is not that good.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)

I completely agree...it was ridiculous how many hard hit balls they had right at our defenders. Also, the umpiring all series was extremely beneficial to the Sox. However, these things happen, and it's great we were able to take advantage of it.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 07:36 AM)
This may have been mentioned before on this site, but in the game Red Dead Redemption, you play a dice game called Liar's Dice against a dude named Lyle Mouton. ha

hahahaha man I saw that too a few weeks ago and immediately laughed at that..

I use to have a baseball signed by Lyle Mouton that I got at the Sox game YEARS ago

Mark Kotsay in his career had started one game in which Tim Hudson was the opposing pitcher, and he went 3 for 3 with 1 2B and 1 HR.

That came in back in 2001. Since that point in time, they've either been on the same team (2004 and 2008) or have been in different leagues (99-03, 05-07, 09-10). They still should have faced off in interleague atleast once, but instead, the other has been hurt when the opposing teams met (2009, Hudson was hurt), Kotsay has missed Hudson's turn in the rotation (2005), or they simply haven't been scheduled to face each other (which includes the remaining years).

Just fun facts about one of our least fun players. It's a bit fascinating considering Hudson has started 324 games in his career and Kotsay has appeared in 1565 that they hadn't seen faced each other more than once.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
God, don't tell Ozzie that Kotsay had one good game against Hudson.

Please don't.

Pierre LF

Vizquel 3B

Rios CF

Konerko 1B

Quentin RF

Kotsay Dh

Pierzynski C

Ramirez SS

Beckham 2B

Buehrle P

So yea..

Will Viciedo be the downfall of Ken or Oz? It's obvious Kenny didn't even consult Oz before bringing him up. Isn't it apparent Oz remains in love with Omar and Viciedo will not play? This will further strain the 2's relationship. Will they be headed for more fights?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
Will Viciedo be the downfall of Ken or Oz? It's obvious Kenny didn't even consult Oz before bringing him up. Isn't it apparent Oz remains in love with Omar and Viciedo will not play?

This has nothing to do with Omar since he needs to be in the lineup everyday and since he can play 3 infield positions it's not hard to fit him in there. The problem is; Gordon Beckham is playing horrible baseball and Mark Kotsay is still getting WAY too many AB's in the DH spot. Viciedo - 3B, Vizquel - 2B, Kotsay - DH or Vizquel - 3B, Beckham - 2B, Viciedo - DH. PICK ONE. We can't just keep putting Kotsay in the DH spot because he hits left handed, that's silliness he's been a terrible all-around baseball player this season and mediocre at best over the past 3 years.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 01:22 PM)
Pierre LF

Vizquel 3B

Rios CF

Konerko 1B

Quentin RF

Kotsay Dh

Pierzynski C

Ramirez SS

Beckham 2B

Buehrle P

So yea..

Looks like Alexei's fine.

I was hoping that he wouldn't be, so we can play Viciedo at 3B and Vizquel at SS.