You are Jerry Reinsdorf, you decide, who gawn?

justBLAZE

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to see get fired?

• Ozzie.
    • Kenny.
    • Both.
    • Neither.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
You are 100% correct, those guys would have been better choices.

However...2 points. First...the only one of those options you list capable of being a backup 1b is Aubrey Huff. And considering he's basically a starter in S.F., I don't know why he'd have come to Chicago. You could always offer him more money, but really, please tell me who though offering $4 million+ to Aubrey Huff to be a backup 1b/DH/corner OF was a sane idea?

Kotsay has 1 other job on this team other than being DH, and that's giving Konerko extra time off. And Konerko's having a dynamite season.

And second...Can anyone honestly tell me that if we replaced Kotsay's .600 OPS with a .750-.825 OPS by signing Damon or Matsui for $9 million this year...or if we replaced him with Thome and his actually solid numbers, again playing part time, we'd be a .500 team? Honestly. We're scoring as many runs with this lineup as we did with last year's lineup, even in the first half with JD and Thome playing well. And the rest of the league is down in offense, so we're actually producing runs, relative to the league, at a better pace than last year.

Unless signing Thome, Matsui, Huff, whatever...would fix the pitching staff, or would turn Quentin and Beckham into all-stars, then you guys are spending all this effort complaining about guys 22-25 on the roster when guys 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, and 10 are bloody failures.

You're looking at the Gulf of Mexico and complaining about the small other oil leak from the 2nd platform that no one has heard about, and then filling up at a BP station and wondering why you're getting dirty looks for it.

I was a huge believer that we should have signed Huff as our primary DH. He is a solid RBI producing LH bat. He also had the rare ability to give flexibility with defense. No one would confuse him as a solid defender, but he had the ability to play at 1B, LF, RF and 3B, giving other players a day off in the field. The Giants only gave him $3 million. That's double what Kotsay was given and Huff has been an everyday guy for his entire career and Kotsay hasn't been everyday in about 4 or 5 seasons.

As for the team as a whole, you are correct that the Kotsay/Jones tandem isn't what is making us a sub .500 team. It is clearly in the hands of the erratic SP and the horrible offense outside of Rios and PK. AJ, Beckham,Quentin,Alexei,Teahen,Pierre and the DH tandem is the other reason we are bad. You can get by with 2 or 3 substandard offense players in the A.L. But when 2 of you regulars have OPS's under .600 and 4 more are under .700, you are really going to struggle.

No one saw Beckham struggling to this degree. We all thought CQ could return to something similar to 2008. We hoped that Pierre could get on base 35% of the time, we hoped Teahen could put up solid numbers in a hitters park, we hoped Alexei could find his 2008 magic. We didn't know AJ would start to decline. We had question marks with all 9 of our starters heading into the year and only 2 proved to be solid through the first 9.5 weeks.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 11:20 AM)
I blame whoever's fault it is that Buehrle, Peavy, & Gavin suck balls this year.

I think that this is a good discussion overall. Ozzie seems to be taking most of the blame this season because it is "his" roster. I think that Ozzie mainly had his influence over the offense and while the offense has not exactly been stellar, it has scored more runs on average than last years team ( I believe that someone stated this on another thread). Ozzies' influence, which I believe has mainly been Jaun Pierre and the rotating D.H. ; while not great has been at least servicable and should be good enough to suppport our "vaunted" pitching staff.

Therefore, one could argue that Ozzies' part of the equation has at least been adequate. The problem has been the core of our offense and the pitching; areas where I don't believe that Ozzie had as much influence. JMHO

For the record, I'm not strongly for or against K. W. or Ozzie, I just want this organization to win consistantly.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
Ozzie needs to go for his tired bull$#!t. And take that P.O.S. Oney with you.

I agree. I also didn't like how he mentioned that Galaraga wouldn't pitch a perfect game against us. I understand what he was getting at but the guy had a perfect game stripped away from him and that was just an unneccesary comment for being 8.5 games back of the division. He shouldn't be allowed to talk sh*t to anyone if we are playing this poorly

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)
Kotsay has 6 HR on the year. Vizquel has markedly positive UZR numbers at 3b and SS, negative numbers at 2b but he's only getting time there because our starting 2b is sucking royally. Kotsay and Vizquel have been adequate at their job.

Every time anyone blames this season on Kotsay or Vizquel, God Kills a Kitten.

Boy that was a weak argument for someone who wanted him re-sign badly and thought he would have a career year year at age 34 for the whole rotate DH idea. (which is a good idea.. but you don't have the hitters to imply it to) Pierre was what Ozzie wanted to in a slap happy, speedy hitting LF.

Earlier this year, Tony LaRussa gave an interview where he hinted that he might like to try his hand at something different in baseball, which included the role of general manager. He also indicated in that same interview that he loved Jerry Reinsdorf and would be open to the idea of working for him again. I think LaRussa re-upped with the Cardinals for just one year, and so with his contract expiring at the end of the season, coupled with the current mess the Sox find themselves in, I wonder if the timing might be right for the triumphant return of Mr. LaRussa to the South Side of Chicago, home of his first job in Major League Baseball, as the Sox' new GM (with Williams remaining in the organization in some other capacity).

Guillen needs to go. I give him a ton of credit for 2005, but the bottom line is his teams have underacheived every year except 2005 and 2008. Even in 2008 we saw some of his worst managing, with the three man rotation at the end of the season and putting Griffey out in center field.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
Earlier this year, Tony LaRussa gave an interview where he hinted that he might like to try his hand at something different in baseball, which included the role of general manager. He also indicated in that same interview that he loved Jerry Reinsdorf and would be open to the idea of working for him again. I think LaRussa re-upped with the Cardinals for just one year, and so with his contract expiring at the end of the season, coupled with the current mess the Sox find themselves in, I wonder if the timing might be right for the triumphant return of Mr. LaRussa to the South Side of Chicago, home of his first job in Major League Baseball, as the Sox' new GM (with Williams remaining in the organization in some other capacity).

I have wondered (and posted) that very same thought. Consider that longtime assistant Dan Evans was passed over for the job for Kenny, who had less senority than Williams at the time. I do not think that bringing in LaRussa would be beyond the realm of possibility. (I, for one, would not want to see it). Jerry has a history of peculiar, out-of-the box hires. Plus, he has to be angry as hell about the Peavy deal, and the rest of this current train wreck, which Hahn was a part of.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
Kotsay has 6 HR on the year. Vizquel has markedly positive UZR numbers at 3b and SS, negative numbers at 2b but he's only getting time there because our starting 2b is sucking royally. Kotsay and Vizquel have been adequate at their job.

Every time anyone blames this season on Kotsay or Vizquel, God Kills a Kitten.

Omar Vizquel would be fine if he was a defensive replacement, but he's getting way too many ABs. As for Kotsay, he has 6 homers, and a whole bunch of nothing else.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
Omar Vizquel would be fine if he was a defensive replacement, but he's getting way too many ABs. As for Kotsay, he has 6 homers, and a whole bunch of nothing else.

the walks arent bad

Is the MLB Network still doing that reality show on the White Sox?

If they are, and they are getting any kin of access, it should be phenomenal stuff.

You didn't have to read between many lines to realize Ozzie was supremely pissed.

Although Kenny Jr., who is no prospect, was drafted in a later round than Ozzie out of high school.

Kotsay's not the reason this team is bad but that doesn't excuse his .292 wOBA (horrible) and 5 for 35 hitting with RISP given that he has more PA in the 5 hole than anyone else on this team. He's been awful and his retarded play on the field has cost us more than a few runs, his baseball IQ this season has been non-existent.

And Kotsay's numbers added to Quentin and Beckham's slumps have pretty much killed the offense, along with Jones having a really bad May / early June.

I wouldn't mind bringing in LaRussa so long as he was the manager who gave us the best chance to win going forward, that's all I care about.

The point of the article was that Guillen's kid was ranked as 4th round talent while KW's kid barley cracked a top ten on two teams but was taken in the 5th round.

KW's kid was a college kid who had no options and got $175K

Guillen's kid it sounds like was offered $50K

Sounds like other org's passed on Guillen's kid due to his signability and the relationship with the Sox and the Sox passed on him because of their tenuous relationship with his father.

Personally it sounds to me like Guillen's kid got screwed.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
The point of the article was that Guillen's kid was ranked as 4th round talent while KW's kid barley cracked a top ten on two teams but was taken in the 5th round.

KW's kid was a college kid who had no options and got $175K

Guillen's kid it sounds like was offered $50K

Sounds like other org's passed on Guillen's kid due to his signability and the relationship with the Sox and the Sox passed on him because of their tenuous relationship with his father.

Personally it sounds to me like Guillen's kid got screwed.

If he was ranked as 4th round talent why didn't anybody else draft him earlier?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
Kotsay's not the reason this team is bad but that doesn't excuse his .292 wOBA (horrible) and 5 for 35 hitting with RISP given that he has more PA in the 5 hole than anyone else on this team. He's been awful and his retarded play on the field has cost us more than a few runs, his baseball IQ this season has been non-existent.

I swear Kotsay has come up with the bases loaded at least 4 times from the 5 hole and I honestly cant remember a single time he did anything with that opportunity..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
I swear Kotsay has come up with the bases loaded at least 4 times from the 5 hole and I honestly cant remember a single time he did anything with that opportunity..

Kotsay is 0/6 this season with the Bases Loaded.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 9, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)

He had 2 opportunities in the opener: GIDP in one and a fielder's choice in the other which accounted for his only RBI with the bases loaded this year. (0-6)