Does AJ get traded this weekend?

southsider2k5

AJ trade poll  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Does AJ get traded this weekend, or does he get his 10/5 rights?

• He Gawn!
    • WhiteSox4life!

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 01:14 PM)
Ryan Sweeney recently complained about how the Sox always used to try to make him change his swing.

Anderson never really agreed to change anything in his approach, until it was way too late.

Fields is a bit harder to explain, but "slider speed" bat is part of it. His defensive woes didn't help matters much, but it seems he could have been at least an average LF or DH offensively based on 2007.

Then again, hopefully we're not saying the same thing about Beckham 2-3 years from now. That would be too painful.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
I would imagine it would be Buddy Bell, but that is just a guess.

Anyone who thought Mark Teahen should go back to being a full-time 3B in the AL should be fired on the spot.

Yeah, you can live with a mid 700's OPS (Uribe/Crede) but his defense with a team that has a razor-thin margin for error because of its offense...you just can't play him over someone like Vizquel who at least makes consistent contact and doesn't kill the infield D. I mean, Vizquel was last a "decent" offensive player 7-10 years ago, but I would still rather have him in the line-up than Teahen.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
Anyone who thought Mark Teahen should go back to being a full-time 3B in the AL should be fired on the spot.

Great post.

KW's worst move ever IMHO.

Best case scenario you have a bad defender that gives you 18/75/.800, which should be the absolute floor for an AL corner infielder.

Worst case scenario is the worst defensive everyday player in baseball, and a lefty that should be in a bad LF platoon in the NL West.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 06:38 PM)
Great post.

KW's worst move ever IMHO.

hyperbole at its finest

i'll take mark teahen 10 times out of 10 over chris getz + josh fields

it's the contract extension where i have to scratch my head, not the acquisition

Edited by Real

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 06:46 PM)
How can anyone say something is KW's worst move if they're not talking about Nick Swisher? BTW, Betemit has contributed more to KC in 3 games than he did all last year for the Sox.

Because Nick Swisher could play the position he was acquired to play.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 06:22 PM)
Anderson never really agreed to change anything in his approach, until it was way too late.

Fields is a bit harder to explain, but "slider speed" bat is part of it. His defensive woes didn't help matters much, but it seems he could have been at least an average LF or DH offensively based on 2007.

Then again, hopefully we're not saying the same thing about Beckham 2-3 years from now. That would be too painful.

Anderson would do it in practice, and seem to get it, then in games would go back to whatever he was doing before.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)
Do you know if the Sox were actively shopping him, or just preparing to take calls?

They were shopping him aggressively. From what I understand 2 factors kept him here: Ozzie, and the lack of a market.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I am very glad AJ is still here. In fact, I want him signed for an extension. Catcher is such an important position that I don't think you replace a stalwart like AJ until you have his replacement 100% ready to step in. Flowers has not shown that he can handle major pitching (in his cup of coffee last year) and he is struggling a bit in Charlotte. Let him get his groove, come up to the Sox late this year or next year, and start battling AJ for playing time. If AJ still thinks he can catch 1000 innings and Flowers shows he's ready and Ozzie gives Flowers more starts, that will cause AJ to want to go elsewhere. So ultimately he can be moved, but now is not the right time. If we move him now, we are just going to be another team with a revolving door at catcher, pinning our hopes on a new savior (Flowers).

You don't sign someone to an extension just to potentially move them the next season, and beyond that, AJ would seriously probably block a trade in that instance.

AJ is falling off rather quickly, and counting on him to be anything more than a replacement level catcher in the years to come is a bit scary.

I also don't see how you can assume Flowers can't handle MLB pitching, considering he only had 5 starts. 3 of them were bad (Mark Buehrle against the Twins, Freddy Garcia against the Tigers, and Carlos Torres against the Indians), and 2 were good (Jake Peavy against the Royals and John Danks against the Indians).

You need to see what you have in Flowers at some point, and if the season becomes a lost cause for a division championship, you let Flowers take the reigns.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
You don't sign someone to an extension just to potentially move them the next season, and beyond that, AJ would seriously probably block a trade in that instance.

AJ is falling off rather quickly, and counting on him to be anything more than a replacement level catcher in the years to come is a bit scary.

I also don't see how you can assume Flowers can't handle MLB pitching, considering he only had 5 starts. 3 of them were bad (Mark Buehrle against the Twins, Freddy Garcia against the Tigers, and Carlos Torres against the Indians), and 2 were good (Jake Peavy against the Royals and John Danks against the Indians).

You need to see what you have in Flowers at some point, and if the season becomes a lost cause for a division championship, you let Flowers take the reigns.

The #1 thing that would drive AJ out of the Sox organization is if he doesn't like the amount of playing time he gets. Right now he catches 1000+ innings per year. The Sox should not bet on Flowers to immediately step up and catch 1000 innings. Better to do it gradually, by signing AJ to an extension. Then bring Flowers up. If Flowers performs well, and Ozzie plays him more, AJ will sit more and start to grumble and eventually demand to "play me or trade me".

By not signing AJ, the Sox would be betting that Flowers (or a combo of Flowers and Castro or Lucy?) could step in and catch 1000+ innings. That's a huge gamble with more downside risk than upside potential.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
AJ wants money. He won't care that much if he's not playing. And it's not worth risking it. You hand the keys to Flowers and just let him go with it.

There is no way that AJ would train his replacement. Hearing what spring sounded like with Flowers around reinforced that for me. If it is time for Flowers, AJ has to go.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
They were shopping him aggressively. From what I understand 2 factors kept him here: Ozzie, and the lack of a market.

Why does Ozzie continue to have a say in player personnel? That is Kenny's job, not Ozzie's. Ozzie needs to shut his mouth and manage the team that his GM gives him. I've grown tired of the Ozzie Guillen show in Chicago. If Kenny or Ozzie need to go, I'm really hoping it's going to be Ozzie thats out the door. I have my doubts that it'll go down that way though.

AJ getting an extension is one of the things that i've come to terms with. It's like the rotating DH, just because they shouldn't do it, doesn't mean they won't. The organization will pretend that Flowers needs more seasoning and that AJ would be more then willing to mentor, but the minute AJ speaks up, Flowers is as good as gone.