For the Love of Chase Blackwood

BrenBlackwood

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)
And there is nothing wrong with that. Hell if I ever get married (god forbid.. :P) in my mind, my wife would look like _________*insert beautiful cover model's name.* Could care less if anyone thinks she isn't THAT hot, she is to me.

HAHA I know Chase isn't Barry Bonds!! But I know he's good at being a catcher ..he needs to get his batting up, but other than that, he's great. His fastest time throwing a runner out at 2nd is 1.82 ..and that was from his knees. Ramon Castro calls him "Bazooka" LOL ..The year he was awarded the Gold Glove, (2008) he Owned a .990 fielding percentage as he committed just 4 errors in 418 chances.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (girlslikebaseballtoo#26 @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 08:14 PM)
HAHA I know Chase isn't Barry Bonds!! But I know he's good at being a catcher ..he needs to get his batting up, but other than that, he's great. His fastest time throwing a runner out at 2nd is 1.82 ..and that was from his knees. Ramon Castro calls him "Bazooka" LOL ..The year he was awarded the Gold Glove, (2008) he Owned a .990 fielding percentage as he committed just 4 errors in 418 chances.

These days on baseball message boards, you're going to get called out if you start talking about fielding percentages. We want his UZR. ;)

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
All she ever said was that he works hard and doesn't let adversity get in his way. She never claimed he was Barry Bonds. What's wrong with hard workers in the organization? I wish I could play pro ball, even if was in the lower minors.

You're Chase's favorite!! haha

I've been reading all these things to him, mostly he just laughs about it and says "That's fine".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
These days on baseball message boards, you're going to get called out if you start talking about fielding percentages. We want his UZR. ;)

Balta, you're too smart for me!! I don't even know what that means ..let alone how to get it to you!! ..None of what I'm saying isn't on the net ..look at his Valdosta Profile.

Player Profile

QUOTE (girlslikebaseballtoo#26 @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 08:26 PM)
Balta, you're too smart for me!! I don't even know what that means ..let alone how to get it to you!! ..None of what I'm saying isn't on the net ..look at his Valdosta Profile.

Player Profile

UZR isn't a perfect defensive stat but it tells you a lot more about a player's defensive ability than FPCT does.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
UZR isn't a perfect defensive stat but it tells you a lot more about a player's defensive ability than FPCT does.

Well ...Thank you clearing up absolutely nothing for me!! LOL ..I'm a baseball lover, always have been, but those acronyms are just confusing me!! ..If I knew what you all were talking about and how to get it for you, I certainly would do it! ..Well, I'm off of here for now ...gotta go watch the UCLA game with Chase Martin! lol ..hope you all are having a great day!! :)

QUOTE (girlslikebaseballtoo#26 @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)
Then to J4L, I apologize for the misunderstanding!! ..To you ,Thank you for setting me straight!! :)

No need to apologize. And I had no clue you were engaged to the guy (that would explain the bias). :)

That wasn't a personal insult by me. It was just an honest baseball observation. The only person I like to insult around here is this gay guy named witesoxfan.

Oh, and by the way...guys/gals, I know this is sort of a "gray area" in terms of our forum etiquette, but just try and be sensitive and reasonable in regards to your comments about a ballplayer who's close friend/spouse/parent etc., posts here. Baseball talk is certainly appropriate, but just use common sense and try not to hurt anyone's feelings if at all possible.

Can we all imagine if there were message boards discussing our performance at our jobs? Hah, what a riot that would be...

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 10:06 PM)
Does UZR even apply to catchers?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 10:09 PM)
Nope.

They use Plus/Minus to evaluate catcher defense at this point.

I was gonna say that doesn't sound right... Thought I was losing it from being a bit tired though. :lol:

Edited by SoxAce

I finally read this thread entirely and it makes sense now. I guess I need to come on soxtalk more often. I agree with JPN though. It'd be great to play pro ball, even if it was in the lower minor leagues. That in itself is quite an accomplishment with talent, hard work, and dedication. The highest I ever got to was barely being on a community college baseball team. Good luck to him on his quest at fullfilling his dream. The same dream most of us probably had at one time, which now has gone away.

This thread has the potential for some great bumps if Chase ever ends up doing something in the majors.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it would be absolutely hysterical if Chase somehow ended up passing Bonds home run record

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 01:04 AM)
This thread has the potential for some great bumps if Chase ever ends up doing something in the majors.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it would be absolutely hysterical if Chase somehow ended up passing Bonds home run record

this thread has zero potential

and because we were asked to spare feelings, I will leave out the second part of my joke..

QUOTE (girlslikebaseballtoo#26 @ Jun 12, 2010 -> 07:19 PM)
You're Chase's favorite!! haha

I've been reading all these things to him, mostly he just laughs about it and says "That's fine".

That's because I support the players, all of them. They're "our" guys, as someone on here once said. Unfortunately, there are people on this board who have the attitude that if a player is not a top 30 prospect, he isn't s**t. If a player is doing well, it doesn't matter to some people if he's not one of the big names. Some just don't respect the minor league players, they're just currency to them. If I could play catcher for a rookie level team, I'd be thrilled to death, and I don't even like playing catcher. There's a reason why guys play minor league or independant ball until they're 35-40 years old. There are just some posters on Soxtalk that are basically nothing buy haters, jealous that they are not pro baseball players and have their spouse supporting them every step of the way. Since I cannot play my favorite sport, I can at least enjoy the season tickets I have for the Barons. And, I'll always be out there to support those guys, because I know they appreciate it. I have a $200 baseball glove given to me personally by Micah Schnurstein to prove that appreciation.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
That's because I support the players, all of them. They're "our" guys, as someone on here once said. Unfortunately, there are people on this board who have the attitude that if a player is not a top 30 prospect, he isn't s**t. If a player is doing well, it doesn't matter to some people if he's not one of the big names. Some just don't respect the minor league players, they're just currency to them. If I could play catcher for a rookie level team, I'd be thrilled to death, and I don't even like playing catcher. There's a reason why guys play minor league or independant ball until they're 35-40 years old. There are just some posters on Soxtalk that are basically nothing buy haters, jealous that they are not pro baseball players and have their spouse supporting them every step of the way. Since I cannot play my favorite sport, I can at least enjoy the season tickets I have for the Barons. And, I'll always be out there to support those guys, because I know they appreciate it. I have a $200 baseball glove given to me personally by Micah Schnurstein to prove that appreciation.

That's a great post.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 07:50 AM)

I agree with SouthSider2k5, I love this post. It's good to see someone on here who sees the reality of the sport!! :D

I'm about to start a Division 3 baseball career as the other half of the battery and perhaps the greatest type of baseball achievement I can attain is the current career status of Chase Blackwood. I respect anyone who puts the work in to get there, and keeps working to keep moving up. Chase is apparently lucky enough to have the measurable talent to have competed at a high level in college in the first place so I respect him for that as well, he was already eons ahead of me just by virtue of NCAA division status when he was an incoming college freshman like me. Guys like him deserve to relish every moment they get as a pro, and hopefully guys like Chase get to see their work turn into production and see their production turn into advancement opportunity.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 02:09 AM)
Fangraphs updated UZR for catchers significantly this year.

Not for catchers. They've updated UZR, but they're still only using rSB (Stolen Base Runs Saved) for catchers in their WAR values.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
I'm about to start a Division 3 baseball career as the other half of the battery and perhaps the greatest type of baseball achievement I can attain is the current career status of Chase Blackwood. I respect anyone who puts the work in to get there, and keeps working to keep moving up. Chase is apparently lucky enough to have the measurable talent to have competed at a high level in college in the first place so I respect him for that as well, he was already eons ahead of me just by virtue of NCAA division status when he was an incoming college freshman like me. Guys like him deserve to relish every moment they get as a pro, and hopefully guys like Chase get to see their work turn into production and see their production turn into advancement opportunity.

Thank You, I hope for the best for you!! Good luck with everything! :)