Over .500 and within 5 games by the end of the month!

sin city sox fan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
5.5 games back in third place is in the rear view mirror now?

All we as Sox fans can do is be thankful we're not in the AL East. Toronto would almost certainly be leading the division in the AL Central, but they're in 4th place. And all the Sox can do is keep on winning.

Remember when Tampa was on that '27 Yankees like pace? If the Red Sox win tonight, they're in a virtual tie. It's a shame one of those three teams are going to miss the postseason (I hope it's Boston).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm absolutely stunned at the Sox performance the last 4 series, I didn't think they had a stretch like this in them. However, they've basically beaten up crap (although that's not something they were doing all that well, so they deserve some credit). There are only 6 interleague games left, with 3 against the Braves. Need to try and get 2 against them, take care of the Cubs, do well at Kansas City, and then see what happens when July 1 arrives and they begin playing major league opponents again.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)
Remember when Tampa was on that '27 Yankees like pace? If the Red Sox win tonight, they're in a virtual tie. It's a shame one of those three teams are going to miss the postseason (I hope it's Boston).

It's a shame if Tampa misses the postseason. f*** Boston & New York, having the top two payrolls, they should always be there, I won't feel bad if a team with maybe 1/3 of the payroll takes their spot.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)
It's a shame if Tampa misses the postseason. f*** Boston & New York, having the top two payrolls, they should always be there, I won't feel bad if a team with maybe 1/3 of the payroll takes their spot.

Tampa was due for a slump and Boston/NYY were due for runs. They'll be better if they can figure their way out of it.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
I agree with you that they have an opportunity to play their way to .500, but I just don't believe they will continue on a winning clip. That lineup is still very bad, and most of the rotation has been awful as well to this point. While I do think we'll see improved performances from the rotation, when you're depending on guys like Kotsay, Pierre, Jones, and have struggling younger guys (Quentin and Beckham), it's hard to get optimistic that this offense will be anything more than mediocre.

I still feel the same way, although I'm very happy that they've at least given themselves a shot to compete in the division. This has been a very good stretch, and I'm anxious to see how they perform against some tough pitchers that the Braves will throw out. Overall, though, as good as the starting pitching has been of late, I don't see it continuing at this clip and there's still not enough offense to overcome a staff that's not pitching very well.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 07:32 AM)
Okay, so the Sox are over .500 and within five games...on June 22. Now what is the goal for the end of the month? I would say maintain and maybe try to make up another game on the lead.

2 more against the Braves at home, 3 at home against a crappy NL Central team that is 13-21 on the road, and 3 on the road at K.C.

Honestly, we ought to pick up 2 more games on .500 by winning each of these 3 series, now that we've got the first one against the Braves. Picking up more than that means we keep this streak going and sweep one of those teams, and I'm totally ok with that.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 06:32 AM)
Okay, so the Sox are over .500 and within five games...on June 22. Now what is the goal for the end of the month? I would say maintain and maybe try to make up another game on the lead.

No real goal, just keep winning, and see where you see at the end of the month. You just don't want to see an extended setback where they lose 5 of 6. For this home stand, I'd be happy be with a 4-2 record, but it won't be easy - they are going to see some good pitching this week.

You win today and you have more than a legit shot at a 4-2 home stand.

If you are that successful against the Cubs and Braves, you should sweep KC. So I think by the end of this month, we should be 3-5 games over .500.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
When I started this thread, I was hoping to be 5 games back by the end of the month. Now, I'll be pissed if we are 5 games back at the end of the month! First place or bust! :gosox1: :bringit :gosox3:

haha yeah there's still a lot of season left. who knows how this team will respond the next week but it's been great fun the last 2 weeks.

I was just depressed in April because it looked like the season was over before it started and no matter how many times I told myself "it's just April" they'd just slip deeper into ineptitude. May just confirmed all that. Suddenly, here's June and a 9-game winning streak and the team is relevant again. That's really all I wanted.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
+1

I give sin city sox fan complete credit for the turn around. Eerily psychic prediction!

Even I could not have been this optimistic before the winning streak. I was just hoping for an 11-5 stretch.....not an 11 game winning streak. All credit here has to go to the players, Ozzie, and Kenny. I'm just hoping that pull out another 20 or 30 wins before we finally drop a game! :cheers

• 2 weeks later...