July White Sox Catch-All Thread

iamshack

1.) We need to stop wetting the bed up in Minny. No throwing the ball all over the place, no kicking it all over the place, no self defeat because they are the twins. Hit, pitch and catch the ball and we can do well.

Looks like this isn't the year we turn around the Minnie jinx. Without Morneau we get one of four? Yuk.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)
Without Morneau? No way.

Way too many people are gonna let this series get into their head. We are better than the Twins, we should have taken 3 out of 4.

It never makes any sense when people say we "should have" won. Could have won? Yes but not should have. What 3 games exactly should we have won?

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 10:01 AM)
It never makes any sense when people say we "should have" won. Could have won? Yes but not should have. What 3 games exactly should we have won?

Game 4 in this series. You shouldn't lose a game up 3 in the ninth with a $7 million closer. Losing that is a killer. That is a "Should have won" game.

Game 3 I'll count as a "could have won" game, game 2 as well. Game 3 would have taken either a clutch hit or two or a better approach against Pavano's outside breaking pitch by a couple hitters.

Game 2 would have taken some blasted defense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
Game 4 in this series. You shouldn't lose a game up 3 in the ninth with a $7 million closer. Losing that is a killer. That is a "Should have won" game.

Game 3 I'll count as a "could have won" game, game 2 as well. Game 3 would have taken either a clutch hit or two or a better approach against Pavano's outside breaking pitch by a couple hitters.

Game 2 would have taken some blasted defense.

yeah i will agree with that. 2 games we should have won but not 3.

unfortunately closing is part of the game and the twins closed out their two wins when they were ahead a lot better than we did. also we should have scored more runs yesterday which would have made jenks irrelevant.

I'm a guy who generally likes to look at the bright side of things, but I haven't been this upset about losing to Minnesota since the end of 2008 when the Sox got swept in the dome. The first loss was obviously a bit closer than 9-3 (considering the go ahead run was at the plate), but, in a huge coincidence, the Sox lost the final 2 games of that series 3-2 and 7-6.

Thankfully, this was a 4 game series and the Sox won the first one, and they're still up in the standings and don't need a minor miracle to get back into the race.

Without Morneau? No way.

Way too many people are gonna let this series get into their head. We are better than the Twins, we should have taken 3 out of 4.

No way?

They'll be in it the whole way. They have a better team than the Sox and Detroit and they still have the magic for some reason (until they play the Spankees and lose in the first round again).

I just think on paper they are better. I should have said that.

The loss of Peavy is huge. If he's the Peavy of the last few outings, we had a rotation to boast about.

Now two of the five are gutsy Freddy and the unknown Hudson to go with the dependables.

Juan and Omar are still old and a fairly weak 1-2 punch.

AJ looks like he is going to continue having his off year at the plate.

Kotsay/Jones still isn't a very good option.

I think our winning formula is great (pitching), but on paper, I think we're apt to have as rotten a September as we did April/May. Hope I'm wrong again.

Let me put it to you this way in response...

We're in first place (albeit barely) with a Jake Peavy who is 7-6 and who has put up a 4.63 ERA on the season. Yes, he's been better of late...but that run only counterbalanced the awful, awfulness of the first 2 months. We got to 1st place despite those terrible 2 months.

I don't think a .500 record and a 4.6ish ERA is totally out of the question the rest of the way for Hudson.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
I just think on paper they are better. I should have said that.

The loss of Peavy is huge. If he's the Peavy of the last few outings, we had a rotation to boast about.

Now two of the five are gutsy Freddy and the unknown Hudson to go with the dependables.

Juan and Omar are still old and a fairly weak 1-2 punch.

AJ looks like he is going to continue having his off year at the plate.

Kotsay/Jones still isn't a very good option.

I think our winning formula is great (pitching), but on paper, I think we're apt to have as rotten a September as we did April/May. Hope I'm wrong again.

yeah besides having a horrible DH, we also have the worst 1-2 hitters of any AL contender. not a good combo

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
yeah besides having a horrible DH, we also have the worst 1-2 hitters of any AL contender. not a good combo

OTOH, I'd still say we have at least 3 of the best 5 starting pitchers of the 3 teams, maybe 3 of the best 4, and we've got 2 of the best setup men in the division, and the middle of our lineup (depending on Qhealth) can hang with the other guys.

Felix Hernandez will face Floyd on Wednesday and Danks next Monday.

He is 4-1, 1.66 ERA in his last seven starts, but the Mariners are 4-3 in those starts.

And in his 20 starts this season, the Mariners are 9-11.

Sox need to find a way to win at least one of these games.

I just want the Sox to get through the next two weeks at 8-5, and move on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
OTOH, I'd still say we have at least 3 of the best 5 starting pitchers of the 3 teams, maybe 3 of the best 4, and we've got 2 of the best setup men in the division, and the middle of our lineup (depending on Qhealth) can hang with the other guys.

Pavano (if he stays healthy and mustashed) is probably better than MB, but I have no doubt that our pitching (starting and relief) is the best in the race.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
Pavano (if he stays healthy and mustashed) is probably better than MB, but I have no doubt that our pitching (starting and relief) is the best in the race.

And he keeps his .259 BABIP.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
I'm not sure an easy way to do this, but can someone find me Kotsay's slash numbers since June 6?

I don't know how to look that up, but in the past 28 days, he has a .772 OPS, which ain't bad.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
I'm still unsure why everyone wants him released.

A lot of people don't want him released, they just don't want him DHing on what's already a bad offense.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
A lot of people don't want him released, they just don't want him DHing on what's already a bad offense.

A few people have suggested we get rid of him when Teahen gets back.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
A few people have suggested we get rid of him when Teahen gets back.

I don't think there's a ton of value in an American League pinch hitter, especially one who can really only play 1B and has next to no speed or power. That being said I know they love him in the clubhouse and would crumble without him.

I wouldn't care if the Sox DFA'ed him once Teahen gets back. He becomes quite redundant since it would seem like Vizquel is still going to play quite a bit of 3B when Teahen is activated, and Teahen is going to play because of the money he is due. Teahen can play both 1B and the corner outfield spots like Kotsay, but he can also stand to the left of 3B and 2B and field ground balls a little bit too, which is something Kotsay won't do because he throws left handed.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 05:08 PM)
I wouldn't care if the Sox DFA'ed him once Teahen gets back. He becomes quite redundant since it would seem like Vizquel is still going to play quite a bit of 3B when Teahen is activated, and Teahen is going to play because of the money he is due. Teahen can play both 1B and the corner outfield spots like Kotsay, but he can also stand to the left of 3B and 2B and field ground balls a little bit too, which is something Kotsay won't do because he throws left handed.

Yes, to all of this.

But more importantly, many people hope he gets DFA'd because Kenny trades for a better bat. When/if that happens, presumably Viciedo or Lillibridge heads back to AAA for a month.