July White Sox Catch-All Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 09:29 PM)
It's been said thousands on times on this site alone. I think it's pretty fair to say that it will never actually sink in.

i also disagree with kenny giving up lamar hoyt for ozzie

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 08:37 PM)
i also disagree with kenny giving up lamar hoyt for ozzie

Haha....I think LaMarr was more interested in some of the things we have been discussing in the Summer TV thread than in baseball around the fall of 1984...the KW joke notwithstanding...

I thought this was a little funny; from Scott White, fantasy sports writer for CBS sports (I usually don't like his articles):

" Prediction: Carlos Quentin will approach his 2008 numbers.

All of a sudden, Quentin has 19 homers. Who saw that coming a week ago?

When a player hits a homer three times in four games, it's impressive. When a player hits two homers three times in four games, you begin to wonder if he's actually a robot.

Based on the mysterious beginnings of Quentin's hot streak, he might be.

It didn't begin just last week. The 27-year-old outfielder is batting .367 (18 for 49) with 11 home runs over his last 16 games after batting .216 with eight home runs over his first 60. Earlier this month, when MLB.com asked him about the secret of his success, Quentin was suspiciously evasive, almost like his responses were ... programmed.

"Yeah, I'd rather just keep stuff to myself."

Hmm ... because of the social and ethical ramifications of merging man with machine?

Even his hitting coach, Greg Walker, is in on the conspiracy, failing to offer a reasonable explanation for the CQ-1000's -- I mean, Quentin's -- improved performance.

"I think him coming up with a new routine helped him more than anything."

Routine meaning instead of brushing his teeth, he brushes his ... metal teeth?

Perhaps I've gone overboard. Perhaps I've looked at one too many box scores over a 3 1/2-month period and need the All-Star break to unwind. Perhaps his surgically repaired wrist is simply feeling better. Or perhaps, in my baseless and irresponsible speculation, I've uncovered a secret so shocking and horrific that no one will believe me until Jose Canseco writes a book about it.

Either way, I can safely say the Carlos Quentin I fell in love with in 2008 and the Carlos Quentin I've longed for ever since has returned. I have 100 percent -- or 90 percent, accounting for injuries -- confidence in him going forward.

Just don't be surprised if he's the first one off the field during a rain delay. "

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 07:16 AM)
I'm going to bet you that Quentin was hurting, and hurting a lot, in April and May.

From what? I think Quentin's issues had more to do with him just getting his timing back after being hampered by both the wrist injury and foot issues. Because of that he was having timing issues as well as over-agressive issues where he was swinging at bad pitches.

I didn't see any indication while watching him play that he was bothered by any injuries.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
From what? I think Quentin's issues had more to do with him just getting his timing back after being hampered by both the wrist injury and foot issues. Because of that he was having timing issues as well as over-agressive issues where he was swinging at bad pitches.

I didn't see any indication while watching him play that he was bothered by any injuries.

I think you're right on, especially with the wrist injury point. It seems like one of the things that multiple sports have in common is that wrist injuries are difficult to come back from, and take longer than most people think to do so.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
I thought this was a little funny; from Scott White, fantasy sports writer for CBS sports (I usually don't like his articles):

" Prediction: Carlos Quentin will approach his 2008 numbers.

All of a sudden, Quentin has 19 homers. Who saw that coming a week ago?

When a player hits a homer three times in four games, it's impressive. When a player hits two homers three times in four games, you begin to wonder if he's actually a robot.

Based on the mysterious beginnings of Quentin's hot streak, he might be.

It didn't begin just last week. The 27-year-old outfielder is batting .367 (18 for 49) with 11 home runs over his last 16 games after batting .216 with eight home runs over his first 60. Earlier this month, when MLB.com asked him about the secret of his success, Quentin was suspiciously evasive, almost like his responses were ... programmed.

"Yeah, I'd rather just keep stuff to myself."

Hmm ... because of the social and ethical ramifications of merging man with machine?

Even his hitting coach, Greg Walker, is in on the conspiracy, failing to offer a reasonable explanation for the CQ-1000's -- I mean, Quentin's -- improved performance.

"I think him coming up with a new routine helped him more than anything."

Routine meaning instead of brushing his teeth, he brushes his ... metal teeth?

Perhaps I've gone overboard. Perhaps I've looked at one too many box scores over a 3 1/2-month period and need the All-Star break to unwind. Perhaps his surgically repaired wrist is simply feeling better. Or perhaps, in my baseless and irresponsible speculation, I've uncovered a secret so shocking and horrific that no one will believe me until Jose Canseco writes a book about it.

Either way, I can safely say the Carlos Quentin I fell in love with in 2008 and the Carlos Quentin I've longed for ever since has returned. I have 100 percent -- or 90 percent, accounting for injuries -- confidence in him going forward.

Just don't be surprised if he's the first one off the field during a rain delay. "

Hahahaha Cyborg Q!perman...

154390-144255-cyborg-superman_super.jpg

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 11:20 AM)
All of Carlos' issues were mechanical or mental. He's not lacking in physical talent. He's still the same hitter he was in 2008.

Wait, so he is a robot? :P

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
Did he get "Play of the year" or is that for next year? Did his perfect game get on there?

He was up for the award, but R. Rondo won. They showed footage of the perfect game as well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
I assume it was the touchdown to what'shisface against the 49ers. That was a pretty marvelous play.

Yup.

I'd still take Buehrle's or (what I think should have won) that college kid going all Willie Mays Hayes and jumping over the catcher to home.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 02:30 AM)
Kenny was on PTI today, here is the link to the video.

Kenny looks great...I don't think he looks like a guy who's ready to move on from his role as GM, as was speculated.

Kenny on PTI

ESPN has been jumping on the White Sox bandwagon the past day or so and its freaking me out. The White Sox were the first highlights shown on the midnight sportscenter, and they were not playing the Yankees or Red Sox and that never happens.