July White Sox Catch-All Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 11:30 AM)
Batting him behind Konerko is just so idiotic as well, as you're basically begging for Kotsay to hit into a double play. Kotsay needs to be out of baseball, as he can't pull the ball without rolling over on it and when he hits it the other way, he doesn't have the power/ability to hit it into the gap, off the fence, etc.

For the love of God why don't they just DH Viceido?

EDIT: And Carlos

Edited by BigSqwert

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other thing that was lost in the midst of Bobby Jenks' meltdown: Gavin Floyd lowered his ERA to 3.87 and is now has the 6th best WAR among all AL pitchers due to a 3.19 FIP.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 11:45 AM)
I know a lot of people consider Danks our ace but I think Gavin is our best pitcher.

The disparity between his FIP and ERA are still pretty high, I think we'll continue to see him pitch this well for a while. It's just sad that he gets absolutely no run support.

For the love of God why don't they just DH Viceido?

Seems like Sox are back to having Viciedo play hardly at all.

Omar has been sensational, so it would be nice to simply see Viciedo become DH.

I'd go with CQ in right and Dayan at DH since Oz isn't going to stop playing Omar at third.

That isn't going to happen, however. Oz loves Omar, Kotsay and Jones so what we've seen figures to continue.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
Looks like the Tigers will gain a half game today. The Twins most likely will also. Damn that Bobby left a sour taste especially with an off day to dwell on it. Ugh

Yes, I agree. I was quite pissed off that I stayed up to watch that. Makes me even angrier about the blown save.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:16 PM)
With the way the Tigers have been blowing games in the last week, that is hardly a fair comparison.

So because the Tigers have played like crap, the White Sox should be blowing games too? I'm not getting what you're trying to say here.

We'd be 4 games up on the Tigers had Bobby Jenks remembered how to pitch...

Gee it might have helped had the mighty bats scored a couple runs. Two hits in nine innings isn't much.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
So because the Tigers have played like crap, the White Sox should be blowing games too? I'm not getting what you're trying to say here.

If you want to get into the hypothetical thing of "If only," it would be just as easy to say "If only the Tigers hadn't have gotten swept by the Indians"...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
Gee it might have helped had the mighty bats scored a couple runs.

They scored 6 runs in the Twins game Jenks blew. You can't really blame the offense for that game, that was all Bobby Jenks.

And yesterday, they played against one of the best pitchers in baseball. You can blame the offense all you want, but the fact is that they scored runs and put the Sox in a position to win. Jenks then promptly blew the game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
If you want to get into the hypothetical thing of "If only," it would be just as easy to say "If only the Tigers hadn't have gotten swept by the Indians"...

The Tigers didn't blow two saves in the past week in winnable games. What they do is their business, you have to take care of your own. And Jenks hasn't helped our cause in that department.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
The Tigers didn't blow two saves in the past week in winnable games. What they do is their business, you have to take care of your own. And Jenks hasn't helped our cause in that department.

That is a lame excuse to complain about things. If the Tigers had taken care of their business we wouldn't even be in first place. You can complain about Jenks all you want, but you are wasting your time engaging in the fantasy "what if"'s.

Baseball is not a one-man game.

The offense got two hits off a good pitcher.

Then the Sox scored a run and a Seattle player executed a helluva bunt hit.

After that Jenks got beat.

I still say it's not a one-man game. The Sox bats sucked, Bobby sucked. We still won two of three which ain't bad.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
That is a lame excuse to complain about things. If the Tigers had taken care of their business we wouldn't even be in first place. You can complain about Jenks all you want, but you are wasting your time engaging in the fantasy "what if"'s.

Not to mention the Tigers lost two extra innings games, so there you go about the bullpens.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)

I still say it's not a one-man game. The Sox bats sucked, Bobby sucked. We still won two of three which ain't bad.

Instead of a pick to click are we going to start after every game picking "Goat of the Loss?" We should.

You need to stop. We already had to close one thread.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)

Instead of a pick to click are we going to start after every game picking "Goat of the Loss?" We should.

Jenks' WPA yesterday: -.82

Jenks' WPA on Sunday: -.625

He sure made it a one man game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)

Is it not fair to say that Jenks has been a reason this team is 52-42 right now instead of 54-40?

So if that's the case, this team should be two games better right now.

You need to stop. We already had to close one thread.

What was the part to stop, the goat of the game? The rest of the post was OK? I'm responding to somebody talking about Jenks ... again. There are other reasons we lost the game. Baseball is not a one-man game which I pointed out. I'll go back and edit out the goat part.

Is it not fair to say that Jenks has been a reason this team is 52-42 right now instead of 54-40?

I don't think it's fair to say one person ever costs a team a game. I can see your point where the closer is the final person to blow it, however.