Lance Berkman traded to Yankees

Heads22

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 08:09 PM)
good lord people, i'm simply talking about this year at 3B not his career.

I like as the popularity of UZR grows the sample size necessary to use it as an accurate measure of a player's defensive value has shrunk. At one point it was 3 years in order to remove any anomalies now it's down to 300 innings.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)
I like as the popularity of UZR grows the sample size necessary to use it as an accurate measure of a player's defensive value has shrunk. At one point it was 3 years in order to remove any anomalies now it's down to 300 innings.

It is fair to say that Omar hasn't been incredibly good over at 3B. I think it might be our perception that he's really good since Teahen sucked so much and we had to live through Fields and Betemit last year.

It's not discredit to Omar's ability as a fielder though.

I will say that I am very grateful for his defense he has provided at the hot corner, and his .761 OPS since Teahen went down. But I'm with chw42 in that slightly below average looks light years better than the butcher he replaced.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:20 PM)
The only problem with Vizquel's defense is that his arm is a noodle at this point in his career. Otherwise, he has been very good, but not great.

Yeah, he hasn't been great. I'd say he's been decent over there, I'm not going to totally believe what UZR says with a small sample size.

QUOTE (clown baby @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
Does anybody else really like the idea of keeping Morel long term? He's been praised for his defense, and that would be great to have an elite infield of Morel, Alexei, and Beckham. That would be spectacular.

Put me down for this. It's been a pleasure to watch a good defensive team, for once. And one that puts the ball in play, too. Morel's the kind of guy we should be grooming, not trading.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 06:02 PM)
As stated above, the Cantu trade takes them out of the Berkman sweepstakes.

Not unless they plan on having Cantu play 2B while Kinsler is out and then using Cantu as a utility player when Kinsler comes back. Obviously they'd be sacrificing a lot of D, but their offense would be even scarier with Berkman and Cantu being involved.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 06:45 PM)
Berkman since June 1st .259/.385/.465 .850 OPS and he even has 3 SB over that stretch, for July hes batting .233/.404/.521 .925 OPS. In June he was sporting an above average wOBA of .357 for July .392 inching closer to his career mark of .405. Lance is also holding it down with the glove 2.7 UZR.

for some perspective Konerko has been a -6.8 UZR at 1B.

And you know damn well Konerko is still going to be the 1B if the sox get Berkman regardless if he's better defensively.

MLB Trade Rumors: White Sox Eyeing Astros First Baseman Lance Berkman

By Bob Warja (Featured Columnist) on July 29, 2010

Rebuked in their efforts to obtain Adam Dunn and Prince Fielder, the White Sox have turned to Houston in an effort to bolster the left-handed side of their lineup.

The Astros are definitely willing to part with Berkman, who is having a rough season in Houston.

The 'Stros first baseman is hitting just .245, though he has an impressive .372 OBP. He has drawn 60 walks, but his power totals are down from his career averages.

After averaging 33 homers per 162 games in his career, Berkman is on pace to bag 22 this year. But this is in line with his recent play, as he has hit 29 and 25 the last two seasons, following campaigns of 45 and 35 the previous two years.

The White Sox, who look to be on their way to the postseason, may be looking to Berkman for his playoff experience as well as his switch-hitting bat. He has a .321/.428/.566 slash in 29 career postseason games.

Berkman has a no-trade clause and can veto any deal. About $5.4 million remains on Berkman's $14.5 million salary this season. The Astros hold a $15 million option for next year, but they can buy it out for $2 million.

Astros GM Ed Wade thinks that recently acquired Brett Wallace is their heir apparent at first base to Berkman.

Meanwhile, the Sox would likely look to Berkman to be their DH the rest of this season and possibly replace Paul Konerko at first if the free-agent-to-be leaves as expected.

Unlike Dunn or Fielder, the Sox could potentially obtain Berkman without having to consider moving Gordon Beckham, who is off-limits now to other clubs.

In fact, depending on how much of Berkman's contract they are willing to assume, the Sox may be able to get the slugging first baseman without even having to surrender Daniel Hudson.

Another potential target for Sox GM Kenny Williams is Colorado's Brad Hawpe, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post. Hawpe has a disappointing .259/.337/.439 line. The 31-year-old has about $2.8MM remaining on his contract this year and will earn $10MM in 2011 with a $500K buyout.

Of course, it's also possible that the trade deadline passes without any movement from the Sox. While this does not seem very Kenny Williams-like, the asking price on many of the available players has simply been astronomical this year.

Berkman to the Sox has legs, and those legs could be off and running as soon as Friday.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
MLB Trade

Of course, it's also possible that the trade deadline passes without any movement from the Sox. While this does not seem very Kenny Williams-like, the asking price on many of the available players has simply been astronomical this year.

It's a combination of that and the fact the system is thinner than this:z83671547.jpg

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 09:24 PM)
Put me down for this. It's been a pleasure to watch a good defensive team, for once. And one that puts the ball in play, too. Morel's the kind of guy we should be grooming, not trading.

Agree completely.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 07:45 PM)
Berkman since June 1st .259/.385/.465 .850 OPS and he even has 3 SB over that stretch, for July hes batting .233/.404/.521 .925 OPS. In June he was sporting an above average wOBA of .357 for July .392 inching closer to his career mark of .405. Lance is also holding it down with the glove 2.7 UZR.

For a little comparison

Dunn since June 1st .276/.345/.558 .903 OPS, for July .278/.363/.557 .920 OPS. His June wOBA .370, July wOBA .391. Adam is slightly below average with his glove -0.6.

for some perspective Konerko has been a -6.8 UZR at 1B.

Honestly the way this trade deadline has looked thus far, it appears most teams are still suffering some fiscal hardships, ideally Berkman could be had with some cash in hand from the astros for some mid level prospects of the non Hudson, Viciedo, Flowers, Morel variety.

And if that doesn't work hold off and make the stretch run with what we have currently on our roster. Put Teahen in RF TL;DR Quentin = DYE in RF. Also teahen was putting up this line in the 10 games before he hit the DL .364/.389/.545 with 4 extra base hits. If the sox do that we improve our outfield defense, and can hope to keep CQ healthy for the stretch run, while actually having a slightly below competent defender at 3B (Vizquel).

His basic splits are pretty jarring:

AVG. OPS

VS. LHP: .188 / .559

VS. RHP: .261 / .874

HOME: .287 / .896

AWAY: .194 / .700

Berkman to the Sox has Griffey in '08 all over it.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
His basic splits are pretty jarring:

AVG. OPS

VS. LHP: .188 / .559

VS. RHP: .261 / .874

HOME: .287 / .896

AWAY: .194 / .700

Berkman to the Sox has Griffey in '08 all over it.

last 28 days his tOPS+ is 138 and sOPS+ is 160 with a raw OPS of .966... that includes his suckfest numbers against LHP, luckily with Ozzie's want to rotate guys he can start Berkman against all RHPs either at DH or 1b and have Andruw Jones start against LHPs who he is hitting decently this year... Berkman would have the potential to make a far bigger impact than Griffey in 08

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
last 28 days his tOPS+ is 138 and sOPS+ is 160 with a raw OPS of .966... that includes his suckfest numbers against LHP, luckily with Ozzie's want to rotate guys he can start Berkman against all RHPs either at DH or 1b and have Andruw Jones start against LHPs who he is hitting decently this year... Berkman would have the potential to make a far bigger impact than Griffey in 08

Yeah, in a DH/1B platoon, Fat Elvis Berkman might be a nice pickup, but seriously he had better not face AL LHP EVER.

I think berkman would be a good addition. He would rake at the Cell although the Juice bOX is similar to us cellular. I also was watching MLB trade deadline special and Dave Justice (Astros beat writer) said Berkman was "upset" the astros accommendated Oswalt and didn't look to be moving him [berkman] (as of 2pm). He also said the Astros were looking for 4 prospects (not all MLB or triple A ready). He may relish playing for a contender and be just as good as Dunn.

Anybody know how he performed in the 05' playoffs/world series? It would be interesting to see what kind of playoff player he was/is. I think the stros have only made it that once with him.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 11:44 PM)
I think berkman would be a good addition. He would rake at the Cell although the Juice bOX is similar to us cellular. I also was watching MLB trade deadline special and Dave Justice (Astros beat writer) said Berkman was "upset" the astros accommendated Oswalt and didn't look to be moving him [berkman] (as of 2pm). He also said the Astros were looking for 4 prospects (not all MLB or triple A ready). He may relish playing for a contender and be just as good as Dunn.

Anybody know how he performed in the 05' playoffs/world series? It would be interesting to see what kind of playoff player he was/is. I think the stros have only made it that once with him.

He has a .992 OPS in 129 PAs in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:52 AM)
Man would that be amazing, a Berkman and Jackson from AZ trade would be great additions. And at the most it hopefuly would only cost us at the MOST maybe Hudson and one of the trio with the rest being fillers for both players.

But Jackson is set to make 8.65 million next year. Yuck.

I've always love his stuff and have followed him since his debut with the Dodgers.

The Sox might seem him as being able to reach his potential and become an ace - therefore, being worth the price tag next year.

Then again, as others have mentioned - it could be that we just wanna flip him.

Oh joy - I sure do love the trade deadline.

Does anyone else feel like it's a holiday? :)