White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

the manny and HOF and roids thing is an entire different arguement that probably deserves multiple, multiple lengthy threads....that said, i still absolutely would want the guy DHing for this team the rest of the year

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:03 PM)
Didn't the same thing happen in Washington with them sitting out trading Soriano before?

Can't remember exactly what was the situation...I guess Bowden was the GM then, right?

Yeah, there were rumors all around about Soriano, I believe KW was in on it, and they sat on him, I believe they got draft compensation for him, but not sure what that turned into

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
I'll pass. He's injury-prone (and currently injured), he's declined significantly, he can't play defense, he has a bad attitude, and he's a former PED user. I like Jones better than Manny.

Ironic that you talk about liking Jones more than Manny while saying Manny was a former PED user.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
I have a feeling you're underestimating how crazy Rizzo is.

I believe he has been said to be a cocksuker.

Not in a homosexual sense - more along the derogatory line.

Cocksucker.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
I'm good with it...anything would be an upgrade over seeing Kotsay. I just hope we don't trade Viciedo.

Send them Marquez in the deal and maybe you could finally let go of your Swisher trade angst. :P

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)
Yeah, there were rumors all around about Soriano, I believe KW was in on it, and they sat on him, I believe they got draft compensation for him, but not sure what that turned into

That must have been 2006, I remember the deal was Soriano for McCarthy...

I'm not a big "clubhouse chemistry" guy, but in a season like this, with a comeback run like they've had, the 2010 White Sox are feeding off of it.

Manny is in the top 5 players that could f**k up that chemistry. Talk about a disconnect between front office and field.

Couple of quick thoughts...

1. I'd love to have Manny and the Sox have done a great job over the past 10 years or so of keeping "injury prone"

players more healthy than other teams have been able to (TCQ being the main exception).

2. I don't understand the posts about Manny nostalgia. He's never been a White Sox. There would be nothing nostalgic

for me about seeing Manny in a White Sox uniform.

3. I really don't want Viciedo to be dealt... hmmm...

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:03 PM)
Pretty sure Maggs was a juicer, based on the Ozzie comments after he left the team.

I think there was a chance also. Just not sure how many people would have gotten away with that with big #35 in that locker room. If he wanted it gone I think it was at least out of the locker room.

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
Couple of quick thoughts...

1. I'd love to have Manny and the Sox have done a great job over the past 10 years or so of keeping "injury prone"

players more healthy than other teams have been able to (TCQ being the main exception).

Like who?

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
Jermaine Dye.

The work that the staff did with Thome to get as much out of him they did on a regular basis was incredible too, I know he had a few injuries, but Thome and the staff worked so hard to get him out there as much as they did.

Manny's injury worries me cause it sounds like it could come back at any time. But if that checks out, I would love the move. Clubhouse issues don't worry me with Ozzie in the clubhouse and Manny will have all the motivation in the world. He's a FA after the season and right now very few teams would be willing to give him much next year. He needs a great end of the season to show teams that he can still be a difference-maker in the middle of the lineup or he could be done.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
Isn't Jurassic a confirmed juicer? Also, I'm going to be cryptic, and I've IM'd a mod the name before, but there was at least one other juicer on the 05 team

Who was the other guy?

Again, I'd love Manny because he would be motivated again. He probably didn't need to go on the DL, but the Dodgers overall are not playing good playoff ball.

Manny likes Ozzie, I'm sure likes the city, will be playing for a contract and the playoffs. Didn't Manny want to come here after the '05 season but our front office say no? I remember reading that somewhere.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
The work that the staff did with Thome to get as much out of him they did on a regular basis was incredible too, I know he had a few injuries, but Thome and the staff worked so hard to get him out there as much as they did.

Yeah - nobody wanted to touch Thome because of his back issues...

I think they're credited for keeping Crede on the field as long as they were able to as well.

There are other guys... I don't know.