White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)
The one thing to remember...Manny's had less than 200 PA's this season for a reason. Even at DH...they may baby him somewhat to try to keep him healthy. Especially with an expanded roster.

I seriously doubt that playing him 30 straight games at DH is in the cards.

You might be right, but I will say that with each and every game from here on out being of critical importance, if Manny is healthy, he will be in the line-up. Maybe one or two days off between now and the end, but that'll be about it. We need him!!!

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
I am sure the 23,000 fans that went out there on as a beautiful night as there could be last night to watch a team in the pennant race will agree with you.

Manny Ramirez can do things nobody since Frank Thomas and to some degree not even he could do sorry he did PED's so did other teams. Tehy got Canseco and there was no question there. Teh holier than thou approach is fine but it will not win.....I wonder how many yankee fans want A-Rod gone.

They are not honoring Thomas because he was clean they are honoring him because he hit the s*** of a baseball just like Manny.

I couldn't agree more with this first statement, as I wrote a couple days ago when this rumor started sprouting legs. But the 'roid-raged posters flamed me, too.

I didn't know after acne, head growth and testicular shrinkage came diminished typing abilities; you learn something new every day.

The question remains whether to remain fans of Chicago's entry in the World Baseball Federation, formerly known as the MLB. Bringing Manny aboard is, in my opinion, very different than acknowledging that all teams have been part of the steroid era. This is a guy suspended 50 games LAST YEAR for PEDs.

To the comment about A-Roid, I would guess plenty of Yankee fans would love for Alex to just go away, as I and others would really like for Manny to just stay away. Victory claimed by cheaters is hollow at best.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
This is Manny Ramirez we are talking about, he of the .934 OPS against righthanded pitchers this year and earning $4 million dollars next month Ramirez'. He will NOT be platooning with Mark Kotsay of all people.

Ozzie. Nuff said.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
To the comment about A-Roid, I would guess plenty of Yankee fans would love for Alex to just go away, as I and others would really like for Manny to just stay away. Victory claimed by cheaters is hollow at best.

I think you underestimate how much Yankee fans care about winning the WS.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
Ken_Rosenthal

#Dodgers GM Colletti covering his bases. Could trade or dump Manny on #WhiteSox. Could trade Lilly. Could do nothing. #MLB

Huh? Where did the Lilly part come from?

I don't think KW's going to mistake Ramirez for Lilly.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
I couldn't agree more with this first statement, as I wrote a couple days ago when this rumor started sprouting legs. But the 'roid-raged posters flamed me, too.

I didn't know after acne, head growth and testicular shrinkage came diminished typing abilities; you learn something new every day.

The question remains whether to remain fans of Chicago's entry in the World Baseball Federation, formerly known as the MLB. Bringing Manny aboard is, in my opinion, very different than acknowledging that all teams have been part of the steroid era. This is a guy suspended 50 games LAST YEAR for PEDs.

There is as much speculation about Rowand as anyone. How is he doing in the clean world of baseball and how does this make 2005 feel for you if he is guilty.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
Okay, so now that they have acquired him, what do we owe this fool and how does that impact the payroll next year?

The White Sox will owe manny about $4 million total. I've read 1 report that says up to $3 million of that money is deferred. This really shouldn't impact payroll next year at all, given that it'll help us stay in a pennant race. However, we do have the option of re-signing him if an agreement can be arranged.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
How is he doing in the clean world of baseball

He had a spectacular year with the Phils in 2007. His numbers in S.F. have declined, but everyone expected that when he got into that huge ballpark. His OPS in the giant S.F. stadium in 2008 and 2009 were higher than his 2005 numbers with the Sox.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
By the way...something worth pointing out. Any trade has to be completed by Tuesday, right? Wednesday is the day the rosters expand. so I think someone would have to be sent down or DL'd to clear the roster spot for him on Tuesday...which is only important in that the person sent down couldn't be called back up when the rosters expand.

Great thing about Thornton and Putz being on the DL is that you've got 2 guys on the 25 man MLB roster, who you certainly wouldn't be worried about bringing to the playoffs.