White Sox make no last minute deals

southsider2k5

Well, let's see.

Three in a row versus us, they did lose 2/3 at home to Cleveland.

But then the really easy part of schedule, like we had, 3/4 from the Orioles, swept the Royals 3 in a row, then 2 in a row over the Mariners.

The only thing that's disappointing is that the two best Mariners starters (Fister and Felix) didn't win at least one of those games.

It will be interesting to see which Detroit team shows up to face us next week...the one from the last two weeks or the team about to sweep the Red Sox in Boston with Verlander on the bump.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know they've been on fire since a certain closer went dookie in his pants a few weeks back, right? tongue.gif

IMO, they kicked our ass that entire series as they usually do. Bobby didn't give them any significant mojo more than they always have. The Twins beat us 3-4 w/out Morneau. They own us. Thanks to Thome we won that playoff game which we only won because of the coin flip.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 12:20 AM)
Well, let's see.

Three in a row versus us, they did lose 2/3 at home to Cleveland.

But then the really easy part of schedule, like we had, 3/4 from the Orioles, swept the Royals 3 in a row, then 2 in a row over the Mariners.

The only thing that's disappointing is that the two best Mariners starters (Fister and Felix) didn't win at least one of those games.

It will be interesting to see which Detroit team shows up to face us next week...the one from the last two weeks or the team about to sweep the Red Sox in Boston with Verlander on the bump.

Boston won today(technically yesterday) so I don't see how Detroit can sweep.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 12:33 AM)
IMO, they kicked our ass that entire series as they usually do. Bobby didn't give them any significant mojo more than they always have. The Twins beat us 3-4 w/out Morneau. They own us. Thanks to Thome we won that playoff game which we only won because of the coin flip.

I don't get how you can call me negative yet you think the Twins are going to win the division rather easily. I never said we couldn't win the division. I just think we'd get smoked by any one of NY, Tampa or Texas.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 12:33 AM)

If not for an alex rios dropped ball we would have destroyed them in game 1, and if not for bobby jenks we would have destroyed them in game 4. Not seeing where they outplayed us that series at all. In fact the only game they completely outplayed us in was the friday game.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 01:00 AM)
Boston won today(technically yesterday) so I don't see how Detroit can sweep.

Ooops, I fell asleep here in Thailand and had assumed they had won.

Valverde's had a rough two games in a row. He was probably one of the best three-five relievers in baseball before this weekend.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 01:25 AM)
Ooops, I fell asleep here in Thailand and had assumed they had won.

Valverde's had a rough two games in a row. He was probably one of the best three-five relievers in baseball before this weekend.

Watch him put it back together vs us.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 01:39 AM)
Now that I look at the box score valverde didnt even pitch Phil Coke blew it.

Valverde threw 61 pitches to close out Friday's win, so probably got Saturday off. He gave up a grand slam on Friday to Big Papi but Detroit still won the game.

Ortiz has 7 RBIs in the 9th inning of the last two games vs. Detroit

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 04:46 AM)
You know they've been on fire since a certain closer went dookie in his pants a few weeks back, right? :P

You know what I want to point out, when the white sox have a great win in an otherwise dismal season we always say "okay, this will ignite the season", and you know what, it doesn't. Because it doesn't mean s***. the twins were just playing s***ty baseball, and now they are playing what they are capable of.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 01:03 AM)
If not for an alex rios dropped ball we would have destroyed them in game 1, and if not for bobby jenks we would have destroyed them in game 4. Not seeing where they outplayed us that series at all. In fact the only game they completely outplayed us in was the friday game.

"If not for"......but those things did happen and regardless of who outplayed whom, the Twins always seem to beat us.

Looking at Edwin Jacksons game logs over the last three years shows that his record is as follows:

vs AL teams not including Sox 28-13 ERA 3.81

vs Sox 2-5 ERA 7.11

vs NL 3-12 ERA 5.95

Obviously, the Sox love fastball pitchers and own Edwin.

The NL is a fastball hitting league and they hammer Edwin.

The AL is a offspeed league and Edwin owns them.

Unless the Sox make the World Series, Edwin will not face the Sox or the NL this year.

That puts him in his comfort zone. I think he will be a good addition,and can help the Sox the next 1.33 seasons.

He will cost the Sox roughly 9.5 million more in that span than Hudson..but he has won 26 more games vs the AL over the last three years than Hudson,who has won 2.

He has a good ground ball ratio of 51% which works in Soxpark with our defense.

He owns Detroit and Cleveland,two teams we play a lot the next two months. He is already scheduled to pitch vs Detroit twice in the next 10 days.

I like the Jackson deal.

QUOTE (Hawk09 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 11:35 AM)
He will cost the Sox roughly 9.5 million more in that span than Hudson..but he has won 26 more games vs the AL over the last three years than Hudson,who has won 2.

That's a great point. It's amazing that Jackson could win that many games in 85 starts over the last three years, while Hudson could only win two in his 5 CAREER MAJOR LEAGUE STARTS. Jackson has also lost 17 more games against the AL then Hudson has in that time. What is this? Fun with sample sizes? Jackson has won more games them me in the last 8 years too.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Hawk09 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 10:35 AM)
Looking at Edwin Jacksons game logs over the last three years shows that his record is as follows:

vs AL teams not including Sox 28-13 ERA 3.81

vs Sox 2-5 ERA 7.11

vs NL 3-12 ERA 5.95

Obviously, the Sox love fastball pitchers and own Edwin.

The NL is a fastball hitting league and they hammer Edwin.

The AL is a offspeed league and Edwin owns them.

Unless the Sox make the World Series, Edwin will not face the Sox or the NL this year.

That puts him in his comfort zone. I think he will be a good addition,and can help the Sox the next 1.33 seasons.

He has a good ground ball ratio of 51% which works in Soxpark with our defense.

He owns Detroit and Cleveland,two teams we play a lot the next two months. He is already scheduled to pitch vs Detroit twice in the next 10 days.

I like the Jackson deal.

This is one of the worst posts ever. lol.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 12:31 PM)
I'm sorry. But when you say Jackson has won 26 more games over the last three years than Hudson you're just begging to get criticized.

All it is proving is that Jackson is more of a reliable pitcher then Hudson at this time.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
All it is proving is that Jackson is more of a reliable pitcher then Hudson at this time.

They're are MUCH better ways to prove that than using Jackson's win total from the last three years vs a guy with 6 career starts. That's like me saying "Hey, Ted Lilly is more proven than that Strasburg guy because he has more wins since 2007."

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
They're are MUCH better ways to prove that than using Jackson's win total from the last three years vs a guy with 6 career starts. That's like me saying "Hey, Ted Lilly is more proven than that Strasburg guy because he has more wins since 2007."

Ted Lilly is more proven then Strasburg.