The Chris Sale Thread

Quin

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 03:11 AM)
Amazingly, Chris Sale has been on the roster two days and we don't have a thread about him and it seems odd.

Anyone know the last time a player got drafted and was up in the bigs before the rosters expanded?

2003, Reds 1st RD pick Ryan Wagner.

Don't bother looking up his career, he doesn't have one anymore.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 05:56 AM)
Pete Incaviglia and Jim Abbott went right from the draft to the majors. Neither spent any time in the minors.

Both of those guys (along with Mike Leake) did not make their debut until the next season, though. Ryan Wagner was in the majors about a month after the draft.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)
Except Ozzie loves the lefty-lefty matchups, so I'd expect Sale to get a decent amount of use if he proves effective from the get go.

I agree. If Thornton is unavailable one day and a tough lefty matchup comes up late in the game, I can definitely see Ozzie going for it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
I agree. If Thornton is unavailable one day and a tough lefty matchup comes up late in the game, I can definitely see Ozzie going for it.

They're not going to give him his first outing in a tough matchup if they can help it. With D1 on the mound today and the G tomorrow, we ought to be able to build up a big enough lead in 1 of these games that if he gives up a baserunner or two it doesn't kill us.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)
What are the Sox longterm plans for Sale? "Lefty one out" guy, reliever, starter?

I think they'd love for him to be a starter and given the fact it appears he can throw 3 different pitches for strikes (from what I have heard) it seems he has enough to be a starter. Whether that plays out or not is anyone's guess by my understanding is they'd love for him to compete for a spot in the rotation next year...

I wouldn't be surprised if Sale makes his debut in a big situation...or at least a close game. Unless Danks goes 8+ innings, they're probably going to need him tonight because Ozzie is going to want to keep Thornton, Putz, Santos, and Jenks out of this game tonight.

What are the Sox longterm plans for Sale? "Lefty one out" guy, reliever, starter?

Starter

At least that's the plan right now. Give him some splash exposure to mlb this year as a reliever... fulfill the promise we made to bring him up this year in exchange for him accepting a slot bonus... return him to a starting role next year.

If it were "Lefty one out" guy, then a lot of people, including KW, should be fired. No team in their right mind would ever draft a guy in the first round who they project to be a LOOGY in the long-run.

I think the hope is he can develop into a starter, but if not, he should be a pretty damn good left-handed setup man.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 12:25 PM)
If it were "Lefty one out" guy, then a lot of people, including KW, should be fired. No team in their right mind would ever draft a guy in the first round who they project to be a LOOGY in the long-run.

I think the hope is he can develop into a starter, but if not, he should be a pretty damn good left-handed setup man.

^^I love getting the official White Sox take on things.