Game Thread 8/10: MIN v CWS, 7:10pm

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 10:09 PM)
If you don't have a suitable replacement lined up then don't get rid of him.

EVERYONE across this board and baseball didnt think Thome had this production in him, and thats including the Twins. They thought we was a part timer, turns out he had one last season in the tank. Everyone on here last season thought he was done.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 10:06 PM)
99 percent of the people on here didnt want Thome back while watching him last season. Hindsight is a fun game.

Exactly why people running baseball organizations shouldn't be swayed by fan message boards and talk radio.

The fact that fans didn't want our best offensive player to come back for pennies is mind boggling.

The fact that he was blamed so often last year for Sox offensive failures was just bizarro world.

Sigh...

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 04:16 AM)
It hurts losing to a team that still looks better on paper, whose GM actually went out looking to fill the holes on their roster this offseason. At least we got Ozzie to admit this is the best team he's ever managed.

This Sox team is the best he's ever managed? WHAT? I'll take the 2006 roster over this one in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 10:11 PM)
Everyone on here last season thought he was done.

I never thought he was done... but I was making my case somewhere else.

He signed for $1.5 million.

There is ZERO risk in that contract and only reward.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 10:09 PM)
Berkman would have been nice but he wanted to spoon with Pettite. It sucks, but thats the way it is.

Ha. Yeah... what's with the weird Pettitte/Clemens, Pettitte/Berkman Astros/Yankees stuff.

Do players fall madly in love with Pettitte wherever he goes?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
It hurts losing to a team that still looks better on paper, whose GM actually went out looking to fill the holes on their roster this offseason. At least we got Ozzie to admit this is the best team he's ever managed.

I'll take our starting pitching and bullpen on paper and in real life over the Twins every day of the week.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 11:26 PM)
I'll take our starting pitching and bullpen on paper and in real life over the Twins every day of the week.

I'd be perfectly fine with a group of middling starters, if my offense and defense is assured to fill up a lot of that void. The Twins have that. They don't have superstars at every position, but what they do have is fairly dependable production from the key spots in their order. The Twins are as versatile, as the Sox want to be.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
I'd be perfectly fine with a group of middling starters, if my offense and defense is assured to fill up a lot of that void. The Twins have that. They don't have superstars at every position, but what they do have is fairly dependable production from the key spots in their order. The Twins are as versatile, as the Sox want to be.

And a first round sweep year in and year out. WOoooooooooo twinnnnnnssssss

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
I never thought he was done... but I was making my case somewhere else.

He signed for $1.5 million.

There is ZERO risk in that contract and only reward.

That sounds like a good idea. But it's not always practical to implement. Think about it...

Thome was one of the highest paid players on the team... And an acknowledged team and clubhouse leader.

And then one year later, in the same clubhouse, he would be a part time guy and one of the lowest paid veterans in the room.

I don't believe Kenny or Ozzie wanted to put Thome in that situation.

You can make those types of changes much more easily when you move to a new team.

So, IMO... this is exactly why we let him go...

Despite the logic (to us) of keeping him around at a bargain price.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 09:07 PM)
But we all assumed he would be replaced by a major league bat and not Mark Kotsay.

This. I remember that "99 percent" was much, much lower around late December/early January when Ozzie was saying 'rotate DH' after Kotsay re-signed and Jones was signed. That was when most of the posters wanted Jim back. (unless we got Damon or any other solid bat) Ozzie falls in love way too much on sample sizes.

I just wish this team showed some fight and some balls at some point. For christ sakes...get riled up once in a while. I know I'm not in the clubhouse or dugout...but goddamn does this team come out flat a lot of the time.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 11:10 PM)
I just wish this team showed some fight and some balls at some point. For christ sakes...get riled up once in a while. I know I'm not in the clubhouse or dugout...but goddamn does this team come out flat a lot of the time.

Sshhhhh shhhh shhhh, that would ruin our precious clubhouse chemistry!!!!!!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 10:06 PM)
99 percent of the people on here didnt want Thome back while watching him last season. Hindsight is a fun game.

In my hindsight I wanted Vlad Guerrero over Thome. I stick with my call on that. Never in a million years did I think we would be rocking a sub 700 OPS DH platoon in a pennant race in August.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 11:11 PM)
EVERYONE across this board and baseball didnt think Thome had this production in him, and thats including the Twins. They thought we was a part timer, turns out he had one last season in the tank. Everyone on here last season thought he was done.

They thought he was a part timer...They're using him like a part timer! The Sox could desperately use a part timer right now. There's nothing a priori wrong with using the DH spot to get people extra rest...the problem is putting guys there who genuinely don't belong there when everyone else on your roster doesn't need the rest.