Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)
Speaking of compliance, how does every school get away with giving every player a set of 300 dollar headphones

I don't know if the school has to be the ones giving them, but I know the players get gifts for making it to certain tourneys. The Preseason NIT and CBE final fours for example. Maybe others too, but I know those for sure. It's similar to bowl packages.

I'd also join the pay bracket.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 03:42 PM)
Speaking of compliance, how does every school get away with giving every player a set of 300 dollar headphones

You aren't kidding dude, especially the football team here at Purdue. Even the equipment managers have them.

BTW this $10 pot, I'm in.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
You aren't kidding dude, especially the football team here at Purdue. Even the equipment managers have them.

BTW this $10 pot, I'm in.

Thats alot of dough, 300 bucks a pop for the Beat by Dre headphones which every bball player seems to have for the past 3 or 4 years.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
Just saw the highlights of this... That's as bad of a loss as you'll see.

Yep. Absolute disgrace. I don't think I've ever seen something so pathetic. Every chance to fail in the last minute they did. The worst case scenario was every play. Unreal.

I really cant see Penn State beating Wisconsin tomorrow on a neutral floor. Wisconsin should have beat them @ PSU but Battle caught fire and scored 20 points in the 2nd half (PSU scored 36 in the second compared to 20 in the first). Furthermore PSU had 20 ft attempts to Wisconsin's 3. Wisconsin had 20 fouls to PSU's 10 and had 2 players foul out, Gasser and Taylor, plus Leuer had 4.

That being said, PSU has to first beat Indiana, which I wouldnt say is a sure thing.

Does Michigan State not care anymore? Only up 2 at half on Iowa. Unless they make it to semi's, I don't think they should make the tourney. Don't care about SOS and RPI. They just aren't good enough.

Miami seems like they are always good for a win in the ACC Tournament. So I took their team total over 63. I was watching the PBP on the cell and turned it off when they were down 50-39. Few minutes later I get back in the car and I hear it's going into overtime. Unreal.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
Does Michigan State not care anymore? Only up 2 at half on Iowa. Unless they make it to semi's, I don't think they should make the tourney. Don't care about SOS and RPI. They just aren't good enough.

They don't. Neither does Illinois unless they make the championship game.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)

In recent years no they wouldn't deserve a seed, but this year is so damn weak.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 06:19 PM)

May I ask what powerhouse teams you have in ahead of them? Illinois is in even if they lose to Michigan tomorrow.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 06:19 PM)

Illinois has about a 90 percent chance of getting in if they lose tomorrow and 99 percent if they win. Most years, their resume isn't cutting it. But with 68 teams and a bad bubble, they'll be hard pressed not to be included.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 09:39 PM)
Illinois has about a 90 percent chance of getting in if they lose tomorrow and 99 percent if they win. Most years, their resume isn't cutting it. But with 68 teams and a bad bubble, they'll be hard pressed not to be included.

Maybe, but I think we all know Illinois is not actually a tournament quality team. And I am not sure they will make it in. Using ESPN's bubble watch as a guide, there's like 10 spots for 14 bubble teams (unless I miscounted). I can easily come up with 10 bubble teams I'd take over Illinois:

Utah St, UAB, Georgia, BC, Saint Mary's, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Colorado, Nebraska, Alabama

And there's probably more (Michigan...maybe USC....probably some mid-majors with lousy RPIs but who have actually won a bunch of games which Illinois did not). The expansion of the field helps Illinois a lot, but I think until you know if there are any upsets for the automatic bids, it's really hard to say. I don't think Illinois is in now and I don't think beating Michigan moves them to safely in. In fact, unless they beat tOSU they should be sweating.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)
I can easily come up with 10 bubble teams I'd take over Illinois:

Utah St, UAB, Georgia, BC, Saint Mary's, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Colorado, Nebraska, Alabama

I am glad you are not on the committee. No way in hell Nebraska gets in. And UAB's best win is uh...VCU I guess? The rest of the teams all have a case to be made, but not at the expense of Illinois.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)
Maybe, but I think we all know Illinois is not actually a tournament quality team. And I am not sure they will make it in. Using ESPN's bubble watch as a guide, there's like 10 spots for 14 bubble teams (unless I miscounted). I can easily come up with 10 bubble teams I'd take over Illinois:

I agree that losing to Michigan could make it interesting if enough auto bids get snatched by teams that wouldn't be in, but Nebraska? That's a major reach after they lost to Oklahoma State.

I was thinking how sure I was going to have Mizzou lose in the first round to whatever 7-10 seed they play and then I looked at bracketology for those seeds. Holy hell those teams are bad.