Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
Pearl was definitely in the wrong regarding the Illinois situation. It was a low thing to do. But it was 20+ years ago. Let it go. It didn't affect the program like most Illinois fans claim it did.

Illinois fans are pissed b/c they think the program would have been "Duke-esque" over the last 20 years if they hadn't gone on probation due to the NCAA investigation that stemmed from Pearl's allegations. Literally, I have been told by Illinois fans that you guys would have been as good as Duke if Pearl hadn't brought on the NCAA investigation.

Well, guess what? If Illinois hadn't been cheating, they wouldn't have gotten in trouble. Pearl should not have brought light onto the program with the Deon Thomas accusations, but Illinois was still committing multiple NCAA violations and it's their fault for that. They deserved what they got.

I do agree with you on one thing. Pearl should be suspended from coaching for at least a year (maybe two) for his violations.

You need to read up on your history and ignore the extreme Illinois fans. The entire thing was fabricated by Pearl. No cheating was ever found. And it did screw Illinois for a number of years. I wouldn't claim they would be on equal footing as the Duke program, but they had a chance to make a lot of noise in the 90's but couldn't. They had to wait until the early 00's to make their run. The fact that he was ignored by all of D1 for 20 years should tell you something about him. He should be banned from ever coaching again. How you can employ someone who not only cheated, but lied about cheating, and then lied about lying about cheating? Why do you think they put tennessee as the 8-9 game? Does the NCAA really want to celebrate a cheater like that? Nope.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not just saying this because Clemson is playing well (I can't actually see the game but they are winning) but does anyone else think playing in the play in game will actually be beneficial for teams. People will point to the short rest but you get a game under your belt and get rid of the jitters that comes from playing in the NCAA tourney since you have already won a game.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
I'm not just saying this because Clemson is playing well (I can't actually see the game but they are winning) but does anyone else think playing in the play in game will actually be beneficial for teams. People will point to the short rest but you get a game under your belt and get rid of the jitters that comes from playing in the NCAA tourney since you have already won a game.

They are not winning.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
Pearl was definitely in the wrong regarding the Illinois situation. It was a low thing to do. But it was 20+ years ago. Let it go. It didn't affect the program like most Illinois fans claim it did.

Illinois fans are pissed b/c they think the program would have been "Duke-esque" over the last 20 years if they hadn't gone on probation due to the NCAA investigation that stemmed from Pearl's allegations. Literally, I have been told by Illinois fans that you guys would have been as good as Duke if Pearl hadn't brought on the NCAA investigation.

Well, guess what? If Illinois hadn't been cheating, they wouldn't have gotten in trouble. Pearl should not have brought light onto the program with the Deon Thomas accusations, but Illinois was still committing multiple NCAA violations and it's their fault for that. They deserved what they got.I do agree with you on one thing. Pearl should be suspended from coaching for at least a year (maybe two) for his violations.

As has been said, this is flat wrong. Illinois (Mike White) had committed multiple, major violations with its football program several years before, but nothing major was ever found with respect to hoops. I was in law school there at the time and attended press conferences, read reports, followed everything very closely. The facts are, even after Pearl's illegal tape recording and his slandering of Jimmy Collins and Deon Thomas, the only things the NCAA ever found in its resulting investigation was improper use of complimentary tickets by former players; setting NCAA Tournament tickets aside for high school coaches to buy; some untimely recruiting contacts, and that preferential treatment was given to existing players on loan applications by a Decatur bank, wholly apart from the school. Rules violations? Yes, absolutely. But not "cheating" in the sense of lying, bribing recruits, or cover ups.

I'm pretty orange and blue, but not one of those who can turn a blind eye and claim my school did no wrong. It clearly did in football, which is partly why it got punished as it did in basketball. And anyone who claims the Illlini would have won multiple championships but for Pearl's crap is as delusional as he is dirty (and he's filthy dirty).

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)

This may be true if a team gets a better schedule. Clemson finished playing Tuesday night after 11 PM, flew straight to Tampa, getting there at the early hours of the morning. Then had a game around noon on Thursday, I assume cause the networks wanted MSU/UCLA at night. That's 36 hours between games with travel, they only had a shootaround Wednesday, no real practice. I guess that goes with the territory if you are a last team in, but it is still was a huge disadvantage.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
Having the option to watch every game is so awesome. I really hope this becomes the norm in the future.

I was about to post the same thing.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 11:22 PM)
Having the option to watch every game is so awesome. I really hope this becomes the norm in the future.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 11:28 PM)
I was about to post the same thing.

It's been this way online for at least the last two years.

In my family bracket pool, my mom picked a Tennessee-Illinois national championship game b/c that's where her son goes and where her husband went to school. She's not going to win the pool, but gotta love Mom for having our back. Haha

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 10:25 PM)
So I thought the Big 10 sucked and should only get 4 teams in? 5 and 2 in the first round (I refuse to acknowledge the new "first round") and the 2 losses were by a combine 4 points.

I thought the same thing about the Big Ten going in, but then I saw the bracket. 5-2 is probably about where they should have been. The 3 favorites won and the 4 7-10 seeds went 2-2. Nothing spectacular there.

Also, I'll post again that for as much as Mike Davis drove me nuts with his lackadaisical effort and no show performances for 2 and a half years the last 2 and a alf months he has been Illinois's best and most consistent player and I think I'm to the point where I will actually miss him next year and if I could have one senior back it would be Davis without even thinking twice. I wish the light would have went on sooner because the kid could have been an absolute monster at the college level but I'm still enjoying his play right now and hopefully he has a handfull of games left in his college career.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 12:05 AM)
After a great first 6 hours or so of the tournament, the games since have been dreadful. Only the GMU/Nova game and Memphis/Arizona game had any drama today. Sunday's games should be pretty good.

Yeah it has. The First Four was a complete crapfest. Then just about all but 3 games since the afternoon games on Thursday have been pretty one-sided.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
I keep hearing Mike Anderson to Arkansas. Dan, any word?

I'm hearing rumors as well, but nothing concrete. The current buzz is about Otto Porter possibly committing so I don't think it's as close as you may think if you're asking. The rumors don't really make sense to me considering Nolan Richardson left Arkansas on terrible terms and still seems to hold a grudge. Considering Anderson was a long time assistant under Nolan and Nolan has been at numerous Mizzou games since Anderson became the coach, I don't see Anderson going against Richardson's loyalty.