Time To Change The Business Model

BearingPro

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
What about acquiring Danks and Floyd?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
Trading for Quentin, drafting Beckham, signing Viciedo and Alexei

I thought these were great moves, as well.

Drafting Sale.

QUOTE (BearingPro @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 10:52 PM)
The WS had better turn back to drafting, developing and promoting.

This half-assed piecemeal approach is not working. It's time to bring up the young guys and build for the future. I want Morel, Flowers, Jordan Danks, Jared Mitchell and Viciedo playing full time next year.

Turn back to? Thats exactly when they have been doing the last 3 years for the most part. This is one of the more talent-laden major league teams the Sox have had as far as young players and the best minor league system they have had in quite awhile. Not really sure what you mean. Maybe you meant you are frustrated and needed something to possibly point to?

As far as trading away prospects go... it's actually GOOD for the Sox when a prospect is traded and finds success with another club. That makes other teams that much more likely to trade their talent for Sox prospects. If every Sox prospect sucked when they got to another team, GMs would be reluctant to trade with us.

I actually root for Richard and Hudson. Maybe Cleveland will see that and go ahead and sign off on that Chin Soo Choo for Lucas Harrell trade... :lolhitting

This is an absolutely awesome post and quite frankly, the one that makes the most sense.

The meatheads (fans and media alike) love Kenny when he makes these outrageously bold moves by morgaging our future for quick-fix verterans. Truth be told, the 2005 team was put together with many low risk high reward smaller deals.

Fans hate teams that are rebuildibng, but Kenny has screwed this organization up so badly that at this point, we may have no other choice. It will be a miracle if we don't lose 90 games either next year or in 2012, based on the players we will lose to free agency and the very poor shape oiur farm system is in. So if you lose 90 games with a rebuilding team or 90 games with one of KW's half assed roster hybrids (with a $90-100 million payroll), what's the diffference? Do you think that fans will want to see either team?

Sorry I concur. You wonder how 2005 even worked out. I guess it was a fluke. I'm more than happy to literally rebuild--although I think we can keep some of the veterans--and have a quality product on the field year after year like, sorry, the Twins. I thought that's what we did in 2005--we decided to follow their model (of playing, at least).

But it seems the last decade we've had a mish-mash of a few All Stars, some aging veterans trying to have that big final year, mid- to low-level talent we've signed as an experiment to bring back from the dead, and would-be rookies who were supposed to chew it up but floundered hopelessly until they disappeared or were traded away.

It's not the losing of the division that drives me nuts, it's the bi-polar nature of these teams, save for 2005. At least in 2006 they split it into two halves--first half, amazing; second half, dismal.

Since then, though, we're hot then cold then hot then cold... this year was odd in that we sucked for two months straight, then dominated for a month, then slid back into playing .500 to sub-.500 ball, never building on that momentum. Like with stocks, I'm tired of the super-high volatility index. Or weirdness where we can't get past the Royals but then we sweep the Red Sox. WTF?

So yes, I'm willing to start over and re-think the system.

It's not the losing of the division that drives me nuts, it's the bi-polar nature of these teams, save for 2005. At least in 2006 they split it into two halves--first half, amazing; second half, dismal.

Since then, though, we're hot then cold then hot then cold... this year was odd in that we sucked for two months straight, then dominated for a month, then slid back into playing .500 to sub-.500 ball, never building on that momentum. Like with stocks, I'm tired of the super-high volatility index. Or weirdness where we can't get past the Royals but then we sweep the Red Sox. WTF?

Excellent post. The bipolar aspect of the Sox drives a lot of us crazy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
Turn back to? Thats exactly when they have been doing the last 3 years for the most part. This is one of the more talent-laden major league teams the Sox have had as far as young players and the best minor league system they have had in quite awhile. Not really sure what you mean. Maybe you meant you are frustrated and needed something to possibly point to?

Not many home grown players in the line up tonight. I want kids drafted and taught to play baseball the correct way...bunting, fielding, situational hitting, running bases. It's difficult to teach castoffs the "White Sox Way" when they bring baggage with them. Individual talent exists but the players need to become a team, doing whats right when its required.

If you are happy with the State of the White Sox , I'm happy for you. I want more.

QUOTE (BearingPro @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
Not many home grown players in the line up tonight. I want kids drafted and taught to play baseball the correct way...bunting, fielding, situational hitting, running bases. It's difficult to teach castoffs the "White Sox Way" when they bring baggage with them. Individual talent exists but the players need to become a team, doing whats right when its required.

If you are happy with the State of the White Sox , I'm happy for you. I want more.

I could give a f*** if our team is was homegrown or all acquired. We do need to keep drafting well (our past 2-3 drafts have been good, but they need to continue to improve), so that we can keep guys our trade for stud players. If we have to draft a Longoria to get a player like that, fine, if we have to draft well to trade for a guy like that, great. Bottom line is that we dont have much bullets to fight with right now and we dont have good replacements for expensive/old players.

QUOTE (BearingPro @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
I want kids drafted and taught to play baseball the correct way...bunting, fielding, situational hitting, running bases. It's difficult to teach castoffs the "White Sox Way" when they bring baggage with them. Individual talent exists but the players need to become a team, doing whats right when its required.

Why, when the Sox lose, do so many people think things would be better if the Sox could just bunt more (or better)? The Sox already bunt way too much. The Sox lost tonight because the pitching got shelled. If Gavin pitches like an ace, the Sox win. It also would help if the Sox had one or two more players that could hit the snot out of the ball on a semi-regular basis. I'd rather see that than a bunch of homegrown Nick Puntos.

As far as teaching the "White Sox Way" and fielding, the best gloves on the field tonight for the Sox were Rios and Ramirez neither of which learned to field in the Sox minor league system.

The Sox need better players. From anywhere.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
It's a shame that in a major market like Chicago that 87/88 wins is somewhat acceptable to some folks.

I the previous post was simple saying that an 88-win team is not necessarily one that needs to be blown up. Nothing was said about it being somewhat acceptable. At 88 wins, it's possible to argue that instead of blowing it up, slight improvement is needed. I don't know if that's the case, but I do think it's not rational to want AAA Charlotte playing in Chicago next season because the 2010 Sox lost to the Twins. It's a shame that in a major market like Chicago people want to see a 70(?) win team next season.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
I would still like to see us play the kids for the rest of the season. f*** the pride crap Ozzie. Season is pretty much over, though I'm sure he will still play the vets since were not "mathematically eliminated."

They are in job preservation mode. Get to 90 wins and call this season a success.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:46 PM)
They are in job preservation mode. Get to 90 wins and call this season a success.

Actually guys like Jenks and AJ are in job preservation mode. Kenny's got some decisions to make on veterans. Why not let them play the season out. The kids will still be around if Kenny doesn't trade them.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
It's a shame that in a major market like Chicago that 87/88 wins is somewhat acceptable to some folks.

I'm not saying that I'm pleased or its acceptable. I just wouldn't call it sickening and wouldn't expect nor want the Sox to rebuild the whole thing right now. The rotation still looks pretty formidable next year (hoping that Peavy should come back healthy at some point) and there is definitely some talent on the diamond.

18 of the 30 other teams in MLB are having worst seasons than the Sox, so if they are sickening, I can only imagine what the other ones must feel.

If you want the rebuilding process to go down, just wait to see what a major market like Chicago thinks of a 65 or 70 win season.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
Actually guys like Jenks and AJ are in job preservation mode. Kenny's got some decisions to make on veterans. Why not let them play the season out. The kids will still be around if Kenny doesn't trade them.

A few weeks of games for the kids in the big stadiums with some fans in them is good experience. Its nearly impossible to judge how a kid can play in the thin air of Arizona. If that was a good place to judge talent Brian Anderson would be our 3 hole hitter.

The vets have had a long season that has vetted out most of the peaks and valleys. They have a history that isnt going to be overwritten by a few games in September. The better use of the remaining games is to get the kids out on the field and see what they can do.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
Why, when the Sox lose, do so many people think things would be better if the Sox could just bunt more (or better)? The Sox already bunt way too much. The Sox lost tonight because the pitching got shelled. If Gavin pitches like an ace, the Sox win. It also would help if the Sox had one or two more players that could hit the snot out of the ball on a semi-regular basis. I'd rather see that than a bunch of homegrown Nick Puntos.

As far as teaching the "White Sox Way" and fielding, the best gloves on the field tonight for the Sox were Rios and Ramirez neither of which learned to field in the Sox minor league system.

The Sox need better players. From anywhere.

Only until this season Ramirez would not be even considered a great fielder. He played much better once Omar started playing 3rd.

The station to station and homerun or nothing hasn't made the Sox win either. They need to find the right balance.

Still people overlook the obvious that the pitching was the paper tiger.

Danks and Floyd may be regressing when they should be progressing.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
The vets have had a long season that has vetted out most of the peaks and valleys. They have a history that isnt going to be overwritten by a few games in September. The better use of the remaining games is to get the kids out on the field and see what they can do.

Not really when other teams are putting out their minor leaguers.

I think we will see the kids but in small doses.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:49 PM)
We really wouldn't even be having this convo if just HALF of this team had their head outta their ass the first few months of the season...

No no no, we must find someone else to blame rather than the team that hit <.200 and had era for a couple months. there must be someone to blame.>

The truth is, if we played even mediocre, not even average just not-horrifically, for the start of the season we easily win 5-10 more games. The team was so unbelievably bad in the beginning its comical that people are blaming everyone but the f***ing players themselves.