Konerko to address free agency before TH game

fathom

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
Well...if you got the 2008 Quentin, you've done it. If you got the 2nd half of 2006 Teahen...ditto.

The thing to note though...if we've got $10-$15 million to play with...the only positions we can't start the offseason thinking "I have a guy I can put there next year" is 2 bullpen spots; Putz and Closer. We could stick Flowers at Catcher and probably get similar production to what AJ gave us this year. Quentin to DH, Viciedo to 1b, Morel to 3b, Teahen to RF at least gives us a lineup. It would take a set of miracles for that lineup to win the Central...but it's a better starting point than I feared a few months back.

That offense would be a joke and pretty much the beginning of the end of KW/Ozzie if they put that out on the field.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
I wouldn't count on it. Flowers batted around .220 with a ton of Ks in AAA playing in a bandbox.

If you took enough time to think of his home ballpark then you would take enough time to look at his splits. He wasnt nearly as bad as his numbers.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 07:07 PM)
That offense would be a joke and pretty much the beginning of the end of KW/Ozzie if they put that out on the field.

Bah...that's what would happen with no deals and an $85 million salary. That's not an obviosly winning roster, but it's not Seattle this year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
If you put Teahen in RF and Quentin at DH, then where will the actual offensive upgrades come from? Not a lot of spots in the lineup still open.

How many runs will you have saved not having two of the worst fielders at their respective positions in the game at the same spots again? Think of how many runs Quentin and Teahen have cost the Sox playing RF and 3B respectively.

It's not a sexy option, but with the resources the White Sox have handicapped themselves with, it's not the worst decision in the world.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
If you put Teahen in RF and Quentin at DH, then where will the actual offensive upgrades come from? Not a lot of spots in the lineup still open.

Agreed, what are the chances Viciedo could put similar numbers to Paulie given a full season?

If they managed to put Quentin at DH, I hope we are getting a sick bat to fill in RF because this team will need an offense.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 2, 2010 -> 08:36 AM)
Agreed, what are the chances Viciedo could put similar numbers to Paulie given a full season?

If they managed to put Quentin at DH, I hope we are getting a sick bat to fill in RF because this team will need an offense.

what about Choo from Cleveland? it's not a "sick" bat, but at least the guy can field, throw, and hit!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)
Would you give up Sale + another big piece or two for him? Let's say Sale + Viciedo + Morel?

No way. One thing I didn't check before I posted. For some resaon I thought that Choo was a FA. Since he's not, yeah, you're right! They would want an arm and a leg. We've already given up enough of the farm. Don't need to keep doing that.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Oct 2, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
what about Choo from Cleveland? it's not a "sick" bat, but at least the guy can field, throw, and hit!

I am the biggest Choo fan, but people on this board need to realize that Cleveland is not that stupid. Considering Sizemore's injuries, he is their most important franchise position player, even at his age with his military commitments. The Indians WILL NOT trade him for anything not including Beckham.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 2, 2010 -> 11:59 PM)
I am the biggest Choo fan, but people on this board need to realize that Cleveland is not that stupid. Considering Sizemore's injuries, he is their most important franchise position player, even at his age with his military commitments. The Indians WILL NOT trade him for anything not including Beckham.

Seriously. Choo is a top 25 player in the game right now. And if Cleveland did decide to deal him, they'd shop him around and do whatever they could to deal him outside the division. They could get a massive haul from another organization that is most certainly not the White Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 3, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)
KW: “We certainly have to get a left-handed hitter in here who can do some damage.”

Gonzales twitter

Jim Thome

Sadly that ship has sailed. Ozzie would just bench him to prove he wasn't wrong. Thome might well get a ring this year and call it quits anyway.