White Sox Sign Dunn

Vote4Pedro

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 11:01 PM)
How did trading Linebrink free up $4 million....?

Wouldn't it be just $2 million saved that could be reallocated theoretically? Or did I miss something?

I think he's using the $1.5 million number and not the actual $3.5 mil.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 08:17 PM)
Did you really need to dissect that post?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 08:19 PM)
Honestly...I think a few of us are glad someone other than us did it, just so it's done.

People have the right to their own opinions (no matter how ridiculous), and there ARE flaws in Dunn's game, as there are with almost every player. He expressed his, but it got destroyed because he didn't back it up with any factual information. If he backs it up with solid, sound reasoning, it might make sense.

---

In my lifetime, this is one of the Sox 2 best free agent signing at the time, before taking into consideration production - when Jermaine Dye and others can be considered - with Belle being the other one, and his contract was pretty crappy for the Sox...I believe it was a 5/$50, but with the out-clause after year 2, which Belle exercised and then went to Baltimore. Dunn doesn't have that type of outclause and should be able to produce very well throughout the duration of his contract. The only other free agent signing I can think of that could ultimately be better than Dunn is Fisk. Hopefully Dunn surpasses him.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 11:56 PM)
Let's wait until we actually have a constructed bullpen. There could be a new Linebrink in 2011.

I hope the White Sox don't sign another reliever to a 4-year, $19 mill deal only to see him turn into a POS halfway through the first year. Linebrink was a special kind of bad. It takes a certain mix of bad scouting, bad signing, and bad, bad performance to get a Scott Linebrink on your roster.

Atleast he was a good guy in the clubhouse...I'm sure the Sox will (legitimately) miss that.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 07:38 PM)
I don't mind Dunn being the DH but I can't believe how much the Sox overpaid for him. s***.

When you consider that the Sox could get a much better hitter like Vlad Guerrero on a two or three year deal at $ 6-7 mil per or even Thome on a 1 year deal for $ 4-5 mil. and Thome's better at 41 than Dunn is at 31.

There's just no way that Dunn as a DH and not even close to being one of the best hitters in baseball or even a valuable player should command $ 14 mil. per year. Pujols will get $ 25 mil. per and if he was only a DH he would get much less and he's three times the hitter.

It's just a huge overpayment. And, now how do the Sox convince Konerko to take less money than Dunn when he is clearly a far better baseball player.

Dunn as a DH is a 6.0 WAR player. 6 more wins a season. That is HUGE.

There are only a handful of those guys in baseball.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 03:27 AM)
Does anybody (aside from TitoMB) think Dunn will break Belle's single season home run record (49)? If so, do you think he'll be able to do it more than once during this contract?

No. The most he's ever hit was 46, and the next most he's hit was 40 - he's done that 4 times. I understand that he's moving from a pitchers park to a hitters park, but he played in a great hitters park before going to Arizona and then Washington. I think the most he hits is about 45, which is still a pretty incredible number and, unless I am not thinking of something (Dye hit 42, Thomas 43, and I don't think they had anyone before that), would still be good for 2nd most in White Sox history.

The more important matter in all of this is that Adam Dunn is f***ing good. I don't believe that can be stressed enough.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 02:11 AM)
Dunn as a DH is a 6.0 WAR player. 6 more wins a season. That is HUGE.

There are only a handful of those guys in baseball.

He's not a 6 WAR player as a DH. He's a 4 WAR player at DH. His max potential is probably a 5 WAR DH, which is pretty damn incredible. It's very hard for a DH to eclipse 5 WAR because of the -17.5 positional adjustment for the position. That's like being a -5 fielder at 1B or a -10 fielder in LF or RF.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 02:04 AM)
I am super pumped about this signing. I think this is going to be a huge boost for this club. Dunn is going to hit at least 53 homers for this team. Book it.

I don't understand why some think that Dunn's homerun total will rise significantly. Washington's park is no bigger than the Cell.

Remember, he will be coming to the American League.

If there is one undisputable thing about Adam, it is that he is amazingly consistent.

Therefore, I expect him to hit his perrenial 40 homers, no more, no less.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 06:09 PM)
Do you think that maybe he'd tell Boras to get something done with the Sox if he has a good season, given that he has only been successful when he pitched for an ALC club, or do you think he's gone after the season? I assume you mean that he's not going anywhere this offseason, but what about when he becomes a FA? Does anybody think that there is any chance that Jackson stays in Chicago past 2011?

I believe that Jackson is short ML service time, with 4.07 years, and therefore will not be a free agent until after 2012. If the Sox offer him arbitration, he would still be theirs at the end of this coming season.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 06:11 AM)
I don't understand why some think that Dunn's homerun total will rise significantly. Washington's park is no bigger than the Cell.

Remember, he will be coming to the American League.

If there is one undisputable thing about Adam, it is that he is amazingly consistent.

Therefore, I expect him to hit his perrenial 40 homers, no more, no less.

Dunn also played in Cincinatti which is as big of a launching pad as USCF. He may hit 50, but you could say that about him every year. Chances are you are correct and he hits right about 40.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 08:19 AM)
Dunn also played in Cincinatti which is as big of a launching pad as USCF. He may hit 50, but you could say that about him every year. Chances are you are correct and he hits right about 40.

That's about the number I have him pegged at, give or take 2.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 08:19 AM)

I think he may go crazy one year and hit 50, but I'm in agreement with you guys that he will hit roughly 40 every year -- which is awesome.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 07:19 AM)
I believe that Jackson is short ML service time, with 4.07 years, and therefore will not be a free agent until after 2012. If the Sox offer him arbitration, he would still be theirs at the end of this coming season.

That service time number is as of January of 2010 (see the brackets on B-R) and therefore doesn't count last year. He's a FA after 2011. If you scroll down to the bottom, you can see the contract status; it will tell you arb-eligible years.

It has probably already been discussed somewhere, but AJ and Dunn's deals are backloaded, which will free up the money to resign PK.

I am liking that scenario.

Beckham/Rios/Konerko/Dunn/TCQ/Ramirez

I'd still like another good lefty bat somewhere...Teahen and Kotsay don't excite me at all, but we're shaping up a team to make a run next year.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)
It has probably already been discussed somewhere, but AJ and Dunn's deals are backloaded, which will free up the money to resign PK.

I am liking that scenario.

Beckham/Rios/Konerko/Dunn/TCQ/Ramirez

I'd still like another good lefty bat somewhere...Teahen and Kotsay don't excite me at all, but we're shaping up a team to make a run next year.

Kotsay is a free agent. I dont think Kenny will be re-signing him or at least i hope he doesnt

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 12:02 AM)
People have the right to their own opinions (no matter how ridiculous), and there ARE flaws in Dunn's game, as there are with almost every player. He expressed his, but it got destroyed because he didn't back it up with any factual information. If he backs it up with solid, sound reasoning, it might make sense.

---

People say opinions can't be wrong but his is wrong, period.