Yankees to offer 3 years $45 million to Jeter

southsider2k5

I saw this on ESPN the other day. Ridiculous. Jeter is worth nowhere near that as a player, and at 37 years old coming off his worst season, isn't likely to get any better. It must be nice to have so much money that you can afford to pay a player that much money for his charisma, leadership, and being a fan-favorite rather than his skills.

Oh, and I really can't believe he wants more. He has no leverage at all. No one else is going to offer him anything close to that.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
I saw this on ESPN the other day. Ridiculous. Jeter is worth nowhere near that as a player, and at 37 years old coming off his worst season, isn't likely to get any better. It must be nice to have so much money that you can afford to pay a player that much money for his charisma, leadership, and being a fan-favorite rather than his skills.

Oh, and I really can't believe he wants more. He has no leverage at all. No one else is going to offer him anything close to that.

And the crazy thing is that it isn't like he was underpaid before, and the Yankees are just making up for that. He is coming off of a 10 year $190 million contract. He has been overpaid for years now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
And the crazy thing is that it isn't like he was underpaid before, and the Yankees are just making up for that. He is coming off of a 10 year $190 million contract. He has been overpaid for years now.

Yet, he's been worth every cent to them.

What do you mean?! He won the Gold Glove!

Yankees have all the leverage in the world here. They can stay at that offer until Jeter accepts because no team is going to offer more years and more money, and he isn't going to sign somewhere else for a lesser salary just to spite the Yankees. It's ridiculous that $15 million per year isn't enough for an average starting shortstop. If Jeter is worth $15 per year, what the hell is Alexei?

I think the whole thing is ridiculous. I understand that people say "yes, but he's worth it to the Yankees as the captain/face of the franchise/only team he's ever played for" stuff. But either MLB is a market economy or it's not. There is no reason the Yankees should have to pay Jeter a dime more than the next biggest offer from another team. His market value is (or should be) his market value- that is the whole point of free agency.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)
I think the whole thing is ridiculous. I understand that people say "yes, but he's worth it to the Yankees as the captain/face of the franchise/only team he's ever played for" stuff. But either MLB is a market economy or it's not. There is no reason the Yankees should have to pay Jeter a dime more than the next biggest offer from another team. His market value is (or should be) his market value- that is the whole point of free agency.

Are you suggesting that players are worth the same regardless of city? And as soon as other factors are tossed in, on both sides, the dollar values change. Take something as easy as state income taxes. Playing half of your games in Texs, without a state income tax is worth something to a player. Living in New York, with it's cost of living, is different than living in Minneapolis with theirs. Then the marketing department gets involved. Some players will sell more tickets in one city than another.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 20, 2010 -> 06:48 AM)
Are you suggesting that players are worth the same regardless of city? And as soon as other factors are tossed in, on both sides, the dollar values change. Take something as easy as state income taxes. Playing half of your games in Texs, without a state income tax is worth something to a player. Living in New York, with it's cost of living, is different than living in Minneapolis with theirs. Then the marketing department gets involved. Some players will sell more tickets in one city than another.

The players (and their agents) are left to decide which is the best offer the market provides. It's not like any other team is going to offer Jeter anything even remotely close to what the Yankees are offering. Heck, almost all of the teams out there wouldn't even let Jeter be a SS anymore- they'd sign him to play 2B or maybe an Omar Vizquel-like super sub role.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 06:38 PM)
That A-rod deal is really hurting them in this situation. He is signed til he is 42, so Jeter wants the same thing.

Yes. You talk ridiculous contracts and Alex Rodriguez is the poster child. But, that was started by Texas and then reinforced bythe Yankmees, who have done nobody any favors with their out of control spending on FA's

Sorry but I like Jeter and think he's great for baseball. I hope he takes the deal and retires a Yankee.

I don't want to see him do a Frank Thomas and end up in some alien uniform to finish out his career.

That offer does seem awfully generous. Wonder why he wants more years than that. I mean, when retired, do you think that man will sit more than a week before being hired as on-air talent by FOX or somebody?

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
Sorry but I like Jeter and think he's great for baseball. I hope he takes the deal and retires a Yankee.

I don't want to see him do a Frank Thomas and end up in some alien uniform to finish out his career.

That offer does seem awfully generous. Wonder why he wants more years than that. I mean, when retired, do you think that man will sit more than a week before being hired as on-air talent by FOX or somebody?

Like somebody said before, he has to do better than A-Rod, or something along those lines.

Jeter's ego is too large not to be fed with a long and expensive contract.